"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, now I get it. Sadly my mind work like mind of con man and I'm always looking for trick or lie so when you say "musical hook" I start to look for part that was almost artificially designed to catch my attention. :)
sometimes this can be true, especially in pop music

Oh, now I get it. Sadly my mind work like mind of con man and I'm always looking for trick or lie so when you say "musical hook" I start to look for part that was almost artificially designed to catch my attention. :)

Hard to say what you think of when you say "artificial", but I hardly believe any songwriter would write a song without being fully aware of what its hooks are. Steve seems especially fond of "woah"-chants as hooks. A bit cheesy (or artificial, if you like), but it works for his songs.

I know that this is stupid question but this forum for me is first time when I use english outside of reading documentation for my job…
… can someone explain for me term "musical hook"?
I will tell you what I mean (I'm no musician). A hook could be a riff, a particual rythm, a passage that "hooks" you into the music. In the case of BOS, I will write some of these down:

1. The way Bruce emphasize the ending of the some words in IESF: "illusioNNNN", "delusioNNN" etc.
2. The guitar that follows the vocals in TRATB. Maidens version of the Blues, I guess.
3. The way the guitar delays a tiny bit longer than Bruce during the third and fourth cycle in the song above. Subtle and clever. For me, spine chilling.
4. That they stomp on right through with more intensity for every cycle after the OOOOAAAHs in the song above. Brilliant. I feel I wanna punch my boss in the face.
5. The lyrical melody of BOS. Fantastic. All of it.
6. The beginning of SOTV - like standing in a windy, dusty wasteland.
7. The lyrical melody of TMOS starting at 2.00. So filled with despair. Like a falling man from a tall building.
8. The intensity of EOTC that starts right before 13.00. The ship is burning and falling. I could have had a whole song with this.

Those are just a few of them I guess..

How to explain that… I work in marketing, sometimes I use certain image or word just to cause certain reaction. It's not natural process beacuse I know how to trigger it and I use that knowledge. Same go for music.

Here's one take on what a hook is all about...

Note that the backing chords are themselves one of the oldest musical hooks you know: the chords of Pachelbel's Canon, the most overplayed and cliched chord progression in all music. Yes, that's a deliberate point by the band.

Edit: lyrics, for those who don't play the video:
It doesn't matter what I say
So long as I sing with inflection
That makes you feel I'll convey
Some inner truth or vast reflection
But I've said nothing so far
And I can keep it up for as long as it takes
And it don't matter who you are
If I'm doing my job then it's your resolve that breaks

Because the hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

There is something amiss
I am being insincere
In fact I don't mean any of this
Still my confession draws you near
To confuse the issue I refer
To familiar heroes from long ago
No matter how much Peter loved her
What made the Pan refuse to grow

Was that the hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Wow. so basic, much hook.
Doge_276946_5006516.jpg

18 hours to go.

Get up, run, watch En Vivo and maybe Rock in Rio, drive frantically to the record store, drive even faster home, put CD in, enjoy.

I thought it would be easier the closer I get but it's harder. Ugh. I can't wait to finally discuss this with everyone soon.

18 hours to go.

Get up, run, watch En Vivo and maybe Rock in Rio, drive frantically to the record store, drive even faster home, put CD in, enjoy.

I thought it would be easier the closer I get but it's harder. Ugh. I can't wait to finally discuss this with everyone soon.
Listen to Redeemer of Souls. Trust me.

Naaah… I mean, it's great album but to be honest I love Rocka Rolla… :)

Oh! If language is not issue - try album from polish band Kat. They're amazing.

Or to this little gem:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back