"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
MUUHUUHAAHAAAAAA! IT HAS APPEARED IN MY ITUNES. Dear God....Am I ready for this? digital booklet ready...check. Beer ready...check. Let the Book of Souls take me unto its pages :devil:
Please do real-time updates in this thread with your impressions during your first listen. All of you! I kind of wish I was doing it all over again, but at the same time, my body still shakes like it was last friday every time I start a new session.

I think so. But its soooo much. And its all go go go, barely takes a breath. Wondering if it needs a breath/ or some light and shade somewhere. But I know from past experiences these albums take time to blossom..Think I need a break before I go to the last 3 songs. Phew!

So far...BOS and TOAC stand out.....Jesus..wow! TOAC is a real surprise :clap:
Never judge a book by its cover (song by its title)

Yes, it was overwhelming on first listen. Second was much more enjoyable. You're able to really pay attention because you're not as surprised.

That is what I love about Maiden. You must LISTEN to get it all. And each time you listen the more amazing and beautiful it gets.

It's funny, because this time it was the complete opposite for me. After my first listen, I was totally blown over (the somewhat cheesy post with me in actual tears would work as proof of that - but I stand behind it. I had also had a few glasses of wine so my emotions were probably riding my skin already). I normally need a much longer time frame to deepen the relationship to most music, as most of us do, but this time, it hit an existential tone within me that I never really felt before. Not only is it perhaps the most emotional album they have done; there are some musical hooks there that I never expected to hear. I fell in love instantly.

I know that this is stupid question but this forum for me is first time when I use english outside of reading documentation for my job…
… can someone explain for me term "musical hook"?

I know that this is stupid question but this forum for me is first time when I use english outside of reading documentation for my job…
A Hook is that catchy part of the song that you keep playing in your head, the part that makes you want to listen to the song again. It's a different thing for every song sometimes it's a riff or sometimes its a melody or something else entirely

A hook, musically or in any art form, is exactly that. It hooks you, or grabs your attention, just as a fishing hook is used to catch a fish.

I guess it's a lick, riff or repeated phrase that "hooks" you. Sticks in your head, makes you repeat in your brain. A catchy section I guess. Hooks in you

Oh, now I get it. Sadly my mind work like mind of con man and I'm always looking for trick or lie so when you say "musical hook" I start to look for part that was almost artificially designed to catch my attention. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back