Short-answer questions

The song ''Iron Maiden'' is played live since 1975/1976.

You can check this thread:

I spoke with Paul Day a few years ago. He confirmed to me they played Iron Maiden in those days

Anyone knows why the band don't allow guests or share the stage with support bands?
They stopped in 1992 I think.
I know they share stage with Blackfoot in 1982 to play The Grange
There is a picture where Nicko let Lars Ulrich play the cymbals in 1987
WE know some members of other bands sings trough heaven can wait since 1986 to 1992
Killer Dwarfs were on stage in the last song of the last date of the Seventh Tour 1988
Anthrax playing Sanctuary on stage with Maiden in No prayer on the Road tour 1990/91.

But since then…

This might have occurred before, but is there any specific reason why Maiden hasn't released more instrumental songs?
Sure, the later actual songs have instrumental sections and passages, but I would definitely have wanted them to have more actual instrumental songs.
Small little tunes, when played live enabled little break for the singer, to change costume or rest voice..

Sometimes I spent time listening to the isolated tracks, if there's any for certain instrument or vocals. Those are neat, as there's always some little things, like details that you might not at all notice or hear from the released song.

Last edited:
Book Of Souls doesn´t come even close near the greatness of Powerslave IMO. For me the least favourite of all their title track songs, Iron Maiden not included.

Agreed! The Parchment is a massive majestic mammoth masterpiece!
Another example that likes/ dislikes are all personal, subjective matters. IMO The Book of Souls is the greatest song they ever recorded and no song from the 80s can come close. However, I can agree on The Parchment :).

When Maiden played ''No More Lies'' live in 2003 (and in 2010 too), the melody around 4:28 in the studio version was played as a harmony live - I don't think we've had another case like this, I could be wrong though (''Lord Of The Flies'' live in 2003?). Why do you think they decided to do this?

Maybe as a harmony it sounds better. The melodies and the solos in the song are some of Maiden's very best imo (fun fact: this is the 3rd song with 3 solos in it).

This might have occurred before, but is there any specific reason why Maiden hasn't released more instrumental songs?
I think it's because they have a lot of epics in their albums with long instrumental sections. The fact that we got ''Losfer Words'' is a bonus, I think. And almost none of the classic metal bands that started in the 70's release instrumental songs since their early albums. The vocalists should be ''up front'', I guess.

can anybody tell me when Bruce came up with the "Scream for me..." phrase? I think in 1982 it hasn't been born, but did he he use it on the World Piece Tour?

Think it was probably in the States on the World Slavery Tour, he says "Speak to me Hammersmith" on 22 Acacia Avenue on side 4 which was recorded before they went to the US, but by LA it may have evolved into "Scream for me"

The album is what made it the catchphrase either way, if it wasn't on a live album he might have continued to try other new phrases.

When Maiden played ''No More Lies'' live in 2003 (and in 2010 too), the melody around 4:28 in the studio version was played as a harmony live - I don't think we've had another case like this, I could be wrong though (''Lord Of The Flies'' live in 2003?). Why do you think they decided to do this?

Maybe as a harmony it sounds better. The melodies and the solos in the song are some of Maiden's very best imo (fun fact: this is the 3rd song with 3 solos in it).

I've listened to 'Dance Of Death' full album this morning and I noticed that some solo guitars parts has been played in harmony on the studio versions of some songs ("Gates Of Tomorrow", "Face In The Sand").

Think it was probably in the States on the World Slavery Tour, he says "Speak to me Hammersmith" on 22 Acacia Avenue on side 4 which was recorded before they went to the US, but by LA it may have evolved into "Scream for me"

The album is what made it the catchphrase either way, if it wasn't on a live album he might have continued to try other new phrases.

Just listened to Reading 82, and he does the "scream for me Reading!, scream for me Reading!" routine in Iron Maiden on there, so it seems he was already saying "scream for me" a few months into his first tour.

He did not say it at any point on Beast over Hammersmith, which was before he had even done 30 gigs with Maiden, so it's origin must be somewhere between Hammersmith and Reading.

can anybody tell me when Bruce came up with the "Scream for me..." phrase? I think in 1982 it hasn't been born, but did he he use it on the World Piece Tour?
Listening to a recording done in Philadelphia in 1982 and he was already using the "Scream for me" before Iron Maiden. At the beginning of the tour, he used to introduce it with a "..it's a song about a medieval instrument of torture..." so he probably started using it somewhere during the tour but not each time.
But he used to change quite a bit during the World Piece tour (in here it was something like "give me a scream, scream louder...Iron Maiden") and the World Slavery tour (at least during the european part of the World Slavery tour, he used quite a long monologue starting with "give me an I, give me an R...given me an N, what does that spell?...Iron Maiden) and then changed again to the classic "Scream for me". So it was probably during this tour that he adopted it permanently

Because people are stupid. They have never played it live.
Actually there is no evidence that it hasn't been played. In some interviews, Adrian mentionned the fact that they played 6 songs out of 8 at the beginning of the tour. So probably, as they used to do during those days (specially the World Slavery Tour and Somewhere on Tour) maybe they've played it once or twice during the very first dates before dropping it or replacing it with another song (Losfer Words??). The "problem" is that, unlike the Somewhere on tour where we have quite a few bootlegs from the first shows including the one and only where they played The loneliness of a long distance runner and some others where they played Flight of Icarus, there is not a lot of shows (at least fully complete) from the dates done behind the Iron Curtain. So I think it will always remain a complete mystery...

