"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just glancing at all the album covers here in my itunes listing, and I noticed an odd division...

The Iron Maiden logo is obviously at the top of every album cover. The album title started out in the top half as well, and stayed that way through Somewhere In Time.

But starting with Seventh Son, Maiden moved the album title to the bottom of the cover. There has been only one exception to this: Brave New World.

(Edit: I'm talking about studio albums only.)

The popmatters review is pretty cool.
Another positive review which seems objective as well.
I believe there has yet to be a negative assessment of the TBOS.:)

This doesn't necessarily have anything to do what anyone has said in this thread, but I'd just like to point out that I like the idea of a double album. I don't see changing CD as a problem, since both CDs are quite long by themselves. They're both about the length of SSOASS, and i never had an issue taking out that CD and changing it for SIT, or whatever it might be. I actually like it, because it gives a breather and is something new for Maiden, which adds something unique to this already amazing experience.
And if the band would think they should shorten down the album to fit it into a single CD, it would interfere with the artistic creativity. The art is created from the soul and a result of the band releasing their inner creativity. To start cutting in that would be to hold back what their mind intended to be the actual piece of work.
This. You seem to be able to read my mind :notworthy:

Yeah, at this point I don't think this album can get honest bad review.

If you browse around there seems to still be that crowd of people who hate everything post 2000 and still complain about Maiden not "progressing" enough. Some of the shit I've been reading has been incredible. One guy is actually saying the new album sucks and their last good album was...wait for it...

No Prayer For The Dying.

If you browse around there seems to still be that crowd of people who hate everything post 2000 and still complain about Maiden not "progressing" enough. Some of the shit I've been reading has been incredible. One guy is actually saying the new album sucks and their last good album was...wait for it...

No Prayer For The Dying.

That's (NPFTD) one of their poorest albums.
It's hard to make an argument for that album having more than 4 or 5 decent songs.

Hey, buy you know that's my favorite album? But it's more nostalgia/fun thing that "NPFTD blow out of water every other album". :)

Just glancing at all the album covers here in my itunes listing, and I noticed an odd division...

The Iron Maiden logo is obviously at the top of every album cover. The album title started out in the top half as well, and stayed that way through Somewhere In Time.

But starting with Seventh Son, Maiden moved the album title to the bottom of the cover. There has been only one exception to this: Brave New World.

(Edit: I'm talking about studio albums only.)
Good spot there. Yea I'd say BNW title would get lost against future city at the bottom. Powerslave was a nice design decision. Wasn't too into the side logo on FOTD. I also think that DOD cover looks ok as a tiny iTunes listing. It's just when you blow it up you go :facepalm:

One guy is actually saying the new album sucks and their last good album was...wait for it...No Prayer For The Dying.

I actually like that album a lot funnily enough! As an old school fan since '84 I haven't loved the newer albums as I do the early stuff but, it's crazy to assume a band full of great musicians would want to stay in the same formula album after album. If Maiden had never chosen to change course musically, they would have been done when Bruce left. That formula was played out. More on that at the end of this post.

It holds it's place obviously & not that they can't achieve that type of music anymore but, it's obvious they don't want to. People not liking the new stuff simply cause it ain't the old stuff are just trolls & haters. In bits & pieces Maiden does offer it however. In the TRATB, IESF & TBOS, I hear vintage Maiden. Great Maiden. Stuff that ranks up there with their very best.

The rest is the new formula. Some vintage Maiden sounds but, much less speed, edge & aggressiveness. They offer 2-3 truly great Maiden metal tracks per album but, the majority of new stuff is a new formula & it's worked for them.

The days of Maiden being a straight ahead Metal band are over sadly. TMOS, TOAC & WTRRD are just wasted track imho. There is zero energy or passion to them. They are average at best tracks for ordinary artists. For Maiden they are substandard to me. Even songs like DOG, SOL & SOTV, which have that Maiden feel to them but, they music isn't what it should be. Bruce saves a lot of this album imho. Those 3 songs in particular could have been AMAZING with more Maiden-esque riffage.

