"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The review was all about comparisons, wasn't it?
Hope that is a literary device, not an indication of a lack or originality.

I wouldn't look too far into the comparisons to be honest. I remember a lot of foreign reviews steeped in making back catalogue parallels between songs on The Final Frontier and its predecessors, which quite frankly often bore little resemblance save a few rhythms and portions of guitar licks.
I think this quote should belie any fears of auto-plagerism

"...a different reading of everything that characterizes the music of Iron Maiden, who turns out spontaneous and refreshing here, in short, the art of making something new out of the old times"

Yeah there's a lot more to the review than just the comparisons. He just mentions past songs that overall matches the same atmosphere, feel or ideas...

15gxfes.jpg

I think TFF was the band's first #1 in the USA. I remember hearing about that the week after the album dropped, but I could very well be wrong about that.

It wasn't number one, I think it was number 3, but it was their highest charting ever.

AMOLAD was the first one to break the top 10 in the states as well, at number 6 I think. Before that you have to go all the way back to SIT for their previous highest charting and I think that was only number 18!

Basically, Maiden are benefiting from the fact their sales are not decline to the same extent as the rest of the music industry.

I reckon we've a good chance for a number one which will be the icing on the cake for Maiden.

Really hope it isn't just one track. Waste of a CD. And pricey too. I wouldn't be interested in the t-shirt.
A cool cover or 2 would be fine

It's a shame there isn't some dedicated artwork for Speed of Light, I really liked the retro comic-book style artworks for El Dorado, The Final Frontier and Coming Home.

It's one track. It's not really a single, rather an incitement to buy the album at Best Buy. Don't think of it as a single, it's more of a coupon with a song attached. It makes zero sense to release actual singles these days - just throw it on the homepage or youtube and be done.

Lots of interesting news in over night. Especially about Adrian's thoughts on the production on the new album. Anyone who watched the interviews that came with The Final Frontier could tell he was not happy with how that record sounded. I'm quite sure this one will sound leagues better.

Judging from what I've read, sounds like they spent their artwork budget on the internal design. With Mayan historian and all that

So awesome to hear Adrian's thoughts on production. Not surprised that he would like things a little less "live" sounding. Our lord is a perfectionist lord.

I haven't read any reviews up to this point and all the information I have about the album comes from interviews with band members. And I think I made the right decision to steer clear of reviews - the new this, the new that... :facepalm:

Edit: What's so bad about efficiency and uphill ways? :p

Totally agreed and I'm doing the same thing: only reading interviews. I don't want to know how they sound like old songs, I just want to hear the new ones.

Reminiscent of new frontier, mariner, losfer words??! 3 of my all time favorite songs!!??? This is making me want to tickle Steve Harris big time !!!:innocent:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back