The Beckett Connection

Well Keith, I can only recommend you to listen to certain Maiden songs like: Sign Of The Cross, Fortunes Of War, Look For The Truth, The Edge Of Darkness, The Educated Fool, The Nomad (needless to say! Ahahahahahahahah... :p This is, strangely enough, the only of the mentioned songs that doesn't starts slow. Steve really mirrored the slow/orchestrated part just like in Life's Shadow), No More Lies, Age Of Innocence, The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg and For The Greater Good Of God all starts with slow intros that build up into something heavy and generally they are the outro, too; all these songs bears a melancholy in the moody parts and the lyrics also deals with concerns about life, death, illusion, individuality, pretty much like in Life's Shadow.

I can tell you Keith, had I listened to the Beckett back in the days, I'd say that my faves would be Rainclouds, Life's Shadow/New Dawn Chorus and Green Grass Green. Life's Shadow has a mesmerizing touch to it.

Thank you Jeff; I will devote time to exploring the tracks you suggest.

Can anyone explain to me why the Metal audiences are so dedicated and enthusiasatic; and have been for thirty years and three generations.  There is no other music form that inspires this degree of devotion.

A simple question: what's the point on making this here and on the Youtube ? why not going straight to justice ?

DonnieDarko said:
The whole thing though, I have to admit, still seems to me, as Habberdasher said, like something that should be taken up with the band, management, lawyers, etc.,

I can imagine that -besides putting the record straight- the artist wants to interest Maiden fans to check out that old stuff to compare.

DonnieDarko said:
. rather than in a forum like this.

It's a Maiden fans forum, and we've seen some more controversial topics in the past.

source

Rotam said:
A simple question: what's the point on making this here and on the Youtube ? why not going straight to justice ?

Initially, it was the several questions and comments on the Youtube sites that got me started.  Once I realised that no one knew exactly what was going on, and that many I.M. fans were genuinely interested in Beckett (as a result of Rainbow’s Gold), I decided to instigate some serious online searches.  Several posts from this forum appeared during my searches and I decided to set the record straight.  As to litigation, I have nothing to gain, so why would I bother; Bob Barton, however, is in a different position, and apparently, he is considering his options as we speak.  I know there are a lot of deeply suspicious members of this website, although I can’t imagine what you think I have to gain from this dialogue; nonetheless, I will assure you that my intentions are strictly honourable.  I do enjoy the conversations however; and a family illness has me somewhat housebound at present, so I am pleased you have indulged me.

Sorry for resurrecting this topic, but do we know if Bob Barton litigated and what was the outcome of this?

Thanks a lot fisherenterprises for all the information you have shared with us.

I thought this was an appropriate place to continue this saga:

Seven years ago the Beckett drummer opened this topic, and now this came in the news:
http://metaltalk.net/news_seventeen/hallowed_be_thy_claim.php
Iron Maiden founder and leader Steve Harris and original and current Maiden member Dave Murray are to enter a High Court battle over allegedly stolen lyrics and music to 'Hallowed Be Thy Name' and 'The Nomad'. Court documents were made public within the last few hours that confirm this.

A legal process is currently in motion which will lead to a trial date being set which is likely to be sometime in 2018.

I believe Brian Quinn and absolutely sympathise with him on this matter, and I hope he will get the recognition and compensation he deserves. He does not seem to be in it for the money, but for justice.

Having said that, I would advise anyone planning to champion his cause to consider that the core of the dispute is between Brian Quinn and Bob Barton; Quinn accuses Barton of lying to Steve and cheat Quinn out of his share of the glory. The Maiden camp freely admits that Steve and Barton had an agreement; Steve thus was ready to oblige to his dues. He was allegedly misled by Barton to believe that he had, and it appears that Barton is the person at fault here.

I would say The Nomad is more damning than Hallowed, since it is an entire section of music that (as far as I remember) was lifted note-for-note.

I believe Brian Quinn and absolutely sympathise with him on this matter, and I hope he will get the recognition and compensation he deserves. He does not seem to be in it for the money, but for justice.

