Swine Flu

Anyone ben personally affected by this yet? One of the guys I manage at work is off with confirmed Swine flu, and someone who works with my wife has also been diagnosed with the same thing.

I am currently in Mexico City, the "epicenter" so to speak of said pandemic and NO ONE I know, their families or friends even had a fever. While in Guadalajara with my brother (a city in Jalisco seven hours from M.C.) he said that now instead of saying "bless you" when you sneeze they say "Influenza!" haha, love Mexican humor. Anywho, my father says it is the only "epidemic" to have started and ended by presidential decree.

While Obama was in Mexico not a word about the illness, as soon as he left alarms were raised and restaurants and business were closed. The holiest day here in Mexico (besides dec. 12th) is Mother's Day. That weekend... only two weeks after anounces a "pandemic"... the government announced the worst was over and that restaurants and business could reopen. Odd coincidence lol.

In London things look worse now. Warnings on TV, pregnant women staying indoors, etc.

My country might get into that situation in September or around that time.

Apparently in Sweden mass (free) vaccination will take place in late September. Sucks that I'll be back in the States by then.

Nothing in the news here. Well, there was one piece about some guard in Buckingham Palace getting it... but nothing about vaccinations, deaths or the like. The disease has ceased to exist here... or so it seems.

Where I work there's a medicated handwash dispenser before every door to each building, and on every floor.They were installed today.

That should be general hygiene. Sad that something like this had to happen for such basic precautions to be implemented.

In my experience it is not treated as a *big deal* in Ontario, Canada.  Some 20 or so students at my school board were taken to hospital over the period of several months, the number of infected individuals collected, the students returned and proclaimed to be free of the virus.  No one panicked.  No one made a big fuss.

In Norway, there's a lot of talking about this, but still no dramatic effects on everyday life. Currently much attention is given to the football tournament Norway Cup, where more than 30 000 youngsters (aged 10-19 years) participate. So many kids together in a limited area for more than a week is of course going to be a good opportunity for the virus to spread. One team withdrew from the tournament after 4 players were diagnosed with the flu.

However, I still think there's too much hysteria in media related to this pandemic. So far it has not shown to be significantly deadlier than the normal seasonal flu, the main difference is that it spreads faster and is likely to infect more people than usual. But I'm not going to walk around fearing for my life the whole autumn ...

Eddies Wingman said:
However, I still think there's too much hysteria in media related to this pandemic. So far it has not shown to be significantly deadlier than the normal seasonal flu, the main difference is that it spreads faster and is likely to infect more people than usual. But I'm not going to walk around fearing for my life the whole autumn ...

Couldn't have put it better.

The hysteria is spreading faster than the virus now. Norway's biggest grocery store chain demands that all customers must wear disposable rubber gloves when handling fruit and vegetables.

I find it laughable. It has already been said it is not particularly deadlier than good ol' fashion flu and the treatment is the same (plenty of rest and water), so all this hoopla is hilarious.

Well, I caught a pretty bad cold, and I have no idea how I did that in mid-August. Should I panic now?

Of course not. A shot of tequila in the morning, hot sauce on breakfast, lunch and dinner and you'll be fine by Sunday.

Onhell said:
Of course not. A shot of tequila in the morning, hot sauce on breakfast, lunch and dinner and you'll be fine by Sunday.

Better make that two shots, just to be safe.  ;)
Eddies Wingman said:
The hysteria is spreading faster than the virus now. Norway's biggest grocery store chain demands that all customers must wear disposable rubber gloves when handling fruit and vegetables.

Are you grocery shopping elsewhere as a result? 

Perun said:
Well, I caught a pretty bad cold, and I have no idea how I did that in mid-August. Should I panic now?

Summer colds suck, but are hardly uncommon. I usually get one every year (and one in the winter). In fact, I've got mine right now (but it's almost over, methinks one more blah day).

My "cold" months seem to be in April and October.  That also happens to be when the weather changes most drastically.

I think we had like 3 death cases from swine flu over here.
Then again, the hospitals claim they had a trillion other reasons to die that very moment, so I really have no idea if it's the Cause of death.

Back