Starblind

How good is Starblind on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Ranko said:
Just curious, which would be number one? Stalingrad?

Of course.

The Mid-Distance Runner said:
Although Paschendale may dwarf D-Day in terms of casualties and loss of lives I do very much believe The Longest Day is a haunting and emotional song focusing not on the size of the battle but on the tragic and hopeless experience of those on the beaches of Normandy as they witnessed their mates die around them. The music captures this sense of hopelessness perfectly, as do the lyrics. A tragically cool track.

In *size* Normandy is the largest battle ever fought. But you're right, it's about the song. I will relisten to it with this thought in mind sometime today, but I think we will continue to disagree.

The Longest Day is one of the few anti climax songs Maiden has written. Paschendale is perfect. All fits like a glove.

I have just listened to PFD and TLFD back to back. PFD is certainly an epic and intricate composition with perfect lyrics. TLFD, whilst not as complex a song, is jammed full of minor chords that add to the imagery. As a fan of prog (isis, sleepmakeswaves) I would love to get a hold of the master tapes of The Longest Day and remove the vocals...as an instrumental it would potentially reduce me to tears. Both songs deliver..imo.

My only real gripe with Starblind is that I feel they use that verse riff way too much throughout the song. They don't even change riffs for the pre-chorus ("Starblind, with sun...") part! But the rest of the song is brilliant; that riff at about 5:00 in (with all the reverb) is so cool, and sounds really spacey.

Since we all know Adrian isn't the biggest fan of improvisation, I'm assuming that he actually took the time to write out each and every note for all his background solo parts throughout the song. Impressive.

The more I think about it, the more I think the opening verses are describing the lack of limitations of human potential, rather than any sort of veiled description.

This song would be number one on my favourite Maiden song list. Its ridiculously deep, I love the complexity, and the lyrics/riffs synergize in a way that is friggin amazing. Also Bruce's passion when he delivers this song is incredible.

That said, heres my take on the lyrics. There are some metaphors that I don't think I comprehend 100%, but to me the song makes a TON of sense.

A few starting thoughts:

1) The entire universe is conscious, the entire universe is god. There are greater entities than humanity in the universe, but there are no singular 'Gods' so to speak. We are not able to understand the full beauty and complexity of this, as mere mortal humans
2) 'God' and religion in the song = organized religion, or a particular human conception of God, and more importantly, the organized religion behind it.
3) The song is told by someone who has seen much, understands existence deeply, and is at the end of life.

Take my eyes, the things I've seen
In this world coming to an end.
My reflection fades, I'm weary
Of these earthly bones and skin.

-- this is fairly self explanatory. The 'teller' is approaching death and wishes to pass on some of his realizations about existence. Critical I suppose is the slightly metaphorical 'take my eyes' which is basically just 'hear my words' or 'take my insight'. Interesting is 'my reflection fades' since light = life seems to be a powerful metaphor. Reflections require light. Also a reflection requires a physical 'body' to reflect. Brilliant stuff.

You may pass through me and
Leave no trace, I have
No mortal face.
Solar winds are whispering,
You may hear me call.

-- The teller here is making a shift from the physical 'I' to the eternal 'I' (remember, the universe is god, we are all god, the universe is infinite). I took 'you may pass through me and leave no trace, I have no mortal face' to me is almost analogous to making a generic statement about human life--- Once dead your physical life has become inconsequential. 'I', the eternal 'I' meaning the totality of life in the universe, the entire 'I', has no mortal face, is not equivalent to any religion's visualization or conception of 'God'.  'Solar winds are whispering you may hear me call' is the beckoning of the state of existence after we die...

We can shed our skins and swim
Into the darkened void beyond.
We will dance among the world
That orbit stars that aren't our sun.

-- this is a continuation of the description of the state of the universe itself being conscious and the equating of death with returning to be as one with the universe.

All the oxygen that trapped us in
A carbon spider's web.

-- Physical existence traps us into not seeing the infinite.

Solar winds are whispering, you
May hear the sirens of the dead.

-- we all return to the stuff that made us, the matter that comprises the universe. Solar winds are quite literally bits of matter, we are composed of bits of matter, the sirens of the dead are those that have died before, and the constant pull towards death that all life experiences. Return to the universe.

