"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny thing - who, after listening to "Iron Maiden" would guess that after all those years there will be something like BoS?

Seems i have to justify my opinion. So, no, i'm not lost by uncommon music structure. Just to say that.

Been here since '12, thank you.

Been there since 12 o'clock. Thank you !

Maybe that's what happens when you enter the studio without much fininished material and a producer who doesn't have the authority to point them in a proper direction. I haven't heard it yet, but judging from some information here I'm afraid I'll come to think the album should have been named "Iron Maiden jams for 1,5 hours while their producer is sleeping".

Not at all. There are really very good tracks. The Man Of Sorrows is excellent by example.
BUT, longest tracks do not have the taste of a "rime of the ancient mariner". They really seems to jam, the producer capture that and that's all. I see no more explaination for that.
It reminds me Adrian Smith saying that he always thought that maiden album were not enought mixed well... not enough effect, etc... it is the case on that one too. A lot of time, i tought "well, why didn't they put a reverb there, a delay on that"...

And for the progressive evolution, it really is pure bullshitting. For me, they just use always the same recipe : a guitar pattern played on a chromatic scale... and everybody is saying "WOW Iron Maiden is getting progressive". No, for me that's not a progressive evolution.

Well not really only new members. Maturin is here for a while. But I can't believe how he disregards all those strong melodies. So much focus on imperfect playing instead.
I mean, by now, we know this band, do we? We know how this albums was approached?

There are strong melodies, great vocal performances, good drumming... but nothing really original. And when you've readed and listened interviews... it seems the band lied to fans. That's all.

Is it just me or is it that the drum sound is really disturbing?!Love Nicko's playing for the most part though!

Disc one finished. That was quite an emotional ride! The tone is very serious and brucie is from another world on this record. I lost for words.

Seems i have to justify my opinion. So, no, i'm not lost by uncommon music structure. Just to say that.
What? Yes, you should be able to justife your opinion. That's common sense. If you implying that we all know only Iron Maiden and your are some kind of Pro that know other kinds of music - it's just funny with my whore respect for you.

Just finished. I won't spoil anything (I feel guilty enough for listening to the leak, but I couldn't resist) ... But it's great. It's interesting, epic and a lot to take in. A must for every Maiden fan. If you're listening to Maiden because of the guitars, a double must then. I think it will be wildly discussed amongst the Maidenheads and the rest of the world alike and if they couldn't make another album, it is a bold and solid swansong. This tour is going to be really something, I believe.

Just a fun fact - it's good they've decided to make it a double album. With the (smaller or greater - you decide!) pause between the discs giving you a breather, it's somewhat evened out. If they'd cut anything and tried to fit the songs in the 80 minute limit, it would really have been too much.

Not on every song :(

Which songs do you think suffer from a relatively lacklustre vocal peformance?

I felt like Bruce sounds a lot better throughout, on some songs on TFF he sounded a little strained (Mother of Mercy, The Talisman) whereas I haven't noticed that so far on this record. (Not on first listen anyway.)

Been there since 12 o'clock. Thank you !

Not at all. There are really very good tracks. The Man Of Sorrows is excellent by example.
BUT, longest tracks do not have the taste of a "rime of the ancient mariner". They really seems to jam, the producer capture that and that's all. I see no more explaination for that.
It reminds me Adrian Smith saying that he always thought that maiden album were not enought mixed well... not enough effect, etc... it is the case on that one too. A lot of time, i tought "well, why didn't they put a reverb there, a delay on that"...

And for the progressive evolution, it really is pure bullshitting. For me, they just use always the same recipe : a guitar pattern played on a chromatic scale... and everybody is saying "WOW Iron Maiden is getting progressive". No, for me that's not a progressive evolution.

There are strong melodies, great vocal performances, good drumming... but nothing really original. And when you've readed and listened interviews... it seems the band lied to fans. That's all.

If Maiden didn't retain their recognizable sound, they would stop being Maiden. Part of the fun is hearing that sound and discovering the new things they add to it with each release. If you are saying there is nothing original here, then you mind as well say the same exact thing about every post reunion album. This is the most variety I have ever heard out of a modern Maiden album. Exactly what would you consider new? A thrash album? A Maiden goes rap album?

There are strong melodies, great vocal performances, good drumming... but nothing really original.
Sure! I mean, I have heard some songs with fragments echoing parts from
Montségur, The Legacy and Wasted Years
, but to say nothing is really original... I am 100% sure you won't be able to back that up.
And when you've readed and listened interviews... it seems the band lied to fans. That's all.
The band lied to fans? ==> Click

Why do the guitars sound so separated in some songs? It's like they're playing on a massive field and is each of them is standing in a different corner. Normally you'd hear 2 guitars playing a harmony and it sounds like 1 instrument. Now you have a lead guitar in your left ear , a lead guitar in your right ear, and in the middle a guitar playing rhythm and it sounds empty in between. I'm listening to the title track right now and you can barely hear the strings in the background. They sound tacked on. You'd expect to be surrounded by " the orchestra". The mixing is just very, very bad and I can't believe the band didn't think the same. I'm so far to say that the live version will actually sound more cohesive, which I usually think isn't the case with live Iron Maiden.

"Disturbing" in what way?

Well, they don't sit well in the mix. Then again it might be due to my headphones. I think the low frequencies are not that dominant or something like that. They just sound strange, can't explain it in a better way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back