"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do the guitars sound so separated in some songs? It's like they're playing on a massive field and is each of them is standing in a different corner. Normally you'd hear 2 guitars playing a harmony and it sounds like 1 instrument. Now you have a lead guitar in your left ear , a lead guitar in your right ear, and in the middle a guitar playing rhythm and it sounds empty in between. I'm listening to the title track right now and you can barely hear the strings in the background. They sound tacked on. You'd expect to be surrounded by " the orchestra". The mixing is just very, very bad and I can't believe the band didn't think the same. I'm so far to say that the live version will actually sound more cohesive, which I usually think isn't the case with live Iron Maiden.
Oh My God ! Look ! A newbie giving a bad opinion ! Burn him !

Kidding.

Well, they don't sit well in the mix. Then again it might be due to my headphones. I think the low frequencies are not that dominant or something like that. They just sound strange, can't explain it in a better way.
I found that effect on guitars really disturbing too.

Well, they don't sit well in the mix. Then again it might be due to my headphones. I think the low frequencies are not that dominant or something like that. They just sound strange, can't explain it in a better way.
I have similar filling but I'll wait for better equipment. Sometimes I have feeling that drums are in another room.

Why do the guitars sound so separated in some songs? It's like they're playing on a massive field and is each of them is standing in a different corner. Normally you'd hear 2 guitars playing a harmony and it sounds like 1 instrument. Now you have a lead guitar in your left ear , a lead guitar in your right ear, and in the middle a guitar playing rhythm and it sounds empty in between. I'm listening to the title track right now and you can barely hear the strings in the background. They sound tacked on. You'd expect to be surrounded by " the orchestra". The mixing is just very, very bad and I can't believe the band didn't think the same. I'm so far to say that the live version will actually sound more cohesive, which I usually think isn't the case with live Iron Maiden.

Seems like Kevin Shitley is showing his famous skills once again, then... god damn him!

Which songs do you think suffer from a relatively lacklustre vocal peformance?

I felt like Bruce sounds a lot better throughout, on some songs on TFF he sounded a little strained (Mother of Mercy, The Talisman) whereas I haven't noticed that so far on this record. (Not on first listen anyway.)

In TGU, SOL, WTRRD.

I agree with this. Not per se lacklustre, but strained is indeed something that attributed to my impression that these numbers had the least enjoyable vocal work, in combination with the not very nice melodies.

I'm yet to hear the album with headphones, so i can't really comment on that. I heard the album on 2 CD's i burned in my DVD player at maximum sound level, so to me the drums really sounded huge. Especially the snare :rocker:

I have similar filling but I'll wait for better equipment. Sometimes I have feeling that drums are in another room.

Yes, something like that. It sounds a bit strange. I think the mix is a bit strange too. But on a positive note the guitar work is really amazing. Strange sounding production though.

The files you're all listening to at the moment at comparatively low quality. I don't think you can make any sure judgments on the sound until you get the official release.

I just don't get it. Should we all pine for those 90's albums? If anyone thinks TBOS isn't good, you are free to listen to NPFTD and FOTD.
Not a bad album at all. On contrary. I just do not agree with the "progressive" fact and find that some tracks are too long for nothing.

Just popping in to say "bye for now" to the rest of the regulars... it's getting too "spoiler-y" in here for my tastes.

I'll see you all in a week, if I can hold out for that long... :p

And don't tear each other to shreds just yet, we've got a world tour coming up you know! ;)

-Lego

Maybe that's what happens when you enter the studio without much fininished material and a producer who doesn't have the authority to point them in a proper direction. I haven't heard it yet, but judging from some information here I'm afraid I'll come to think the album should have been named "Iron Maiden jams for 1,5 hours while their producer is sleeping".

That's sadly what it sounds like. It's the direction of the last albums taken too far. It feels like an 'everything goes' release with good and bad ideas thrown into non-worked out arrangements just resulting in a mush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back