Sign of the Cross

How good is Sign of the Cross on a scale of 1-10?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Sign of the Cross

Epic with enthralling intro, I really love that Gregorian choir. The song has an amazing first half and I actually like the parts with the vocals better than the instrumental section. In fact, I find that instrumental section a bit lengthy, because some parts are a bit repetitive, especially that one with guitar melody, before the last chorus.
It draws the power a bit out of the track imo.

Albie said:
When I knew Maiden had a new album out with Blaze on vocals, before I heard it I tried to visualise what it would be like. I had this notion that they would be standing in a very dark place and the music would be slow and moody - then it bang, it would come to life. Sounds bizarre, but that how it was. 10/10.

Then you probably hadn't heard Man on the Edge before the album came out. Something entirely else, eh. :)

Amazing song! Rock in Rio version is a hell lot better.

Btw, it's my dad's favorite Maiden song.

10/10

This song is all about the atmosphere. Like Foro, I really enjoy the Gregorian Chant and the intro that follows really sets the scene. Then the main song kicks in and how. The dark lyrics perfectly fit the mood of the song. The pre-chorus is great (They'll be saying their prayers...) and the chorus that follows is one of the most under rated of Maiden career. The instrumental, is one of the finest things Maiden have wrote. Initially there are some excellent melodies before the returning Gregorian chant kicks off one of the greatest 5 minutes in metal. The song takes on a more sinister form straight after, maintaining the dark vibe before the song kicks on again. 7:56 is the start of a brilliant guitar melody, before some excellent solos carry it on before the guitar melody returns. Then the greatest section of the song comes, the part the whole instrumental section is building to and even the brilliant build up to it.

It's a solid 10/10 off of the album. At Rock in Rio the song really come alive and is significantly better than off of the album. My 2nd favourite Iron Maiden song.

Love the slow build and the plodding, unstoppably bleak feel of the intro and the verses. Good chorus too, but where this song really shines is the fantastic instrumental portion. Some might dock it points for following the template of 7th Son. I say it’s a better song — better melodies, more emotional feel. An all-time track — second best song of the dark era and just my second ten since Powerslave.

mckindog said:
Some might dock it points for following the template of 7th Son. I say it’s a better song

I am glad I am not the only person who feels that way!

Probably most people feel that way guys, come on. (Not me of course ;) )

That Sign of the Cross is better than the (song) Seventh Son of a Seventh Son? I doubt that. I am sure it would cause fisticuffs amongst Maiden fans.

LooseCannon said:
That Sign of the Cross is better than the (song) Seventh Son of a Seventh Son? I doubt that. I am sure it would cause fisticuffs amongst Maiden fans.

The ratings will tell us in the end, but I have always seen less (or no!) negative posts about this song, when I compare that with the SSOASS topic.

Both are good, but I love SSoaSS just a bit more.

9. It scared me when of the first listening to The X Factor on the morning of Saturday, November 18th, 1995; as the gregorian chants came in I thought that it was the wrong CD, another Iron Maiden! Then comes the intro, that low voice, in tone and in volume, certainly was nothing to do with the voice we were used to listen on a Maiden album. When the song did burst with that insistent rhythm and that desperate voice singing about seeking salvation and redemption, I knew that Maiden had found different roads to ride; by the macabre instrumental section, I was totally overwhelmed! A different epic, but with all the trademarks of an 'Arry penned epic. What a beginning!!! :edmetal:

The mid section drags too long, it's somewhat too slow, when you compare it with live versions.
Other than that, it's one of the 90's gems, with perfect guitar solos. I like how the pre-verse calm part is repeated three times, not two, not four. Nice bit for a small surprise.

Yes, this song is in class with best Maiden epics, closers of the '80s albums + SSoASS. Therefore it's a 10.

The lyrical depth, the dark atmosphere and some of the instrumental passages are all superb. Great song. I also really like that guitar lick which comes at the end of the vocal lines during the pre-chorus (for example after "there'll be penance to pay when it's judgement day". However, I think the build-up to the solos is the greatest part of the song. That build-up is very suspenseful, and then the solos are as playful as anything off Powerslave.

A classic. 10/10.

Forostar said:
Then you probably hadn't heard Man on the Edge before the album came out. Something entirely else, eh. :)
I don't recall what I heard first, the album or the single - it could have been Man on the Edge as it was played a bit on TV at the time.

But I did have this idea of what it could be like before hearing any of it.

8/10. The clean guitar intro is so good!! However, it seems to be lacking something for me.

Eddies Wingman said:
I also really like that guitar lick which comes at the end of the vocal lines during the pre-chorus (for example after "there'll be penance to pay when it's judgement day".

*nods*

Together with Blaze's singing, these parts are the reason why the couplets are my highlights of this song.

So this is it. Iron Maiden version 2.0. The rebirth of the band, for good and for bad. This album marks the time when Maiden cut the ties to their past and left behind many of their 80s trademarks.When someone asks how modern day Maiden got to be where they are now in their career., you don't point them to The Trooper, Aces High or Can I Play With Madness. You point them to this track and album.

As for the track itself. I'm so happy Maiden did not start out with Man on The Edge. Sign of The Cross sets the perfect atmosphere with the chant and the intro for the rest of the album. Such a powerful delivery from the band.

The Rock in Rio version may be even better, when the first verse kicks in with "standing alone in the wind and rain" the energy is just immense!

Rating, 10/10

10/10 song for me and an absolute classic.  And it's not like I can prove it now or anything, but I thought that highly of this song before ever hearing or seeing Bruce do it.  And his live version is incredible as well.

Jeffmetal, I had the same reaction when I first heard this album back in 1995.  Going in I was expecting a fast uptempo lead track (basically, Man on the Edge) and was surprised to have such a slow moving song as the lead track.  It definitely works within the context of the album though that's for sure.

And I'm sure this will be controversial, but I'm going to state it anyway.  This is the last GREAT epic song solely written by Harris.  There have been good ones since (Clansman, Blood Brothers) but nothing quite as well done as Sign of the Cross.  At least to my ears.

Magnificent song.

this song is amazing. easily the best song with blaze. janicks speed really works for him in this solo. Great atmoshere.
10/10

I don't really have the energy to write something proper now, so I'll just stick with saying 10/10.

Back