Having said that, I would advise anyone planning to champion his cause to consider that the core of the dispute is between Brian Quinn and Bob Barton; Quinn accuses Barton of lying to Steve and cheat Quinn out of his share of the glory. The Maiden camp freely admits that Steve and Barton had an agreement; Steve thus was ready to oblige to his dues. He was allegedly misled by Barton to believe that he had, and it appears that Barton is the person at fault here.

Interesting. Considering the timeline or the settlement with Barton, I guess that is why they did not play Hallowed be Thy Name on the Maiden England tour. Funnily enough, Steve said in an interview with the FC that they did not play it because Bruce did not want to sing so many songs with high vocal melodies (or words to that effect). Yet he still denies Live After Death having any overdubs... :lol:

I mean the lie about Hallowed not being on ME made perfect sense at the time, considering how much Bruce struggled with it at various gigs in 2011. Unlike the Live After Death no overdubs line, nobody really had any reason to doubt it. It's pretty damn clever in that sense.

I mean the lie about Hallowed not being on ME made perfect sense at the time, considering how much Bruce struggled with it at various gigs in 2011. Unlike the Live After Death no overdubs line, nobody really had any reason to doubt it. It's pretty damn clever in that sense.

Sure, Bruce did struggle with Hallowed Be Thy Name on te European leg of the 2011 tour, but to use him as an excuse is somewhat despicable. On a related note, the (not many) overdubs part of Live After Death are pretty clear to me, especially when comparing vocals from the video and the LP.

Sure, Bruce did struggle with Hallowed Be Thy Name on te European leg of the 2011 tour, but to use him as an excuse is somewhat despicable. On a related note, the (not many) overdubs part of Live After Death are pretty clear to me, especially when comparing vocals from the video and the LP.
Yeah the overdubs are very clear when you compare the two versions. Plus Adrian's backing vocals stick out badly because they're straight from the vocal booth and have no ambient noise at all. My point was that the overdubs line was always dubious because of these little "details" and people picked up on it pretty quickly.

Meanwhile I don't anyone suggested that Hallowed was left off the set in 2012 for any other reason than the stated one.

So true. Seems time for Bobby and ..the other guy, honestly I don't care enough about them to look back and get the names right, to divvy up what's been payed by Steve.
Steve is almost becoming a victim of double jeopardy here, if you will. He's admitted the song has bits of the other bands song. He's Paid up. Let's move on.
As for the guy not being in it for the money: sorry for sounding synical , but the whole "living in a trailer, only doing it to make my grandson proud, and the lyrics inspired by grieving his late father..? A little over the top. ...

I doubt them leaving Hallowed off the set has anything to do with this, and the timing is a coincidence.

What would leaving it off the set achieve? They've already played it probably over a thousand times, and it's on various albums and was released as a single, it's too late to try and hide the fact that there's lyrics in it.

Plus they're re-releasing LPs with Hallowed on it in a few weeks!

Also, Bruce has complained about hallowed being played too fast live many times, in terms of trying to sing the words, so I would take it at face value that that is the reason they dropped it those two times.

A funny point can be drawn about how steve puts too many words to a vocal melody from this case though, the words are two verses of the beckett song but only two lines of hallowed!

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt them leaving Hallowed off the set has anything to do with this, and the timing is a coincidence.

What would leaving it off the set achieve? They've already played it probably over a thousand times, and it's on various albums and was released as a single, it's too late to try and hide the fact that there's lyrics in it.

Plus they're re-releasing LPs with Hallowed on it in a few weeks!

As this is going to High Court and there would be a need to estimate the amount of money that the band might have made from the song, the band not playing it on the tour would automatically mean this money to be less than if it had been played on a really successful final leg. They might have been instructed not to play the song for that particular reason. I could obviously be wrong though.

On a related note, we spent some time trying to decipher the blurred text on Bruce's setlist during rehearsals over at the Maiden FC. There is one song between Book of Souls and Fear of the Dark and it seems the final letters on the title are ED, suggesting that Hallowed Be Thy Name was rehearsed.

18033406_1869528849984059_7892842366877874160_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back