Let the elders to their parley
Meant to satisfy our lust.

-- First mention of the structures of power in human society. Elders = political leaders, religious leaders, 'the powerful'. Parley refers to speech, or more generally just games of power the powerful play to stay in power-- satisfy our lust refers to the ways that they stay in power-- by appealing to basic human needs (i.e. like corporate execs depend on revenue generated by advertising, or politicians rely on false promises, or religious leaders rely on promises of heaven)

Leaving Damacles still hanging
Over all their promised trust.

--Damacles, the sword of damacles (look it up) refers to a certain fate for those in power, it hangs over their head because they abuse their power. Their promised trust is the trust that we invest in them. And their promises (especially relevant in this song is the promise of organized religion, i.e. heaven).

Walk away from freedoms offered
By the jailors in their cage.

-- The jailors (the powerful, the elders mentioned previously) offer freedoms (the freedom to BUY, the freedom to worship 'God' and get 'heaven' and keep them in power). The jailors are caged however and can't offer real freedom-- being preoccupied with petty physical things and the illusion of powers. The 'speaker' here is advising to walk away from it...

Step into the light, startripping
Over mortals in their rage.

-- this line thus makes a lot of sense now, step into the realization that life is more than the petty power games and empty promises offered by the powerful.

Starblind with sun, the Stars are one.
We are the light that brings
The end of night.

-- blind with sun, (the only 'light' we see on earth in the day), blind due to the things that happen in society, blind to seeing the universe for what it is. We are quite literally made of the universe, we are alive, we are light itself, but we are blind to this fact.

We are with the Goddess
Of the sun tonight.

--- not sure. Anyone else?

The preacher loses faith with Christ,
Religion's cruel device is gone.

-- self explanatory-- the loss of faith removes the power apparatus of religion that blinds people to deeper truths.

Empty flesh and hollow bones
Make pacts of love but die alone.

-- religion is a thing of society. Since it blinds us to deeper truths, any pact made with religion ('pacts of love') is shallow, empty. And we die alone, we don't die with the riches promised to us by religion.

The crucible of pain will forge the
Blanks of sin, begin again.

-- I think this is a misreading--- 'blanks of sin begin again' doesnt seem to make any sense.  That said, 'the crucible of pain' is a physical existence IMO.

You are free to choose a life to live
Or one that's left to lose.

--- Step outside the confines of what religion/society dictates and seek truth on your own terms. Live or be a sheep.

--- post more later.

Um, sure....

In reading your post Per, I was very interested in getting the (your) many perceptions of a God.
1. What you believe on an everyday basis.
2. What you believe others want you to believe.
3. The ever-changing mosaic of belief in an increasingly more drunk state (I would guess that post took about 75 minutes).

It's just funny to me how prevalent religion becomes in an intoxicated mind. To me that proves that there is a higher being and he/she/it lives within our mind.

I have the lyrics pinned to my wall.

Bruce should have been a poet as well as all the other stuff he can't fail at.

caragen said:
This song would be number one on my favourite Maiden song list. Its ridiculously deep, I love the complexity, and the lyrics/riffs synergize in a way that is friggin amazing. Also Bruce's passion when he delivers this song is incredible.

That said, heres my take on the lyrics. There are some metaphors that I don't think I comprehend 100%, but to me the song makes a TON of sense.

A few starting thoughts:

1) The entire universe is conscious, the entire universe is god. There are greater entities than humanity in the universe, but there are no singular 'Gods' so to speak. We are not able to understand the full beauty and complexity of this, as mere mortal humans
2) 'God' and religion in the song = organized religion, or a particular human conception of God, and more importantly, the organized religion behind it.
3) The song is told by someone who has seen much, understands existence deeply, and is at the end of life.

Take my eyes, the things I've seen
In this world coming to an end.
My reflection fades, I'm weary
Of these earthly bones and skin.

