"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking Speed of Light as track 2 and the right length was obvious for the single. I hadn't considered the double-album order as an issue.

I'm also not convinced that "double album" means what it used to in the digital age. At 92 minutes, it's only 12 longer than a one full CD. And with all the deluxe editions, a 2 or 3 CD release isn't special either. So I still go for track 2, Speed of Light, being the single. Disc one before disc two. :bigsmile:

Approximately 90 minutes was a common length for double albums back in the day though. I think the band is serious about treating this as a double album.

I haven't visited the forums since last July. Decided to stop by to see everybody's reaction to the new album. I can't wait for September, anxiously waiting to hear that 18 minute song to close out the new album.

I was thinking Speed of Light as track 2 and the right length was obvious for the single. I hadn't considered the double-album order as an issue.

I'm also not convinced that "double album" means what it used to in the digital age. At 92 minutes, it's only 12 longer than a one full CD. And with all the deluxe editions, a 2 or 3 CD release isn't special either. So I still go for track 2, Speed of Light, being the single. Disc one before disc two. :bigsmile:
I thought about this but Maiden still comes from a time where a double album meant more than what it does now. They probably didn't have this in mind when writing the album, but when tracking it I'm willing to bet much care was taken in choosing a proper opener for disc two.

Also, I think it's important for the band to establish that disc 2 isn't a "bonus" disc or a collection of leftovers. We the hardcore fans know that of course, but with bonus discs being such a common thing lately (Priest had one on their last album and Sabbath had tons of bonus songs for 13) I could see some casual fans mistaking this as a similar thing. Releasing a song from disc 2 as a single would prevent this and instantly destroy any doubt of whether a double album was necessary.

Bruce's cancer + Iron Maiden being bigger than ever + the decrease of actual music purchasing in the mainstream could make this an epic album run.

This picture about the deluxe edition just appeared on Amazon Italy (still not available for preorder, though):
41cbfHMsHfL.jpg

All it takes is discussing a new album to pull me back in...

Saw this news first thing on Friday and I'm super pumped about a new Maiden album! I always cherish the lead up to new records as all the anticipation is a ton of fun.

I love the artwork. Love the Eddie, love the simplicity of it all. Seems very well done. I do find it odd that they went back to the pointy logo though, I though the non-pointy one basically marked the new era of material. But oh well, visually I'm already stoked about the new album.

Having listened to Maiden for over 20+ years I can kind of guess where most of this album will take us. I'm mostly looking forward to the two Dickinson only penned songs as well as the two Dickinson/Smith ones. I think we can all expect some good old fashioned up tempo Maiden stuff from the Dickinson/Smith songs but I have NO IDEA what to expect from the Bruce songs. I can't wait to hear more about what these will end up sounding like. Not that Bruce hasn't sounded great on the newer albums (IMO, he has) but he always sounds the best on his own songs so to have a big chunk of this album with his stamp on it has me super excited.

It's weird - I kind of want September 4 to get here ASAP but then I kind of don't. The whole buildup of a new Maiden record is always a blast with seemingly something new every day. I'll say the announcement this time kind of came out of nowhere which was a great surprise. But to come there will be sound clips, full songs, new band pics (surprised that wasn't included in the press release), packaging updates, new lyrics, new production to discuss, new leads to learn, etc. It's such a fun time. Those of you who have come on board since The Final Frontier - sit back and enjoy the ride - it's going to be a fun one!

I guess it was back in SSOASS when we got the last dickinson/smith collaboration.I kind of wait for 15 years now for these songs :/.However in late years it seems to me as if H writes the best songs outside Maiden....using the tunings and the guitar sounds he vot from Roy Z. I really enjoyed what he did in his latest solo project too.However it seems he filters his ideas to be more suitable for nowadays Maiden.....

I preordered last night, on amazon.uk and this image appeared in there, too, this morning. It wasn't there last night. Obviously, the book on the image is part of the product package.

My feelings about the vibe on The Book Of Souls is that the band have made their definitive splash on Progressive Metal waters and it makes me admire them more and more 'cos they didn't fell bait on the 'shorter songs' demands from old morons that think it's still 1985, as if there wasn't long songs with mid/slow tempos parts.

Bruce writing 2 songs on his own makes me believe in - apart from the usual incredible lyricism - heavy riffs, maybe real downtuned guitars (perceivable, so to speak) and on Empire Of The Clouds I hope he have, finally, achieved the idea he always had of making a real prog metal epic with nods to Van Der Graaf Generator, Arthur Brown, Tull, King Crimson, Atomic Rooster with real heaviness.

The cover art is pretty simple, but, the painting is really masterful as it seems like a blend of oil painting style with the one implemented on The X Factor; the full logo back is another thing! Fantastic, plain and simple! The soul felt greater when I saw the artwork with the full logo!

Some titles are clichéd like Death Or Glory, The Man Of Sorrows, Tears Of A Clown, Speed Of Light (so much that I thought it was fake when it was first revealed by some french journalist), but, it's the content of these tunes that will turn these titles into something remarkable. 2 things that made me worry were Eddie's frontal view as on the first album cover and the release date is on a Friday (last of the weekdays) as for most albums were relased on Monday. Hope it's not a sign.

All in all, I feel a really Heavy and remarkable opus coming. UP THE IRONS!!! \m/

Last edited:
Is there any chance of being a conceptual album? any coincidences between song titles?

It would be great to end with a concpetual album but its also maybe to end with a double album.

But something tell me that its not going to be the last one,and they are going to record another one in less than 3 years.

Maybe they've gone the Blind Guardian route, and by this I mean maybe the album will be symphonic. And hell, maybe we'll get the power metal album I was dreaming of ;p

Up for pre-order on Amazon.com

$17.98 for the deluxe CD, $35.98 for the 3LPS. The "regular" CD is not up yet and not much in the way of details

2CD deluxe hardbound book limited edition

and

Triple LP Heavyweight Black Vinyl Edition

In any case .. I am officially pre-ordered

As crazy as it seems, from amazon.co.uk it's cheaper. I went for the .com, but, I had converted from quid to brasilian real, then compared with dollar to real and it was cheaper, just like it was with 13 and Live... Gathered In Their Masses.

As crazy as it seems, from amazon.co.uk it's cheaper. I went for the .com, but, I had converted from quid to brasilian real, then compared with dollar to real and it was cheaper, just like it was with 13 and Live... Gathered In Their Masses.

Strange, I would think it would be the opposite. But, I have had a few things (mostly what would be imports in the US) come out cheaper ordering from Amazon.de, but would be much more expensive ordering from amazon.fr or amazon.uk. Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back