Songs that could have been hits with a better chorus

Maidenhell

Prowler
Is there any songs where a bad chorus destroys an otherwise brilliant song?
A few comes to mind :
Invaders: Amazing song but a very weird chorus
Loneliness of the long distance runner:
Although I think this should have been a ballad all the way throuh its still a badass song except for the boring drawn out chorus :p
Quest for fire: A really great song and amazing solo(bad lyrics though). Chorus again very monotone and boring
The Duellists: Love the verses and riffs but that chorus is just annoying
Back in the village: This could have been the best song of Powerslave if they just replaced the monotone chorus with a more melodic one. Again verses and riffs are amazing

Good picks for bad choruses.

Runner is a great song despite its tedious chorus. I wouldn't call QFF, Village and Duellists "otherwise brilliant" but the choruses definitely hurt them. Invaders, on the other hand, is just an awkward song overall, the chorus just happens to be the worst thing about it. It has a great bassline, but I think Steve failed to build a song around it.

I'd say No More Lies is one song where the chorus really drags the song down.

Isle of Avalon!
Great buildup to nothing
Both coruses are really generic and lazy

Although I think this should have been a ballad all the way throuh its still a badass song except for the boring drawn out chorus :p
Quest for fire: A really great song and amazing solo(bad lyrics though). Chorus again very monotone and boring
Funny how opinions can differ: I find these three choruses very good but these songs have very poor verses in my opinion. ;)

The example I have in mind is the chorus of "Mother of Mercy": unsingable (I suspect the studio version to be copy-pasted), strange dynamics... . Also: "Different World" and of course "No More Lies".

Are you listening to the fills Adrian is playing in TLOTLDR chorus? <3

Also, No More Lies chorus, less is more my friends

Should have left the “sliding we go” bit as the chorus and got rid of the “how long..” bit

Lord of Light. I totally lose interest when the chorus comes in, but the clean intro and the verse are incredible.

No More Lies (x48)
The Longest Day (Sliding we go... is one of my favourite Maiden parts ever)
When The River Runs Deep (I will never understand why they decided to go double time on it)

and of course

Invaders (The chorus is ultimate cheese)

The educated fool (God that chorus is terrible, but the intro and verses are great)
Lord of light
Caught somewhere in time
Man on the edge
Wildest dreams

Is there any songs where a bad chorus destroys an otherwise brilliant song?
A few comes to mind :
Invaders: Amazing song but a very weird chorus
Back in the village: This could have been the best song of Powerslave if they just replaced the monotone chorus with a more melodic one. Again verses and riffs are amazing

Only choruses of those I don't enjoy is Back in the Village and Invaders.

The Longest Day’s chorus sucks. Probably the single worst in the discography, just because it’s such a let-down.

Nah, I like TLD.

For me it's SSOASS and TRATB (the whoahs are the "chorus", right?) Both stellar songs with flabbergasting closing instrumental sections, but you have to get through the cheesy chorus first. Terrible waste of perfectly good songs.

Longest Day Chorus is solid but it had so much potential to be amazing. For me Heaven Can Wait could of been amazing is the lyrics were stronger. Invaders could use some work as previously stated.

I see blasphemy on this thread.
  • Invaders is endearing. It's full on Super Mario power up. How is that not bad ass?
  • There's a time to live and a time to die... That's as metal as you can get. Love the uptake after the verse.
  • Bruce is good at reminding you he's back in the village. Again. Damn straight. Killer chorus with a sense of urgency.
  • Ah The Duellists... Fight for the honour, Fight for the splendor... Again, totally metal and awesome.
  • The Longest Day... Actually that one does suck.

I see blasphemy on this thread.
  • Invaders is endearing. It's full on Super Mario power up. How is that not bad ass?
  • There's a time to live and a time to die... That's as metal as you can get. Love the uptake after the verse.
  • Bruce is good at reminding you he's back in the village. Again. Damn straight. Killer chorus with a sense of urgency.
  • Ah The Duellists... Fight for the honour, Fight for the splendor... Again, totally metal and awesome.
  • The Longest Day... Actually that one does suck.
You knocked it right outta the park.

For me it’s Man On The Edge, nice intro, verses then you get the “falling down, falling down... is just daft.

I could say a bunch of Steve’s where he just repeats the title in the chorus, I mean Seventh Son, Brave New World etc etc

Back