-- this is fairly self explanatory. The 'teller' is approaching death and wishes to pass on some of his realizations about existence. Critical I suppose is the slightly metaphorical 'take my eyes' which is basically just 'hear my words' or 'take my insight'. Interesting is 'my reflection fades' since light = life seems to be a powerful metaphor. Reflections require light. Also a reflection requires a physical 'body' to reflect. Brilliant stuff.

You may pass through me and
Leave no trace, I have
No mortal face.
Solar winds are whispering,
You may hear me call.

-- The teller here is making a shift from the physical 'I' to the eternal 'I' (remember, the universe is god, we are all god, the universe is infinite). I took 'you may pass through me and leave no trace, I have no mortal face' to me is almost analogous to making a generic statement about human life--- Once dead your physical life has become inconsequential. 'I', the eternal 'I' meaning the totality of life in the universe, the entire 'I', has no mortal face, is not equivalent to any religion's visualization or conception of 'God'.  'Solar winds are whispering you may hear me call' is the beckoning of the state of existence after we die...

We can shed our skins and swim
Into the darkened void beyond.
We will dance among the world
That orbit stars that aren't our sun.

-- this is a continuation of the description of the state of the universe itself being conscious and the equating of death with returning to be as one with the universe.

All the oxygen that trapped us in
A carbon spider's web.

-- Physical existence traps us into not seeing the infinite.

Solar winds are whispering, you
May hear the sirens of the dead.

-- we all return to the stuff that made us, the matter that comprises the universe. Solar winds are quite literally bits of matter, we are composed of bits of matter, the sirens of the dead are those that have died before, and the constant pull towards death that all life experiences. Return to the universe.

Let the elders to their parley
Meant to satisfy our lust.

-- First mention of the structures of power in human society. Elders = political leaders, religious leaders, 'the powerful'. Parley refers to speech, or more generally just games of power the powerful play to stay in power-- satisfy our lust refers to the ways that they stay in power-- by appealing to basic human needs (i.e. like corporate execs depend on revenue generated by advertising, or politicians rely on false promises, or religious leaders rely on promises of heaven)

Leaving Damacles still hanging
Over all their promised trust.

--Damacles, the sword of damacles (look it up) refers to a certain fate for those in power, it hangs over their head because they abuse their power. Their promised trust is the trust that we invest in them. And their promises (especially relevant in this song is the promise of organized religion, i.e. heaven).

Walk away from freedoms offered
By the jailors in their cage.

-- The jailors (the powerful, the elders mentioned previously) offer freedoms (the freedom to BUY, the freedom to worship 'God' and get 'heaven' and keep them in power). The jailors are caged however and can't offer real freedom-- being preoccupied with petty physical things and the illusion of powers. The 'speaker' here is advising to walk away from it...

Step into the light, startripping
Over mortals in their rage.

-- this line thus makes a lot of sense now, step into the realization that life is more than the petty power games and empty promises offered by the powerful.

Starblind with sun, the Stars are one.
We are the light that brings
The end of night.

-- blind with sun, (the only 'light' we see on earth in the day), blind due to the things that happen in society, blind to seeing the universe for what it is. We are quite literally made of the universe, we are alive, we are light itself, but we are blind to this fact.

We are with the Goddess
Of the sun tonight.

--- not sure. Anyone else?

The preacher loses faith with Christ,
Religion's cruel device is gone.

-- self explanatory-- the loss of faith removes the power apparatus of religion that blinds people to deeper truths.

Empty flesh and hollow bones
Make pacts of love but die alone.

-- religion is a thing of society. Since it blinds us to deeper truths, any pact made with religion ('pacts of love') is shallow, empty. And we die alone, we don't die with the riches promised to us by religion.

-- I think this is a misreading--- 'blanks of sin begin again' doesnt seem to make any sense.  That said, 'the crucible of pain' is a physical existence IMO.

You are free to choose a life to live
Or one that's left to lose.

--- Step outside the confines of what religion/society dictates and seek truth on your own terms. Live or be a sheep.

--- post more later.

To continue...

Virgins in the teeth of God are meat and drink to feed the damned

-- those who place blind faith in religion (the innocent), are used by religion, often as examples for people of 'how to live' -- i.e. meat and drink for the damned. Interesting also that it parallels the catholic 'body and blood' of christ as a sacrament. *grins*  

You may pass through me and I will feel the life that you live less

-- pass through life following a religion blindly is a life not lived.

