Still Life

How good is Still Life on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Still Life

7. Good song. I just don't find it all that memorable. Solid throughout but to me not great.

7/10
It somewhat fell out of favour for me over the years.  It just doesn't grab me like it used to.

9/10 The third best PoM song after Revelations and The Trooper. Lovely introduction and the chorus is catchy as well. Cool solos and lyrics too. I'm just repeating what most people have said. Unfortunately the album is never this good again.

Everybody’s favourite underdog, you can hardly call this track underrated anymore. It’s a just a great moody, atmospheric song and everything you need to know about why Dave Murray is an indispensable part of Maiden. A very solid eight.

This was one of my favorite Maiden songs for years.  I loved the feel of the song, when I started to listen to it, I had the feeling of someone that was 'mental', maybe schizophrenic, but felt that he was completely sane.  Its sane to talk to people in pools and to jump in to join them.  Almost a glimpse of why someone may want to kill himself-- We look on the outside as someone ending their life, but in that warped world, he was just trying to join the friends he thought he had there.

Love it.  Now, it isn't as powerful as it once was, but it deserves a 9 for sure.

This song has Dave Murray stamped all over it, and I believe it is one of his best songs (if not the best). 9/10 due to the atmosphere of the song,  the instrumental section and the somewhat eerie but great lyrics.

9/10. A very good song, one of Piece of Mind's best. Every so often, Dave Murray comes up with a real gem and this is one of them. It's just a pity he comes up with the odd song that's just not up to scratch - but it doesn't happen often mind.

8. Very interesting guitar work that ties the song together, Bruce sings in a different manner, more storyteling like (El Dorado wasn't the first where he sings on a low register than soars througout the song). All that said, it's my least fave on the album, but still it's great.

10/10. I'll jump into the pool.

7/10, decent song, but I've never liked it that much. The theme is a bit unappealing to me. There are better songs on PoM.

10. Contender for my favorite Maiden song, with fantastic lyrics, melodies, one of my all time favorite endings by any band, and intro.

Underrated as hell. The intro is so nice. (not the reversed thing of course  :lol:) One of the Dave's highly melodical works. 9/10

What can I say about this one? Deep, gripping, involving, haunting, chilling... and, I hardly ever use this word (or it's ugly brother), underrated. In the sense that more attention should be directed to this song... in the sense that it should be played live once again (yes, I said it! This is almost a setlist complaint! Rejoice!). 10/10.

9 out of 10... This one has always been a highlight of the album for me. The cool spooky storyline conjures up a great mind movie, and Bruce's delivery is perfectly matched to each part of the tune. I think the whole band simply smokes on this cut, with a special nod to Dave and Adrian...

Dave Murray is really the guitar intro man in Maiden. Again a stunning beginning like almost all his co-written contributions. A fine mid-tempo song. I prefer the couplets (cool harmonic lines woven into those rhythm guitars) more than the chorus which I dislike a little bit. This is one of those songs where I find the studio version better than what I've heard live.

Speaking of studio and live, there's an awkward moment I'll try to point out:
@ 3:08 in the studio version (at least it's 3:08 in this clip) Nicko misses a snare drum (there's a hi-hat only).

In the (most famous) live version on Maiden England he misses the same snare drum again, @ 2:53 (again only a hi-hat)!

I noticed it because I always felt it didn't sound natural, so I cannot imagine that the snare drum was left out on purpose (like it was intended).

I'll give a high 8, just under 8,5, so an 8 it's going to be.

For nostalgic reasons, my favorite song on the album. I love the classical esque guitar break and the lyrics are haunting. 10/10

Back