Steve Harris

Funny, I heard U2 in Lightning, and not just because of the vocals. It reminds me of the Unforgettable Fire era.

there's one of the tracks as well where there's a quiet breakdown with one of the guitars having a very The Edge style delay effect.

A very pleasant album, much better than the previous one. I dont really like Last Chance and Native Son but the rest is really well crafted.

I like this album, however I'm not so happy with how the bass was handled. I like the previous one because I could hear the bass all the time :D

Steve and the boys rocked it at Ace Café in Orlando. I'll be seeing them again in Ft Lauderdale in February. The band actually met with fans, took pictures, signed stuff and chatted. Don't get "that" Steve on Maiden gigs lol... every attendee got a signed poster by everyone and t shirts were $25.... Only about 200 people made the show but damn it was great! Steve in a club setting. No barrier at the stage. Steve gave high fives from the stage between songs....

I'm not enjoying the new album as much as the first, with the exception of a couple of the songs I'd already heard. No criticism of the style etc, I simply haven't gelled with most of the new material, although I get the impression that they've relaxed a lot more and are now playing the music they really want to play. We'll see, I'm only a couple of listens in, and initially I was only lukewarm about the first album.

They're not as shy of solos as they were on the first album, I think. Maybe more content that they're not going to be excessively compared and contrasted with Maiden.

I've been enjoying 'The Burning' over the last week. I'm not sure if any of the songs have stuck with me as much as a couple from the previous album did but it makes pleasant listening nonetheless. The production of 'The Burning' seems to be an improvement on the previous album though. It sounds less like it was recorded in an empty beer can so I wonder if Steve has finally taken on board criticism of his production style. The singer remains a weak link as he simply doesn't have a powerful enough voice to bring the songs up to the next level. He's a good enough singer but there's nothing impressive about him.

One additional thought I've had about 'Land of the Perfect People':

This is the land of the perfect people
You don't belong around here

An ode to Brexit?

Steve and the boys rocked it at Ace Café in Orlando. I'll be seeing them again in Ft Lauderdale in February. The band actually met with fans, took pictures, signed stuff and chatted. Don't get "that" Steve on Maiden gigs lol... every attendee got a signed poster by everyone and t shirts were $25.... Only about 200 people made the show but damn it was great! Steve in a club setting. No barrier at the stage. Steve gave high fives from the stage between songs....
That sounds very cool! I was just about to ask if there’d be anything like this at these shows.

I've been enjoying 'The Burning' over the last week. I'm not sure if any of the songs have stuck with me as much as a couple from the previous album did but it makes pleasant listening nonetheless. The production of 'The Burning' seems to be an improvement on the previous album though. It sounds less like it was recorded in an empty beer can so I wonder if Steve has finally taken on board criticism of his production style. The singer remains a weak link as he simply doesn't have a powerful enough voice to bring the songs up to the next level. He's a good enough singer but there's nothing impressive about him.

An ode to Brexit?
A song about Yorkshire?

An ode to Brexit?

HA HA, I had the same (unjustified) thought! There's a few more lines that fit towards the end of the song as well.

"It sounds less like it was recorded in an empty beer can so I wonder if Steve has finally taken on board criticism of his production style." - I think that maybe it's a case that Newton is a decent engineer. Arguably to me it sounds at least as good as anything that Steve played on since SSOASS

The first album was done in bits and pieces, with as many as 3-4 different drummers (can't remember what the booklet said), and probably over several years. No surprise it turned out the way it did, production wise. Even then, I feel it's fantastic.

Contrary to most, I think the singer (& writing) is the main attraction with this band.

Sure, Steve's a great bass player and the guitars and drums are decent but it's Richard Taylor who carries the songs. He outsings pretty much everyone in the midrange! Verses of Bible Black... Delivery - phrasing & tone? Brilliant.

Back