Actually there is no evidence that it hasn't been played. In some interviews, Adrian mentionned the fact that they played 6 songs out of 8 at the beginning of the tour. So probably, as they used to do during those days (specially the World Slavery Tour and Somewhere on Tour) maybe they've played it once or twice during the very first dates before dropping it or replacing it with another song (Losfer Words??). The "problem" is that, unlike the Somewhere on tour where we have quite a few bootlegs from the first shows including the one and only where they played The loneliness of a long distance runner and some others where they played Flight of Icarus, there is not a lot of shows (at least fully complete) from the dates done behind the Iron Curtain. So I think it will always remain a complete mystery...
And nobody ever said, in nearly 40 years, to have witnessed that song played live? :)

I mean, known bootlegs from World Slavery Tour come as back as the so-called Third Evening in Poland (Poznan, 11 August, 1984), but seriously, do we really think that at the end of the fourth decade after that shows not even a single witness has spoken about it?

And nobody ever said, in nearly 40 years, to have witnessed that song played live? :)

I mean, known bootlegs from World Slavery Tour come as back as the so-called Third Evening in Poland (Poznan, 11 August, 1984), but seriously, do we really think that at the end of the fourth decade after that shows not even a single witness has spoken about it?
Well, it might be the same as for the Loneliness being played in Belgrade...we all know about it thanks to the existing bootleg. Not sure a lot of people witnessed it live back then and are around in these forums to speak about it (at least as far as I can remember, I don't remember a member of Maiden forums talked about being there but my memory might fail as well). But on the other hand, the only clue about Back in the village being played is an interview with Adrian where he said they played 6 songs out of Powerslave. So was it played only on the very first show as for The Loneliness, was it never played, probably something we will never know for sure.
To be honest, I don't believe that much it was played, I feel that Adrian's memory might be wrong about it. But it would be an amazing thing to discover almost 40 years later a bootleg with BitV in it...

Well, it might be the same as for the Loneliness being played in Belgrade...we all know about it thanks to the existing bootleg. Not sure a lot of people witnessed it live back then and are around in these forums to speak about it (at least as far as I can remember, I don't remember a member of Maiden forums talked about being there but my memory might fail as well). But on the other hand, the only clue about Back in the village being played is an interview with Adrian where he said they played 6 songs out of Powerslave. So was it played only on the very first show as for The Loneliness, was it never played, probably something we will never know for sure.
To be honest, I don't believe that much it was played, I feel that Adrian's memory might be wrong about it. But it would be an amazing thing to discover almost 40 years later a bootleg with BitV in it...
Yes but this is the kind of problem that only a die-hard fan would ask himself... and a die-hard fan has no point in finding a witness of Belgrade 1986, as he surely would know the bootleg :p

It's a serpent biting its own tail, at the end of the day. Admitting that they never played it is the most economical choice—and also we all know that Adrian's memory tends to be a little defective sometimes.

PS—regarding people witnessing rare events, I once met a descendant of one of Wladimir Horowitz's brothers. This person told me that they actually met the great pianist, only once and as a child, but couldn't remember much of him. This to say that I'm not saying that some witness of a live performance of that song may exist somewhere on the internet... but that it's extremely unlike that nobody has seen it.

Last edited:
I didn't know what other topic to post this in, so here goes:

A colleague of mine owns Eddie's Archive and would possibly like to sell it to me since he doesn't do much with it or look at it himself anymore.

Now he himself is looking a bit at what he could ask for Eddie's Archive but we can't find a medium of a price anywhere. On ebay people are selling it for around 600 euros, while on discogs it says people are selling it for as little as 15 euros.

Does anyone know how much Eddie's Archive is or could be worth approximately? I might want to buy it from him if the price is right, but I'm not going to put down 500 euros for a tin box with a CD in it so to speak.....

I should mention that he has the first edition with the blue inlay instead of the red inlay. Apparently that makes it worth more?

It's worth 50 Euros, I'll buy it from him for 60.

Seriously though, there is neither a reliable price list nor a calculable market for this sort of thing. It's "worth" whatever people are willing to pay for it. On a good day you might find three people willing to pay 500 Euros for it, on a bad day it's going to sit there abandoned with a price tag of 100. Maiden collectors are a niche market and as such this market is unpredictable.

Back