"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the Metal Hammer review it stated a couple of songs on BOS 'possibly stick too close to the post-reunion formula' or words to that effect. I wonder which songs they are?

Maybe Red and Black, Book of Souls and Shadows of the Valley?

Hopefully, this rumor is true, as long as Bruce isn't pushing himself too early. The biggest positive of Maiden coming to North America in the winter is that the summer sheds won't be in use. The sound in arenas is far superior, plus there's way more room for general admission.

Plus it is not hot as hell out

Got my copy of Metal Hammer this morning.
Cool lenticular cover and loads of interviews with the band.
There are some nice graphics and Mayan glyphs which point to what the stage set might look like..

Got my copy of Metal Hammer this morning.
Cool lenticular cover and loads of interviews with the band.
There are some nice graphics and Mayan glyphs which point to what the stage set might look like..

It's nice, isn't it? I could only find one copy of it in the shop. I'll have to wait until after work to read it all.

It's nice, isn't it? I could only find one copy of it in the shop. I'll have to wait until after work to read it all.

Yeah it's cool.
There is a lot of information to take in though but that's a good thing.
Also, how many times can Eddie have his heart ripped out..?

I remember they were making a lot of cruel comments around the VXI era back in 1998. The interviewer was like " ten years ago I was at donnington watching you and you were the biggest band in the world and now you are releasing this!!!" But I guess he was not being mean on purpose it was his disappointment that Maiden had regressed so much

Maybe in Greek Metal Hammer... in the UK Metal Hammer Dom Lawson reviewed VXI, gave it 8/10 and said it was their best album since 7th Son!

Maybe in Greek Metal Hammer... in the UK Metal Hammer Dom Lawson reviewed VXI, gave it 8/10 and said it was their best album since 7th Son!

What was that story about Steve Harris and Kerrang....I think it was a bad review in Kerrang of the X-Factor that made Steve Harris go to the Kerrang headquarters and threaten the journalist. Right? Or was it all made up?

If true..no wonder they've been so nice to Maiden every since :p

Yep, remember that one. It also got an 8 out of 10 by the Greek Metal Hammer.

What was that story about Steve Harris and Kerrang....I think it was a bad review in Kerrang of the X-Factor that made Steve Harris go to the Kerrang headquarters and threaten the journalist. Right? Or was it all made up?

If true..no wonder they've been so nice to Maiden every since :p
Was Virus written about that maybe? I do seem to recall that it had something to do with journalists...

"Steve is as decent a bloke as you could meet, but even so, there is only so much piss-taking a man can tolerate. Steve's patience snapped one day in the summer of 1995, when he saw a copy of Kerrang! In which Chris Watts, a former K! critic, branded Iron Maiden's 'The X Factor' album a comedy record. Steve showed up at the Kerrang! Office looking for Watts. He was fuming and full of the nervous edginess of a man about to punch someone's lights out. Watts was not be found and Steve eventually cooled off after a pint in Kerrang!'s local. Looking back at the incident, Steve is relieved that it didn't come to blows.

Steve: When I came in I was really wound up. I'd just spent a year of my life working silly hours doing this album - which I still love and I don't give a fuck what anyone says - and some wanker has completely dismissed it in one sentence. I felt like he was having a joke at our expense. Another time I might have laughed at it, but I thought it was out of order. I wanted to see if he'd say it to my face. He could have been built like a brick shithouse and beat me to a pulp, but I had to have a word, it just ain't right. You know me, that ain't my style. I felt bad afterwards. I thought, fuck, I'm glad he wasn't there, cos I probably would have fucking whacked him, or at least got him against a wall or done something stupid, and that gets you nowhere. I'm not a violent person but I was wound up. I'd been through a divorce as well. I was going through hell anyway.

Kerrang!: A bad review won't stop diehard fans buying a new Iron Maiden album.

Steve: Yeah, but I've got to be honest - it still annoys you. Constructive criticism's okay, it's just when it gets personal. You feel like giving them a slap but you can't.
"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back