I find a lot of this album enjoyable but, far less Metal than I've ever heard from Maiden before & that's what I do not like. I think this should be the last one in all honesty. Even this formula seems to have run it's course over the years. They've been at it this way, longer than the golden years actually. Both styles are played out. It's a solid 7.5 outta 10 for me so, it would be a fine time to walk away. I'd hate to see them put out a really lousy album trying to cling to greatness like some other bands.

I agree almost with everything you said. But I don't mind that songs lack this "maiden feeling" - they are more mature, older so music picture that changes in their life. I miss aggressive songs but I still enjoy what I get. How to put this - while classic Maiden made me rise my fist and scream this album make mi think about so many things and I prefer that. I love to use my imagination and new Maiden do just that.

I actually like that album a lot funnily enough! As an old school fan since '84 I haven't loved the newer albums as I do the early stuff but, it's crazy to assume a band full of great musicians would want to stay in the same formula album after album. If Maiden had never chosen to change course musically, they would have been done when Bruce left. That formula was played out. More on that at the end of this post.

It holds it's place obviously & not that they can't achieve that type of music anymore but, it's obvious they don't want to. People not liking the new stuff simply cause it ain't the old stuff are just trolls & haters. In bits & pieces Maiden does offer it however. In the TRATB, IESF & TBOS, I hear vintage Maiden. Great Maiden. Stuff that ranks up there with their very best.

The rest is the new formula. Some vintage Maiden sounds but, much less speed, edge & aggressiveness. They offer 2-3 truly great Maiden metal tracks per album but, the majority of new stuff is a new formula & it's worked for them.

The days of Maiden being a straight ahead Metal band are over sadly. TMOS, TOAC & WTRRD are just wasted track imho. There is zero energy or passion to them. They are average at best tracks for ordinary artists. For Maiden they are substandard to me. Even songs like DOG, SOL & SOTV, which have that Maiden feel to them but, they music isn't what it should be. Bruce saves a lot of this album imho. Those 3 songs in particular could have been AMAZING with more Maiden-esque riffage.

I find a lot of this album enjoyable but, far less Metal than I've ever heard from Maiden before & that's what I do not like. I think this should be the last one in all honesty. Even this formula seems to have run it's course over the years. They've been at it this way, longer than the golden years actually. Both styles are played out. It's a solid 7.5 outta 10 for me so, it would be a fine time to walk away. I'd hate to see them put out a really lousy album trying to cling to greatness like some other bands.

I agree with this should be their last. I'm worried if they make another it won't be good. I don't want them going out like that.

Yeah, worst part is that I can't imagine them to make something better than BoS. Not beacuse they suck but beacuse BoS is so strong album.

Hey, buy you know that's my favorite album? But it's more nostalgia/fun thing that "NPFTD blow out of water every other album". :)

There are some great tracks on it.
Holy Smoke, BYDTTS, the title track and Tailgunner are some of my favourite Maiden songs.
I actually have 3 different versions of the album.
Cassette tape, picture disc vinyl and CD.
Anyway back on topic (TBOS). Just 4 more days until release.
It's getting close;-)

As amazing as this album was I have no doubts in my mind that another album would be at least really good. It would be sad to see them end after such a masterpiece and wonder of what coudl have been. But regardless, I wanna say, that if this was their last, NO OTHER BAND has produced such good music from start to finish under such a long period of time. It is really something incredibly special and I feel very privileged to be one of the people who appreciate and love their music.

I agree with this should be their last. I'm worried if they make another it won't be good. I don't want them going out like that.
Yeah, worst part is that I can't imagine them to make something better than BoS. Not beacuse they suck but beacuse BoS is so strong album.

It does feel like this album was wrote with the fact this might be the last album in mind. it seems like the last 35 years come to a head and bits & pieces of the previous 15 albums rolled into one Monster of a farewell album.

As amazing as this album was I have no doubts in my mind that another album would be at least really good. It would be sad to see them end after such a masterpiece and wonder of what coudl have been. But regardless, I wanna say, that if this was their last, NO OTHER BAND has produced such good music from start to finish under such a long period of time. It is really something incredibly special and I feel very privileged to be one of the people who appreciate and love their music.
Beautifully said Consumer. It is a privilege indeed :cheers:

I personally don't think it will be their last album.
From what the guys in the band have been saying I sort of get the feeling that they have one more album in them...
Here's hoping anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back