Songs you don't like as much because of multiple live recordings

Ascendingthethrone

Ancient Mariner
This seems like a random thread but bear with me. Are there any Iron Maiden songs that you don't like as much because they have been spoiled by multiple live recordings? I have to say this is the case for Blood Brothers. I love the Rock in Rio version. It is one of the best recordings of a Maiden song live. However, I do not like the versions on En Vivo (too much noodling) and BOS:LC (not a fan of the tempo). The song doesn't seem as special now as a result. Weird I know but does anyone else feel the same about certain songs?

The first release of a live version of "Fear of the Dark" was great (A Real Live One). Consequently, all subsequent versions have been disappointing or at least not as good (Bruce's laugh in the RiR version fails to make up for the exagerratingly slow start before the second verse).

The first release of a live version of "Fear of the Dark" was great (A Real Live One). Consequently, all subsequent versions have been disappointing or at least not as good (Bruce's laugh in the RiR version fails to make up for the exagerratingly slow start before the second verse).

I would concur with this. The live at donnington version of fear of the dark is fantastic both the audio and the video. Every version since has just made me want to listen to the live at donnington version.

Really? I don't feel like listening to any versions of FOTD other than Rock In Rio.

Some other examples (my opinion, ofc):

1) The Evil That Men Do on En Vivo is the best live version from the song and I don't feel like listening to any other. Maiden England's version is particularly bad compared to En Vivo's.

2) The Trooper from En Vivo is also the best live version from the song, although it's ok when I listen to LAD and Rock In Rio. But still, En Vivo is better and if I want to listen to The Trooper, that's the album I pick for a listen.

3) The Prisoner from BOH is the best version of the song BY FAR. On this one, I don't feel like listening to it anywhere (Not a fan of studio version anymore and not a fan from Maiden England's either because of the slow tempo).

4) Blood Brothers from RIR is the best version of the song. En Vivo's version is ok, but they added too much keyboard on the last part of the song, which annoys me very much.

5) Hallowed Be Thy Name from RIR is the best version of the song. En Vivo's version is very good, Flight 666 is ok, but the rest sucks for me, especially LAD and BOH. Not a fan of HBTN live during the 80's. I can take the studio version, though.

6) Rime of the Ancient Mariner from Flight 666 is the best version of the song BY FAR. I don't feel like listening to studio + LAD version at all.

Man, the list could go on and on... I might make it all when I have time.

Nice thread, by the way.

Really? I don't feel like listening to any versions of FOTD other than Rock In Rio.

Some other examples (my opinion, ofc):

1) The Evil That Men Do on En Vivo is the best live version from the song and I don't feel like listening to any other. Maiden England's version is particularly bad compared to En Vivo's.

2) The Trooper from En Vivo is also the best live version from the song, although it's ok when I listen to LAD and Rock In Rio. But still, En Vivo is better and if I want to listen to The Trooper, that's the album I pick for a listen.

3) The Prisoner from BOH is the best version of the song BY FAR. On this one, I don't feel like listening to it anywhere (Not a fan of studio version anymore and not a fan from Maiden England's either because of the slow tempo).

4) Blood Brothers from RIR is the best version of the song. En Vivo's version is ok, but they added too much keyboard on the last part of the song, which annoys me very much.

5) Hallowed Be Thy Name from RIR is the best version of the song. En Vivo's version is very good, Flight 666 is ok, but the rest sucks for me, especially LAD and BOH. Not a fan of HBTN live during the 80's. I can take the studio version, though.

6) Rime of the Ancient Mariner from Flight 666 is the best version of the song BY FAR. I don't feel like listening to studio + LAD version at all.

Man, the list could go on and on... I might make it all when I have time.

Nice thread, by the way.

Agree with you on HBTN. Thanks by the way!

Wicker Man is another one that bugs me. I don't like the En Vivo recording of it (what is Adrian doing on the intro?) but the RIR version is killer.

Agree with you on HBTN. Thanks by the way!

Wicker Man is another one that bugs me. I don't like the En Vivo recording of it (what is Adrian doing on the intro?) but the RIR version is killer.

Yes... The Wicker Man on RIR > En Vivo's. Well, Adrian's intro doesn't bother me that much (he clearly just wanted to change it a bit), but the thing is that the RIR version has much more energy. It's faster, the solo is better and Bruce was on fire, while he didn't put the same effort on En Vivo.

I can honestly say there are no songs I like less because of live recordings. There's prob a few live recordings I like more than the studio, in fact. One that comes to mind is Phantom off LAD...

Rime of the Ancient Mariner from Flight 666 is the best version of the song BY FAR. I don't feel like listening to studio + LAD version at all.
Flight’s version of Rime is absolutely behemoth, but I doubt I could not like any other version of it. LAD’s feels slimmer, I think, but also good. Still, nothing beats the original studio version, IMO. It IS certainly one of the best live songs ever, if not topping the list...

I think I'd likely appreciate Wrathchild more if it hadn't been included on so many live albums. It's become a skip song for me thanks to that.

Re: best versions of songs, The Trooper on Flight 666 is really hard to beat for me, although it's pretty decent on DotR too, with Nicko's insane run during Davey's solo. He just keeps going and going on the bass drum doubles for forever on that one. Insane. But yeah, for most of the 80s songs I've come to prefer various live takes, especially the reunion ones since many of the officially released live takes have spotty vocals from Bruce comparatively.

Oh, and "The Number of the Beast" as the live B-side to "Aces High" is not very good, as far as I remember.

DotR version of Trooper is best
RiR version of Hallowed is great
F666 version of RotAM is best
also like Powerslave on Live Chapter

I can't think of a single song that is ruined by too many live recordings. If I like a song I'm still going to like it no matter how many times I hear it. Sometimes live versions of older songs sound a bit tired and I can do without hearing those, but the original studio versions are always going to be good.

There are some live versions of songs that I like more than the studio versions though, namely Fear of the Dark at Rio.

This is not a big issue for me as I rarely listen to live albums by Maiden.

But I was very sick of Hallowed be thy name for several years thanks to the first level of Ed Hunter back in the days...

But I was very sick of Hallowed be thy name for several years thanks to the first level of Ed Hunter back in the days...
Wasn't it "Phantom of the Opera" that played repeatedly throughout the first level (street + underground) by default?

Yeah,

Hallowed was the third level.

It always used to crash for me when I got to a certain point in the third level, did this happen to anyone else? I tried different PCs and even picked up a copy of the US edition (due to Wrathchild 99 being on it) and it still crashed at the same point.

Back