Step into my light startripping, we will rage against the night
Walk away from comfort offered by your citizens of death

-- step into an awareness of life without the chains of a single doctrine of thought. Exalt in life (i.e. life = light, awareness... rage against the night).  By this point 'Walk away from comfort offered by your citizens of death' should be a pretty obvious line. =)

Chorus....

Take my eyes for what I've seen
I will give my sight to you
You are free to choose whatever
Life to live or life to lose

--- the speaker gives the listener a choice... listen to him and seize life, or follow blindly, neglect to take his sight, his advice, and lose the possibility of real life, real living.

Whatever God, you know
He knows you, better than you believe
In your once and future grave
You'll fall endlessly deceived

-- I love this bit. This verse nails the song together for me...  'Whatever God you know' -- whatever religion you follow, whatever human concept of God you put your blind faith in, 'He knows you, better than you believe' -- religion knows your weakness, knows your blind faith, and will manipulate you, chain your will and freedom of mind... This is almost like an allusion to Dostoevsky's 'the brothers karamazov', the Grand Inquisitor, who talks about how man needs illusions, and how one who can 'appease a man's conscience can take his freedom from him'.... anyways,  'In your once and future grave' (again, we go from death, to life, to death, to life... the universe is us, we are god, and we are mortal, we all live an infinite number of times) 'you will fall endlessly deceived' -- you will be deceived as long as you put your mind and faith in an empty god, the structure, the religion, the social order, the priests of a religion will benefit from your faith, but you will simply fall, deceived, with no reward after death.

Look into our face reflected in the moon glow in your eyes

-- look, we are all the same, see the spark of life in your eyes. The infinite nature of your consciousness...

Remember you can choose to look but not to see and waste your hours

-- you can listen and disregard this and waste your life. Also, you can choose to look (as in the previous line) at the nature of your consciousness, but not to see it, and waste your life.

You believe you have the time but I tell you your time is short
See your past and future all the same and it cannot be bought

-- same old...

the rest has been covered.

Comments?

Like to add a comment about this interpretation if I may?

To me this can be interpreted in a few different ways. A crucible is something used to create - so I guess the crucible of pain is referring to birth and the pain associated with that. Forging the blanks of sin is interesting - here forging presumably just means creating - the blanks of sin can be interpreted as human life - as life begins we are blanks - new beings waiting to develop our personality etc. The of sin bit may well refer to the Christian idea that humans are born already sinful as it were, because we carry the guilt of the sins of Adam, the first man. This is the so-called concept of original sin I believe. I'm forwarding this as a POSSIBLE interpretation. Another possible interpretation is a simpler one - that "blanks of sin" simply means when we are born the slate is blank/clean - we can not or have not sin/sinned at that point - this interpretation fits with the general theme of the song and the line about being free to choose our path.

Overall a very deep song - are these Bruce's best ever lyrics?!

caragen said:

-- I think this is a misreading--- 'blanks of sin begin again' doesnt seem to make any sense.  That said, 'the crucible of pain' is a physical existence IMO.

I've come back around to the lyrics about "We can shed our skins and swim.." etc. I think they're more about the ability of us, humanity, to control our destiny through the advancement of knowledge and technological progress - progress that has in the past lead to convictions of heresy (see Copernicus, Nicolaus and Galilei, Galileo for examples)

Not that it matters in this context, but Copernicus was never convicted. I guess thanks to delaying the publication of his book.

Shortly after Final Frontier was released, I mentioned that this was now my favorite song.  Now that i've some distance from the album, my opinion is a bit different.  To put it short, this is probably the best song i've ever heard, ever, by any band, ever.  And it is the absolute pinnacle of Maiden's evolution as writers.  If this song replaced HBTN on tour, i'd not shed a single tear, and that's saying a lot.

It's my favourite song of the album.
It gets a place in my favourite 5 songs from this line-up (in chronological order):

Ghost of the Navigator
Brave New World
Dance of Death
Paschendale
Starblind

(LOL, as you can see this is not only a chronological order :) )

Back