"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the entire TFF album i found only one solo that i kept going back to and it is the first solo by Adrian in the final track WTWWB

I love Janick but man what was that in Talisman?
What he did on the Talisman was amazing. He took a nine minute song, which by Maiden standards would have two/three blazing solos on it, and played something completely different and unique that fit the song wonderfully. I wouldn't even call it a solo. It's a chance to catch our breath, before going back into that massive riff, and Bruce's relentless wailing. It fits musically and lyrically, perfectly.

Last edited:
The concept must have flown over my head. I was gearing up for three blazing solos and i got....... that. But its a great song to me regardless

Talisman talk made me go watch a bit of En Vivo! and I really hope they'll play at least one song from each of the reunion albums on the next tour. Youngest song I heard is still FOTD :(

Honestly, if it [Empire of the Clouds] really is a Maiden Musical/Metal Opera, I feel like the band's going to end up playing it live on the tour. It's the ultimate culmination of what Steve set out to do with Iron Maiden in their live shows when he had a small paper machete Eddie head spewing blood behind the drums in the late 70's/early 80's.

Does that mean Bruce is at home right now practicing on his piano? Because, I really want to see his Revelations (Live After Death) face. You know, the scrunched up full of concentration while trying to play guitar face. If we get that this tour, but while he's sitting at a piano, well that would make me happy. Wait.. How are they going to fit the Grand Piano on Ed Force One? Also, it better be white. You think Bruce's hair will be long enough for corn rows by tour? Just curious.

Does that mean Bruce is at home right now practicing on his piano? Because, I really want to see his Revelations (Live After Death) face. You know, the scrunched up full of concentration while trying to play guitar face. If we get that this tour, but while he's sitting at a piano, well that would make me happy. Wait.. How are they going to fit the Grand Piano on Ed Force One? Also, it better be white. You think Bruce's hair will be long enough for corn rows by tour? Just curious.
Leaked lyrics for Empire Of The Clouds:
Do you need some time... in empire of the clouds
Do you need some time... in empire of the clouds
Everybody needs some time... on empire of the clouds
Don't you know you need some time... on empire of the clouds

How many of you think the 30 sec clip was from the single? It sounds very Janick/Harris composition to me. At the begining from the guitar tone of the solo i thought it was Adrian but then the ending notes is very Janick. Now I am begining to think it may not be Speed of light but another song

Talisman talk made me go watch a bit of En Vivo! and I really hope they'll play at least one song from each of the reunion albums on the next tour. Youngest song I heard is still FOTD :(

It'll never happen, but I'd love for the band to not play FotD for at least one tour. If they can hold off on playing Hallowed for three years in a row, surely they can do the same for FotD too, right? That said, I do agree with your main point; I really want to get at least one song off of the previous reunion albums in the new set. Hell, if they can squeeze in one Blaze song in the set, that would be great. I think Book of Souls will be represented well enough live, if the other new album tours are anything to go by.

I've been thinking about that. I will say though that Bruce recently talked about the possibility of replacing the Ed Force One with a new Airlander ship named the Ed Zeppelin. They could probably load up a grand piano on one of those, if Bruce was comfortable playing it himself on the live shows.

If not, they could always bring back the guy who plays the synths live for Seventh Son of a Seventh Son and have him handle the piano parts or have the piano bits piped in instead.

How many of you think the 30 sec clip was from the single? It sounds very Janick/Harris composition to me. At the begining from the guitar tone of the solo i thought it was Adrian but then the ending notes is very Janick. Now I am begining to think it may not be Speed of light but another song

I think it's Speed of Light. The ending notes kinda remind me of Can I Play With Madness.

I was with you for the whole first half of that post. Like 100% with you. Was yelling "Preach it brother."
But then you had to go and bring up Jan.. Now let me tell you something, that man can solo! You said resent, so I say take another look at his solo in the Alchemist.
Exactly, and look at this tidbit from Caveman's diary about it: It's the last day in the studio today. Janick came in and redid the solo on The Alchemist. He was much happier than before - the first solo had been much more "in the meter", but this one crossed the rhythms, and he liked the fact that it sounded like he wasn't going to make it, and then did. He felt it sounded more "incendiary!". His phrase.

If not, they could always bring back the guy who plays the synths live for Seventh Son of a Seventh Son and have him handle the piano parts or have the piano bits piped in instead.
That's Michael Kenney, Steve's bass technician, he's always on the road with the band anyway, so that wouldn't be a problem, yeah. I guess it would depend on whether or not there is much singing going on during the piano parts, or if the piano is throughout the song or not.

There is a difference between a live feel and a live sound. They play live but afterward the sound is processed. Also. The solos are recorded after, check Kevin Shirley's diary of AMOLAD, you will see that the guitarists go back yo the studio to record the solos
"Normally we rehearse a few weeks before and we have the songs ready or at least most of them and then we go in and we play 'em live and we're already pretty solid with them. This time we went in and we had the basic idea of the songs and we kind of learned them in the studio and rehearsed them in the studio once or twice then had a go at it"
Quoted from the interview... so basically they spent little or no time thinking out the songs. The same thing happened with TFF as well...they recorded the album in two weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back