Stratovarius

I really like some of their earlier stuff with Tolkki, Episode and Visions in particular. I saw them live back in 1998 on the Visions tour and they were impressive!

Their more recent material has not really captured my attention.
I like the post-Tolkki era a lot myself but the band itself has changed quite a lot since the classic days - only Kotipelto and Johansson remain from that era.

Another new single from the album, which is coming next week by the way. This one is a bit slower and Timo gets to show off his pipes towards the end of the song.

Another new single from the album, which is coming next week by the way. This one is a bit slower and Timo gets to show off his pipes towards the end of the song.

What an impressive song. The intro, the drumming, the classic heavy riff, the verses, the pre-chorus and especially the chorus are awesome. Great solo too, but the melodies during the instrumental section are the real highlight (perfect ending to the song). I will listen to the album later today.

A pleasant surprise. The album is full of catchy songs (We Are Not Alone among others) with great riffs/melodies (Demand, World On Fire, Glory Days), solos and choruses. The title track really fits this album. Timo's vocals are on form. Great production of the album too.

Best songs: Frozen In Time and Voice Of Thunder (amazing epic)
My favorite songs: all of the singles, Voice Of Thunder and Glory Days (classic vibe in this song)

Other songs worth mentioning are Breakaway (good ballad) and Before The Fall.

What do you think of the album, @KidInTheDark666 and @TheMercenary ? One of the albums of the year for me.

A pleasant surprise. The album is full of catchy songs (We Are Not Alone among others) with great riffs/melodies (Demand, World On Fire, Glory Days), solos and choruses. The title track really fits this album. Timo's vocals are on form. Great production of the album too.

My favorite songs: all of the singles, Voice Of Thunder and Glory Days (classic vibe in this song)

What do you think of the album, @KidInTheDark666 and @TheMercenary ? One of the albums of the year for me.
I'm listening to it right now. I think that a huge work has been made on rhythm section, especially by Rolf Pilve. His double-bass drumming is very modern and technically more complicated than on the previous albums. Timo's voice is really awesome and more mastered than in the past. Jens is always equal to himself with a still very airy game. Matias surpassed master Tolkki with his massive riffs and crazy solos. The sound is powerful. 'Survive' is certainly the best Stratovarius' album since 'Polaris', even since 'Infinite'. And, of course, it will be in my Top 5 albums of this year. :)

I'll do a complete review in the next weeks for my webzine. ;)

Yeah, the album is great for sure. There's no obvious filler material. The musicianship is amazing as always and Timo sounds unbelievable for a man in his 50s. The production is fantastic as well, it has a very modern sound to it. We Are Not Alone is my favorite song on the album and possibly my favorite song of the year. My other favorites are Frozen in Time, World on Fire, Glory Days, and Voice of Thunder.

I don't think it's as good as Eternal but it's fighting for a top 2 or top 3 spot in the post-Tolkki album ranking. Probably also my favorite album of 2022.

'Survive' is certainly the best Stratovarius' album since 'Polaris', even since 'Infinite'.
I don't think it's as good as Eternal but it's fighting for a top 2 or top 3 spot in the post-Tolkki album ranking.
I think it's their best album (as a whole piece) since Infinite. I also like that they released every single with a cover.

Btw, which is your favorite album of the band? Mine is Episode.

I feel like I'm missing something here, to be honest - the album was enjoyable enough but very little of it has stuck with me.

My favourite album is probably Nemesis but that may be due to not having listened extensively to much of their discography.

I feel like I'm missing something here, to be honest - the album was enjoyable enough but very little of it has stuck with me.

My favourite album is probably Nemesis but that may be due to not having listened extensively to much of their discography.
There's always a lot hype when a classic band releases a new album these days. I think the songs on Survive are pretty memorable, but the album is still only my 3rd fav from the post-Tolkki era.

Mine is Infinite. :) I love the cover artwork by Derek Riggs and the whole record is awesome. <3

This is my top 5 :

1) Infinite
2) Elements Part 1
3) Visions
4) Destiny
5) Episode / Survive
Good to see Elements pt. 1 up there. Both parts are pretty underrated if you ask me. Many of their best songs are on those two but unfortunately also some clunkers, imo.

Good to see Elements pt. 1 up there. Both parts are pretty underrated if you ask me. Many of their best songs are on those two but unfortunately also some clunkers, imo.
On the Elements Part 1 and Part 2, my favorite songs are "Eagleheart", "Soul Of A Vagabond", "Find Your Own Voice", "Learning To Fly", "Stratofortress", "Elements", "I Walk To My Own Song", "I'm Still Alive", "Awaken The Giant", "Know The Difference", "Dreamweaver" and "Liberty". :)

Back