Sun and Steel

How good is Sun and Steel on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'Sun And Steel' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'sun And Steel'

I gave it 3 stars. Good, but I think it's the weakest song on the album.

I once wrote a song with the lyric "heart is like a wheel". I later figured out that I was influenced by "life is like a wheel" from this song. So it may only be a 3-star song, but it has nonetheless infected my subconscious mind.

Edit: I was wrong. I forgot about "Flight Of Icarus". That's the weakest song on PoM. I only forgot it because I usually skip it when I play the album.

'sun And Steel'

Great track, but nothing special. For some reason I just loooove the chorus and can't help humming along to it. It really helps my mood if I'm feeling a bit down

*sunlight, falling on your steeeeel* - so corny, gotta love it [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'sun And Steel'

One of the weaker tracks on the album, but blessed with a great chorus and very interesting lyrics (as long as you are into this kind of stuff, anyway).

'sun And Steel'

The melodic chorus is great and uplifting, which is the best part about it. But besides that, there's nothing special about the song besides it's a short rocker/catchy tune. The lyrics arent too great either, but the song is pretty good for what it is. It's still one of the weaker songs on the album though. Rating: 3.5/5

'sun And Steel'

Well, I can only agree with $yk0_H here. The happy singalong chorus is really good to raise your mood. I'll give it 4 stars

'sun And Steel'

I actually like this song, admittedly it has more cheese than an edam factory but it does have one hell of a catchy chorus

'sun And Steel'

Despite being one of the less ingenious songs on PoM, "Sun and Steel" still has a memorable chorus and a bit of a story behind it -- the warrior theme. It's a worthy theme for a Maiden song. The bass sounds good in the song, as does the "life is like a wheel" concept.

'sun And Steel'

Recently, I got into films by Akira Kurosawa.
Until now, I have seen only three of his films.
"Seven Samurai", "Throne of Blood" and "The Shadow Warrior".

I am interested to see these non-Kurosawa films, since I read they are the best films ever about
Miyamoto Musashi.:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047444/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048579/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049710/

Apparently Steve Harris never was much into Samurai, since he said the song is "about a Japanese guy who builds himself up to a peak of fitness and wants to kill himself hara-kiri style."

I have to be careful now to come up with some nonsense theories (since today I accused someone else of a nonsense theory on the Powerslave-cover), but:

1- Steve doesn't understand Bruce's lyrics (at least the lyrics in "Sun and Steel").
Are the lyrics indeed about a man who wants to kill himself?

and/or:

2- Bruce doesn't understand the history of Miyamoto Musashi.
Miyamoto Musashi did not want to kill himself hara-kiri style

and/or:

3- Bruce thought it was fun to change the lifetale of Miyamoto Musashi a bit
That is: if Bruce made it clear that the person in the lyrics of Sun and Steel wanted to kill himself.

I'll just go for the safest option: nr 1! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]
I cannot read from the lyrics that the character wants to kill himself. Bruce did not make that up, Steve did.

edit:
My post could be seen as a comment on Steve's comment on Bruce's lyrics (which could be seen as comments) on Miyamoto Musashi which can be found in the commentary section of the Iron Maiden Commentary. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

Re: 'sun And Steel'

Ok, so lets take another look at this song. I think the band makes the song. It seems hastily written (can you say Air Supply hehehe) but brilliantly executed. The problem here in my opinion, is that the song does not go into enough detail. It seems to be a very very vague storyline of a very very interesting subject. Something, again in my opinion, that is very uncharasteristic of Iron Maiden.
  Expanded, less chorus, more subject.......... and this would have been one of thier greatest songs ever.
  I believe in real life, the first man he killed at 13, was weilding duel sticks. If I remember the story correctly anyway.  It rocks, as Iron Maiden always does, but I for one, would have liked a longer storyline to the great music!

JDPelfrey

Daily Song: Sun and Steel

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Sun and Steel

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

I like this song. It's an interesting little rocker, but it's also nothing particularly special. Perhaps it benefits from being after QFF. Anyway, I give it a 6/10.

Re: Daily Song: Sun and Steel

10. This could've been a staple live as Trooper and it'd have worked better live than Run To The Hills. The song is a non stopping pound of Metal with once again (I don't get tired of repeating it) an amazing emotive instrumental section and Bruce's performance here is one of my faves! The chorus is one of Maiden's best. 10!!!

A great rocking song after a somewhat-disappointing QFF. The best Maiden riff IMO.

6/10.

The best Maiden riff only gets it a 6?

It's a good song, probably underrated as it's on the less good second side of the album. Nice gallop the song probably suffers from "happy syndrome" where it sounds too nice for the subject matter. But nevertheless it gets a 7 from me (truthfully a 6.5).

Jonszat said:
The best Maiden riff only gets it a 6?

It's a good song, probably underrated as it's on the less good second side of the album. Nice gallop the song probably suffers from "happy syndrome" where it sounds too nice for the subject matter. But nevertheless it gets a 7 from me (truthfully a 6.5).

The song is (obviously) not as good as the riff.

I misvoted, giving a 7 instead of 6.  It's got an annoyingly happy chorus, nothing really memorable, and it's probably the worst song on the album.

Nice little riff. Not one of their best though. After listening to the trooper this riff gets a bit boring with the identical gallop. Solo is meh. lyrics are decent. Second worst song on the album.

5/10

I like the song, but on Piece of Mind it just feels so ordinary. 6/10. Least interesting solo on the album.

Invader and The Wingman dare to speak the truth. This song is worse than Quest For Fire, and any other performance on POM. The vocal lines are not that good, lack melody. A relatively pale song in between the melodic greatness of Quest for Fire and the epic awesomeness of To Tame a Land.

Back