Swine Flu

Perun said:
This 'discussion' (I'd rather call it a polemic) has been giving me toothache for the past two days:

As Germany prepares for a mass-immunization against the swine flu, there are growing concerns about the existence of two different shots - one for a selected few and one for the rest of the population.

Sometimes, I really hope a major swine flu epidemic will hit Germany and shut all those jerks up because nothing will happen.

:eek:

You're kidding?!  Paranoia on more than one level.

Zare said:
Quoting myself from first page of this thread;

So, what happened?  :innocent:

Most people will argue that the regular "flu season" has not started yet. But I guarantee you we will make the same post in a few months. ;)

Well, its running around my neck of the woods.  I wouldn't say 'rampant', but there are enough cases.  However, most people aren't horribly bad off.  Some have really bad symptoms, but survived with no problem.  Some have been given some other 'flu' to combat the H1N1. 

I don't know if it's been posted before, but here it comes (attention is a kind of sad seeing this)

Possible consequences of vaccination -->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mScGC7nFDxM

Since today the virus has become epidemic in the Netherlands. Strange (and worrying?) thing is that a 14 year old kid has died, and she was completely healthy before she caught the virus.

More info in this link.

I must say I'm not really worried.
I mean, sure, it's a terrible thing that people die because of it.
However, I just don't see how this is worse than most of the other things threatening mankind.

Quetzalcoatlus said:
I don't know if it's been posted before, but here it comes (attention is a kind of sad seeing this)

Possible consequences of vaccination -->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mScGC7nFDxM

While I'm not calling the reporters or anyone in that video out, I'd like to learn more about this before my judgement is conclusive.  The neurological problem certainly sounds weird.

Forostar said:
Since today the virus has become epidemic in the Netherlands. Strange (and worrying?) thing is that a 14 year old kid has died, and she was completely healthy before she caught the virus.

More info in this link.

That is the concern in people, that a health person can die.  Your typical flu kills more people per year, but it does so in the young and infirm.

Oh, I forgot there's a discussion for it.
Well I have it now. I feel like crap to put it lightly, but I don't think I'm going to die anytime soon.
But if I somehow die anyway, I invite you to my funeral
Iron Maiden and beers on me :p

Quetzalcoatlus said:

I thought I heard about a similar case in the UK, where the flu shot triggered temporary paralysis from the waist down (lasted a few weeks) and then the same disorder as that woman after the paralysis went away.

Still, one in a million. No reason to avoid the shot. Yeah, you might get screwed ... you might also get hit by a truck and killed on your way to work tomorrow. Worth the risk.

Nah, going to work isn't worth getting hit by a truck.

I think we have already had it go around at my work, the swine flu.  I didn't get tested, but one of the guys came in and his kid was tested and positive.  Then the employee was out for 3 days, and the other guy he worked with was out for a few days, then myself and one other guy were sick with something...

Long waiting lines in Canada for H1N1 shots.

Wait times for flu shots continued to be hours long yesterday as Hamiltonians lined up for the only protection from H1N1 that public health can offer. Waits were about five hours at the clinic on the West Mountain, with 1,000 people in line. The Dundas clinic wasn't much better, with 700 waiting for a shot.

More here.

Hundreds of people who lined up in Toronto today were given slips of paper with a time on it so they could return for their vaccination without standing around for hours on end.

More here.

Hi everyone

I noticed no one has replied to my last post.  I'm morbidly curious about how other nations are handling this H1N1 situation now that (presumably) the virus is spreading.

I never bothered to check other provinces and how they're doing.  50 more clinics have been opened  in Ontario and retired doctors and nurses have been called to administed the shots.  I guess there was not enough research done to find out how many people actually needed/wanted the shots.

Well, my kids (all three) were given the opportunity to have the shot (or whatever form the vaccine takes) at school.  I haven't, personally, looked into it, but it sounded like it wouldn't be too difficult to get my hands on it.  Now, I live in a pretty sparsely populated area, so maybe in the more 'metro' areas it is more difficult.

It's just that people are so afraid they are demanding it now.  Now now now now now now now!  If people were willing to wait it wouldn't be so bad.  I'm waiting.

I don't know if some people can afford to wait.  My mother-in-law is a public health nurse, so she is pretty exposed.  Her husband has diabetes, so he is in a major risk group.  Today we got a call that they're both sick.  I won't say at this point what it is, but I'm hoping for the best. 

I'm back to work tomorrow, braving the kids and the(ir) germs.  :D

Wasted CLV said:
Well, my kids (all three) were given the opportunity to have the shot

Mine not. In fact, the Dutch government is still not sure if children belong to the major risk group.
Some doctors (and most other countries) have a different opinion. Plus: The World Health Organization stimulates governments to treat children as a major risk group.

Probably more news next week.

In the meantime, check out this short video (Dutch language - English subtitles):

Dutch parents are divided over whether to vaccinate children under the age of five against pandemic influenza A(H1N1), known in the Netherlands Mexican flu. Parents are concerned because toddlers run a high risk of being infected by other kids at kindergartens and crèches.

The Health Council of the Netherlands, an independent scientific advisory body tasked with advising the government and parliament on public health issues, will issue its advice on vaccinating the under fives next week. Health Minister Ab Klink requested the advice and says there is more than enough time to vaccinate toddlers.

However, if a vaccination notification does fall through the letterbox, the mothers that we spoke to in Hilversum are not sure if they will vaccinate their kids against pandemic influenza. They want to know if the new vaccine has any side effects and many want to know more about the vaccine and the disease and say an information evening would be a good idea.

Back