"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a lot of the new members are maiden fans who don't like the reunion era as much as the forum core does.

I agree with you here. I also think quite a few new members are derisive towards The X Factor whereas the forum core tends to really enjoy it.

Here's a general summary of greek metal hammer's preview :
Much better than TFF . Great , powerful riffs and amazing solos esp. from Adrian Smith .

1)IESF . Mid-Tempo with "hard rock "(though the previewer doesn't mean hard rock with the explanation we usually give to this genre ) references and galloping bass . Great "demonic" vocals at the end. Dickinson in top form .
2)SOL. Well we know the song .

3) TGU . Great Guitar opening at 1.36. Classic Maiden song .with imagination , colour and hunger . Great clean vocals . FOTD-like ending .

4)TRATB . Eastern sounding riff . Reminds of DOD (with its keyboards) and ROTAM . The "ohohoh" at the end is redundant (the reviewer has a ? with it so he really doesn't agree with this statement )

5)WTRR . A maniac-like beginning with the band playing like there's no tomorrow . Songs like this show why Maiden shouldn't retire even after another 920 more live shows . Great lead guitar parts . A feeling of grandness . Why , how can they still play like this ?

6)TBOS . Great epic song . Classic Maiden, great dual and triple solos with a bit of thin lizzy influenece . The "Joke" Janick Gers writes anything but "joke" songs .

7)DOG .Relentless song and a great opening for the second cd . Songs like this were missing from previous post reunion Maiden albums. The progressive elements are better intergraded in this album , in general

8)SOTV . Great song , reminds of SIT . Very detailed work in this song (and in general) . Great lyrics .

9)TOAC . "fucking great" main riff . "Fucking great" song . One of the best in the album . Again great lyrics . The song (that's my opinion from what the journalist is writing) is more about the "culture of being famous" (this is the exact quote from the reviewer) than specifically about Robin Williams .

10)TMOS .The most "ethereal" song of the album with bluse-y solos . Gives the album more variety . Dave Murray doesn't write many songs , considering that he is an original member of the band (along with Harris)

1)EOTC . Piano, violin and retro-futuristic keyboards in the beginning . Very theatrical, it becomes heavier as it unfolds , sounding like a horror movie soundtrack at around the 14th minute mark . Great, melancholical closing . Not easy to be played live but has the potential to inspire feeling , passion and a sense of theatrical presence if they decide to play it live ./SPOILER]

Here's a general summary of greek metal hammer's preview :
Much better than TFF . Great , powerful riffs and amazing solos esp. from Adrian Smith .

1)IESF . Mid-Tempo with "hard rock "(though the previewer doesn't mean hard rock with the explanation we usually give to this genre ) references and galloping bass . Great "demonic" vocals at the end. Dickinson in top form .
2)SOL. Well we know the song .

3) TGU . Great Guitar opening at 1.36. Classic Maiden song .with imagination , colour and hunger . Great clean vocals . FOTD-like ending .

4)TRATB . Eastern sounding riff . Reminds of DOD (with its keyboards) and ROTAM . The "ohohoh" at the end is redundant (the reviewer has a ? with it so he really doesn't agree with this statement )

5)WTRR . A maniac-like beginning with the band playing like there's no tomorrow . Songs like this show why Maiden shouldn't retire even after another 920 more live shows . Great lead guitar parts . A feeling of grandness . Why , how can they still play like this ?

6)TBOS . Great epic song . Classic Maiden, great dual and triple solos with a bit of thin lizzy influenece . The "Joke" Janick Gers writes anything but "joke" songs .

7)DOG .Relentless song and a great opening for the second cd . Songs like this were missing from previous post reunion Maiden albums. The progressive elements are better intergraded in this album , in general

8)SOTV . Great song , reminds of SIT . Very detailed work in this song (and in general) . Great lyrics .

9)TOAC . "fucking great" main riff . "Fucking great" song . One of the best in the album . Again great lyrics . The song (that's my opinion from what the journalist is writing) is more about the "culture of being famous" (this is the exact quote from the reviewer) than specifically about Robin Williams .

10)TMOS .The most "ethereal" song of the album with bluse-y solos . Gives the album more variety . Dave Murray doesn't write many songs , considering that he is an original member of the band (along with Harris)

1)EOTC . Piano, violin and retro-futuristic keyboards in the beginning . Very theatrical, it becomes heavier as it unfolds , sounding like a horror movie soundtrack at around the 14th minute mark . Great, melancholical closing . Not easy to be played live but has the potential to inspire feeling , passion and a sense of theatrical presence if they decide to play it live
and that is something that I wanted to hear. I love TFF, and amazing solos from H are always welcome

Thank you for the translation. Could you please translate what is written about SOL as well? Yes, we've all heard it, but the other review that surfaced earlier has it down as an "instant classic", which leaves me a bit sceptical.

Thank you for the translation. Could you please translate what is written about SOL as well? Yes, we've all heard it, but the other review that surfaced earlier has it down as an "instant classic", which leaves me a bit sceptical.
That it is basically a nice, little song with a very good chorus . He treats it like the worst in the album, but not a bad song overall .

So from what I read - it's almost like return to classic era with post-reunion style here and there. It's like this time they didn't overthink stuff.

Perhaps it was a good decision by Harry to come to the studio only with *ideas* for songs - and to make these songs in the studio. Rock music has to be exciting and lively.

This review is really a good one!

Yes and I believe it the most because he is at least slightly sceptical of the single that has been released and basically echoes my feelings on it, so I am now massively excited. Most excited for the SIT sounding tracks with 'woah' bits and the final track.

11880440_10153653415708203_5188986662833691094_n.jpg

This is just posted by my friend on Facebook, so, i guess he will have niiiiiceee day! :)

I'll take your word for it since you were obviously more active for that thread than I was. :p

But I do stand by my saying that there's way more whining this time.

Edit: of course that doesn't mean this cycle has been devoid of good discussions. I've read some great interesting posts on here both from old members and new members. And that stuff has made it well worth shifting through junk.

There is a lot of good posting too. Most of the whine comes from like a handful of users who has to regurgitate their negativity in every thread they come across. "Wah wah repetition, wah wah slow parts, wah wah..." It seems like a lot, but its the same people over and over again.

"
"The Book of Souls" is IRON MAIDEN's most comprehensive and confident work since "Brave New World"
:facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back