Stratovarius

As much as I try, I just cannot get into Stratovarius. I would like them more if they took the symphonic element out of their sound. Just too much keyboards and all that. Another popular band they share a fanbase with is Hammerfall. Of the two I prefer Hammerfall because they have more of a speed influenced power metal like Helloween, and Stratovarius is symphonic in nature. Sometimes it actually seems odd that these bands are considered the leaders of the same genres.

I quite like Stratovarius - great melodic power metal and the keyboards fit perfectly in their sound.

Underrated band. Highlight albums: Visions (1997), Destiny (1998), Infinite (2000).

I really enjoy Fourth Dimension. Honestly anything before Elements pt. I and II and after Tolki left.

I think they've had two streaks of great albums: First, from 1995's Fourth Dimension until 2003's Elements albums, and then the ongoing streak of Elysium (2011), Nemesis (2013) and Eternal (2015). The albums with Tolkki on vocals also are really good apart from the debut. Polaris (2009) was decent but forgettable and the 2005's self titled album is basically their St. Anger. The next album will come out in 2021 and it'll probably be great too.

I think they've had two streaks of great albums: First, from 1995's Fourth Dimension until 2003's Elements albums, and then the ongoing streak of Elysium (2011), Nemesis (2013) and Eternal (2015). The albums with Tolkki on vocals also are really good apart from the debut. Polaris (2009) was decent but forgettable and the 2005's self titled album is basically their St. Anger. The next album will come out in 2021 and it'll probably be great too.

It's like you live inside my head lol.

For those who have the two editions of Stratovarius's "Visions of Europe" (the original 1998 one and the remastered 2016 one), can you tell what differences there are, apart from the sleeve cover?

Stratovarius was my first band. I really, really liked them from the first time I heard them (it was actually 21 years ago!), Timo Tolkki was like a God for me. Well, they all were. I met Jari Kainulainen after an Evergrey gig, that was the best encounter with a musician that I have ever had.

I still really love the band, I’m so glad they continued after Tolkki. Nemesis and Eternal is really good, and I’m still looking very forward for their next release whenever it comes out, and I really have to see them live one day before its too late. Just thinking about it gives me shivers!

Some news from the Stratovarius camp.

There's a new album coming out on september 23rd called 'Survive', containing these 11 tracks :

01. Survive
02. Demand
03. Broken
04. Firefly
05. We Are Not Alone
06. Frozen In Time
07. World On Fire
08. Glory Days
09. Breakaway
10. Before The Fall
11. Voice Of Thunder

There's also a new video which will be streamed on tomorrow 10 a.m. on the EarMusic YouTube channel.

stratovariussurvive.jpg

Looking forward to it! The album cover is scarily relevant.

The first single is the title track (with its own cover):

I dig it. It has a modern vibe, it's heavy, melodic and with a good chorus. Great melodic riff and a nice solo.

This video is very cheap... Poor visual effects and the takes are not realistic at all... I would have thought that the band had a lot of money to make some better quality video... :rolleyes:
Yeah, something about it looks a bit off. Nevertheless, I'm happy we got a music video instead of another lyric video. The song itself is good, although not anything new for them lyrically or musically.

Back