"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm counting on the long stretch (5 years...longest ever) between albums to have helped metabolise their ideas. They may have each come in with more ideas/experience this time. I mean an 18 min song, with piano is certainly evidence of this

I'm counting on the long stretch (5 years...longest ever) between albums to have helped metabolise their ideas. They may have each come in with more ideas/experience this time. I mean an 18 min song, with piano is certainly evidence of this

I would be not so sure about this. In my experience, when a band try to complicate things it means that the ideas are not so much. We'll see, but I am pretty sure that if there are some good ideas they came from Bruce and Janick. Steve demonstred us with his single album that he has lost his great ability to write short, powerful and melodic songs, and Adrian totally disappointed me in TFF (excluding ther middle part of Starblind).

Last edited:
Frankly, I do not understand how you could. :D

Boring, repetitive, banal in some occasions and bad produced,

IMO, obviously.:D

Only the title track is repetitive. And the epics, unlike the ones from previous albums, don't make me go, "When will the singing start damn it?"

While AMOLAD wasn't?????

Not at all. An opener in line with the post reunion album: great solo and it is very catching. TFF begin with 5 minutes of no sense and a song so banal that could have been written by a boy band. These colours don't run is a good song, good lyrics, good bridge and a melodic part --> Ed Dorado is one of their worst song ever: no structure, no riff, totally anonymous. Brighter than a thousand suns no need any comment, is probably their best song since 1988. I could go on 'til the end but i think i have made my point.

PS: 4:26 in Mother of Mercy. I never heard such an error in mixing in one of their other album.

PS: 4:26 in Mother of Mercy. I never heard such an error in mixing in one of their other album.[/QUOTE]

Well spotted man. I just listened.
Have you heard the super faint dog bark in "Thin line love & hate"?
around 5:15.

I noticed it years back. I used to walk home at night listening to this and sometimes turned around thinking a dog was
barking at me :)

PS: 4:26 in Mother of Mercy. I never heard such an error in mixing in one of their other album.
Apart from the horrific overdubs (or "copy and paste jobs", as Steve called them) on Rock In Rio's The Clansman.

I just read the review from several pages back. I'm glad the reviewer liked it, but since he listed no issues or flaws of the album, i'm wondering why he gave it a 9/10. I'm assuming he had to feel it was one of the best albums of all time across all musical genres to warrant a 10/10?

When I saw the 9/10 to begin with, I assumed he'd list at least one issue with the album. Maybe I overlooked it.

I just read the review from several pages back. I'm glad the reviewer liked it, but since he listed no issues or flaws of the album, i'm wondering why he gave it a 9/10. I'm assuming he had to feel it was one of the best albums of all time across all musical genres to warrant a 10/10?

When I saw the 9/10 to begin with, I assumed he'd list at least one issue with the album. Maybe I overlooked it.

It's written by Dom Lawson who is a massive Maiden fan and has worked with Maiden before for documentaries etc. Basically, that review is as close to an inside job as you can get, so I'd take it with a general pinch of salt. I'm not saying he is wrong in what he is saying about the album, but he is going to say it's amazing.

That's Just Metal Hammer though, they don't think any album is perfect so they don't give 10/10. In fact the only albums they gave 10/10 in the last 25 years are Metallica's Black Album & Cult of Luna's Salvation. so 9/10 is the best it's going to get

I would like to know if the same reviewer reviewed any other maiden album and if so what score he gave.

Not at all. An opener in line with the post reunion album: great solo and it is very catching. TFF begin with 5 minutes of no sense and a song so banal that could have been written by a boy band. These colours don't run is a good song, good lyrics, good bridge and a melodic part --> Ed Dorado is one of their worst song ever: no structure, no riff, totally anonymous. Brighter than a thousand suns no need any comment, is probably their best song since 1988. I could go on 'til the end but i think i have made my point.

Whatever suits you mate! I am really tired of all this arguing in general. I just found songs like mother of mercy,coming home and Starblind that I really enjoy up to this day.As for AMOLAD I can't stand a single song anymore. By the way did you hear the part where Bruce sing something about the "power of an" and not "man"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back