"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think The Great Unknown could follow the ground Smith has been treading with Starblind and Isle of Avalon. He's been going down that road since Paschendale, the next logical step is to have a more concise song with those proggier musical elements.

I think The Great Unknown could follow the ground Smith has been treading with Starblind and Isle of Avalon. He's been going down that road since Paschendale, the next logical step is to have a more concise song with those proggier musical elements.
I hope not, I dont like Starblind and Isle of Avalon.

Would someone please explain to me how Starblind is progressive?
It follows the typical verse-chorus-verse-chorus-middle instrumental part-verse-chorus pattern. That is not in the least bit progressive.

It follows the typical verse-chorus-verse-chorus-middle instrumental part-verse-chorus pattern. That is not in the least bit progressive.

I'm not well versed in what is/isn't progressive, but from my point of view Starblind is weird because it has a super weird sounding time signature to it, and everything about the song is just...off. There is nothing really straight forward about it.

Its the way the riffs are built, and the drums are following a progressive pattern. Even if the construction of the song is standard

Ya, I guess you have to have a good understanding of time signatures and such. I'm not going to worry too much about it.

12 days to Speed Of Light!

Most of Starblind is in the common time signature 4/4. Adrian Smith has a guitar solo in 7/4 and then the little instrumental bit after Dave's solo is also in 7, everything else is 4/4. However, the main riff has an over the bar line rhythm that makes it sound "off" (as Chasopiant said). Nicko is using a more melodic drum pattern following the main riff so there's no reference to where the beat is for two whole bars at a time.This might not seem like much but compare it to most songs where the beat is clearly outlined on 2 and 4. Here you get it on the 1 of the first bar and the 4 of the second bar. To me this gives it a rhythmic tension, highlighted by the fact that it lasts a long time. Some might consider it repetitive but I like the way it builds, especially with Adrian soloing all over it and Bruce's aggressive delivery. I like how it builds to the "Preacher loses face with Christ" section when we're finally given a straight beat. It feels like a relief after all that tension. And that's just one part of the song. Basically, rhythmic interplay and dynamics found in Starblind are what makes it sound progressive to me.

Oh wait, this isn't the Starblind topic? :D

Thanks for the explanation Mosh, but all of that is WAY too technical for my understanding. I think I'll just keep enjoying it in my own way. :)

Anyway, let the torture and insanity continue! I mean this lovely wait for TBOS that is in no way driving me completely insane. :nana::nuts::S:D

I like how it builds to the "Preacher loses face with Christ" section when we're finally given a straight beat.
That actually makes a lot of sense, because the lines are basically referring to breaking out from the chains of organized religion at that stage, so there to be a "relieving" music factor linked to the lyrics is kinda cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back