Stratovarius

I wouldn't listen to it even if Barlow guested. Everything he recorded after he left sounds like Stratovarius or Avantasia, to the point of ripoffs.
That's logical. Honestly, Tolkki was Stratovarious. You can't demand from someone who had to leave the band that he makes different music.
Epica doesn't sound that different from old After Forever either and Mark Jansen -who was fired from After Forever and started Epica not long after that- heard the same accusation. His writing style is quite recognizable so it's not weird that it comes back in the next band.

It doesn't just sound like them; it's basically ripping off songs from Stratovarius and Avantasia. I heard his Symfonia album and almost every song has a part that's ripped off from another band, like Helloween, Stratovarius, Avantasia, Rainbow etc.

If you thought Gamma Ray ripped off stuff, Symfonia did it 100x more.

You know, I was listening to the new album Nemesis. And it made me realize how stereotypically power metal this band is. I know the 2 Keepers albums by Helloween are considered the most influential and the original PM albums, but it's also incredibly different from most other power metal, other then early Edguy. Bands like Stratovarious have such a symphonic sound, incorporating fantasy lyrics and themes. Whereas Helloween have never had those elements in their bands. I think it's more fair to call Helloween (old and new) a Speed Metal band. Their last few albums are Speed Metal in the vein of Painkiller by JP IMO. and Stratovarius is more of a symphonic/fantasy Power Metal band. Maybe I'm just getting too specific ;p Just an observation I'v been wondering about lately.

Anyways, I'm new to Stratovarius. So far I have only heard Nemesis. I'm not a HUGE fan of it, so far at least. But how is it compared to their other albums, because I know their main songwriter left awhile back.

I can't get enough of Stratovarius! The Alpha And Omega is one of my favorites. And the high notes he hits in Papillon are INSANE!!! More people on here need to check this amazing band out. This thread should be at least as popular as Sabaton.

Last edited:
http://www.ear-music.net/en/news/details/stratovarius-the-new-album-eternal-out-august-14th/

Yay! Last 3 albums were all awesome and Stratovarius is one of rare veteran power metal bands that still releases awesome stuff... (I'm looking at you, Blind Guardian/HammerFall/Helloween/Gamma Ray :down:)

BS, Helloween is the best power metal band out there right now. Part of that has to do with the fact that it's not typical power metal. Heard their new album? It's awesome. It's like 80s pop metal mixed with Straight out of Hell. It's essentially MoTR + SOoH.

And would anyone agree that Hammerfall is very much a traditional metal band, not just power metal? Traditional metal like Maiden and Priest.

Well that doesn't bode well for power metal as a genre. :p

Helloween are the originators of the genre. All those other bands mentioned are incredibly influenced by them. And unlike other popular PM bands like Hammerfall or Stratovarius, Helloween are still original. They innovate their sound and don't just stick to the typical tropes of the genre. Plus they don't have dumb fantasy based lyrics. Helloween are the best!!!!

NotePad, this forum does not like Helloween very much. I do, their best albums totally put anything else German/power metal to shreds.
But the last 4 or so albums are not that great. Nor are Blind Guardian's "recent" albums. Everything after Nightfall in Middle Earth is worse than anything they've done in the nineties. Much worse.

By the way, I thought I heard autotune in this Stratovarius song. And/or annoying strangled duck sounding voice in the couplets.

Last edited:
I kinda lost track on (memory on the overall quality of) these albums to be honest. I certainly like some songs from the albums you find OK or one of the best.

New Stratovarius album is pretty good. They changed things a bit again, glad they aren't repeating themselves anymore.

I should thank this thread for letting me know they have a new album. I loved Nemesis so hopefully this one is as good.

So after a very long time I have finally come across and shook hands with Dreamspace. And boy, is it one weird album. I mean, after three listens I think it's quite good after all, but the first listen was a shock. Some of the songs are downright creepy (4th Reich). It will definitely require more listens.

Back