"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious. Why does a site like amazon or itunes even need different foreign country subsites? I suppose there are warehouses based in the UK that will allow for faster and cheaper shipping to a UK resident compared to ordering from the US, but for digital music, what difference does it make? I would think a person can indicate their country and be charged the respective currency and it will all convert accordingly.

that's true, i forgot about good ole uncle sam taking his cut, or whatever he may be called overseas. I guess it makes it easier to display the local currency price and have the site configured for national and local taxes more easily than on one site trying to take into account all global taxes.

I'm curious. Why does a site like amazon or itunes even need different foreign country subsites? I suppose there are warehouses based in the UK that will allow for faster and cheaper shipping to a UK resident compared to ordering from the US, but for digital music, what difference does it make? I would think a person can indicate their country and be charged the respective currency and it will all convert accordingly.

Taxes, different regulations, different postal systems, I would think it would be a nightmare keeping all that straight in one entity

Hi guys! After plenty of years just reading, I finally made up my mind to create an account and start posting:)

So here is something on my mind, which I didn't see discussed till now: what about the two ninjas on the studio roof from the Christmas card? Can you tie them with any of the song titles, more specifically with The Book Of Souls? Should we expect it (TBOS song) to be about Japan?

And something about me: I'm 38 and I've become a Maiden diehard fan since 1989... and I still feel the same excitement just like 25 years ago when I waited for No Prayer to be out.

Up the Irons! Cheers!

that's true, i forgot about good ole uncle sam taking his cut, or whatever he may be called overseas. I guess it makes it easier to display the local currency price and have the site configured for national and local taxes more easily than on one site trying to take into account all global taxes.

That's the positive way of saying it. Our version of Uncle Sam gets virtually nothing from those sales, because the European headquarters of Amazon are settled down in Luxembourg, where they pay annual taxes amounting to four-digit sums.

what about the two ninjas on the studio roof from the Christmas card? Can you tie them with any of the song titles, more specifically with The Book Of Souls? Should we expect it (TBOS song) to be about Japan?

Unless there's something yet to be revealed, I just read it as an indication of the stealth surrounding the new album.

So here is something on my mind, which I didn't see discussed till now: what about the two ninjas on the studio roof from the Christmas card? Can you tie them with any of the song titles, more specifically with The Book Of Souls? Should we expect it (TBOS song) to be about Japan?

I completely forgot about the ninjas, with all the other things that have happened in recent months :)
Maybe someone here knows more about Yasukuni Shrine and its "Book of souls"?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasukuni_Shrine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversies_surrounding_Yasukuni_Shrine

Last edited:
If it is indeed about the Yasukuni Shrine, I'd expect a song in the opposite direction, an unfavourable one. Maiden has very much been an anti-war band in their approach to lyrics, I doubt they'd write lyrics in favour of a shrine that honors A-class war criminals.

I'm not sure why they would make a song about that shrine .. positive or negative .. why anyone would do a positive one is beyond me.

I tend to think the ninjas were there because a)they look cool and b) they symbolize secrecy (like of the new album contents)

It's also possible that back at Xmas time, they had a different plan for the album. That card also suggested "on tour 2015"... things have changed.

I preordered last night, on amazon.uk and this image appeared in there, too, this morning. It wasn't there last night. Obviously, the book on the image is part of the product package.

I need to pre-order soon. I'm probably going to order the deluxe book edition. It looks so great.

My feelings about the vibe on The Book Of Souls is that the band have made their definitive splash on Progressive Metal waters and it makes me admire than more and more 'cos they didn't fell bait on the 'shorter songs' demands from old morons that think it's still 1985, as if there wasn't long songs with mid/slow tempos parts.

While I generally agree, I think it's important to note that Adrian kept to his word from a few years back, seeing as he co-wrote all of the "short(er)" songs on the album. Everyone else, particularly Bruce, went for the full monty.

Bruce writing 2 songs on his own makes me believe in - apart from the usual incredible lyricism - heavy riffs, maybe real downtuned guitars (perceivable, so to speak) and on Empire Of The Clouds I hope he have, finally, achieved the idea he always had of making a real prog metal epic with nods to Van Der Graaf Generator, Arthur Brown, Tull, King Crimson, Atomic Rooster with real heaviness.

I agree! I'm really curious to see what he's come up with for "Empire of the Clouds."

The cover art is pretty simple, but, the painting is really masterful as it seems like a blend of oil painting style with the one implemented on The X Factor; the full logo back is another thing! Fantastic, plain and simple! The soul felt greater when I saw the artwork with the full logo!

Yeah, I never expected to see the old logo come back for a new album. It's a welcome return, in my opinion!

Some titles are clichéd like Death Or Glory, The Man Of Sorrows, Tears Of A Clown, Speed Of Light (so much that I thought it was fake when it was first revealed by some french journalist), but, it's the content of these tunes that will turn these titles into something remarkable. 2 things that made me worry were Eddie's frontal view as on the first album cover and the release date is on a Friday (last of the weekdays) as for most albums were relased on Monday. Hope it's not a sign.

All in all, I feel a really Heavy and remarkable opus coming. UP THE IRONS!!! \m/

Those titles are a bit cliched, but I'm just hoping that they'll still be quality songs themselves.

Hello all!, haven't posted here since TFF , Maiden fan since 1982 , here are my impressions for whatever their worth:

- I think this will be Maiden's last proper studio album they will probably release live and compilations/b-sides from now on

- The fact that they have never released a double album until now is significant that is what makes me think this is the last studio album , back in the 80's which was Maiden's heyday a double album was a BIG deal I think this was a deliberate move to make a final statement

- I think 'Arry giving over the reigns to Bruce for two songs especially an epic to close a double album shows that ' Arry is going all out

- The "Hardcover " version looks tantalizing and I will probably save my money to get it I guess I'm a sucker..

Up The Irons All!

Hmmmm, this is interesting. And I'm almost sure it's not Attick Demons. What do you think?

I suppose it could be real, but it seems just a bit too hair metal-ish to make me think that it's the real deal. Moreover whoever the singer is, his voice sounds a lot younger than Bruce's. This is coming from someone who generally prefers Bruce's Reunion-era vocals over his voice during his first run with the band.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back