Speed of Light - Official Music Video Thread

I was immediately reminded of that artwork. I almost felt that the artwork was designed knowing the subject matter/setting of speed of light's music video. It was a sort of "teaser" that I only realized in hindsight.

there's a similar artwork at the end around 4:55 (on the machine Eddie is kicking)

:facepalm:

And H said he is really happy with the sound?! Don't get me wrong I really like the song. But if you put Speed of Light on the same playlist with any Bruce solo albums or even some Martin Birch albums.....it sounds like a mess.

I don't mean the structure but the sound quality.

Well, at least the vocals aren't nearly as dry here so that's a pretty decent difference in the right direction.

Honestly, it kind of sounds like there's a great production underneath, but someone has pillows over the speakers or something.

To be fair, if they are going for 'live' then this is pretty much what they sound like live minus the buried drums.

:facepalm:

And H said he is really happy with the sound?! Don't get me wrong I really like the song. But if you put Speed of Light on the same playlist with any Bruce solo albums or even some Martin Birch albums.....it sounds like a mess.

I don't mean the structure but the sound quality.

You know for years now I always thought Kevin Shirley is kinda crappy. I don't have any knowledge about mastering or producing an album but my gut feeling always said 'this guy kinda sucks' to me. I'm starting to believe it more now. He just can't mix albums well I think. It's always a bit messy.

Reactions: Gk1
You know for years now I always thought Kevin Shirley is kinda crappy. I don't have any knowledge about mastering or producing an album but my gut feeling always said 'this guy kinda sucks' to me. I'm starting to believe it more now. He just can't mix albums well I think. It's always a bit messy.

Well, some of the other albums he did over the period he is working with Maiden, sound quite amazing. Did you check any of the Bonamassa releases?

Anyone else totally expect a scream to end the song as well? The way it kind of stops at around the 4:30 mark and the jam for like 30 seconds (which, honestly could have been trimmed as it adds nothing whatsoever) and then Bruce comes back in. First few times I heard that section I was expecting a scream ala Run to the Hills or something to pair with the opening one. Maybe it's just me but that would have sounded bad-ass.

Anyone else totally expect a scream to end the song as well? The way it kind of stops at around the 4:30 mark and the jam for like 30 seconds (which, honestly could have been trimmed as it adds nothing whatsoever) and then Bruce comes back in. First few times I heard that section I was expecting a scream ala Run to the Hills or something to pair with the opening one. Maybe it's just me but that would have sounded bad-ass.

I anticipated one as well, but I think what we got instead was better. Very Dio-ish.

Kevin Shirley's work with Dream Theater (a band that has a lot more variance in sound to juggle during a recording and mixing process) clearly shows that the sound is not his fault.

Don't kid yourself - Steve is still totally driving these productions not Shirley, hence the 'co-producer' role.

Absolutely.

Oh I have no idea then. Something kept telling me it's Shirley's fault. Doesn't he do the final mixing and mastering though?

Maybe you should do review of full album after release? I mean - if you like making videos. You have some valid points in this review so why not? Just change angle of camera if you can and maybe better background (sorry, I work in marketing and sadly - I can be real pain in the ass when it comes to details) and do it. Anyway - thans for effort. I like it!

Oh I have no idea then. Something kept telling me it's Shirley's fault. Doesn't he do the final mixing and mastering though?
He does all the work but Steve approves it in the end. Watch the DotR documentary, even Kevin Shirley seems bewildered at Steves choice for a final master.

He does all the work but Steve approves it in the end. Watch the DotR documentary, even Kevin Shirley seems bewildered at Steves choice for a final master.

Sometimes I wish the band could just be locked out of the mastering sessions.

ALSO - the video has topped HALF A MILLION views! That's incredible.

Back