Short-answer questions

It was not fair TFF album to have only one proper leg (although I love the concept of the 2010 tour)... all of the songs will shine live even more than their album versions, as we can hear from En Vivo!

Then again, the 2011 tour was a full-fledged world tour with good coverage: they toured Europe (inc. lots of UK dates), all around Asia (very bad luck with Japan though), Australia, South America...

I was actually a little surprised they didn't play The Alchemist live since it's a pretty obvious choice of live song. Certainly not the strongest on the album but it had Bruce's lyrics which I'm sure he'd like and it's a short, uptempo rocker. But then again, the last time they played more than one of Janick's songs from the album they're touring behind was BNW. I'm obviously discounting AMOLAD since they did the whole album and the five songs they picked for 2007 included neither The Pilgrim nor The Legacy.

I was actually a little surprised they didn't play The Alchemist live since it's a pretty obvious choice of live song. Certainly not the strongest on the album but it had Bruce's lyrics which I'm sure he'd like and it's a short, uptempo rocker. But then again, the last time they played more than one of Janick's songs from the album they're touring behind was BNW. I'm obviously discounting AMOLAD since they did the whole album and the five songs they picked for 2007 included neither The Pilgrim nor The Legacy.
Spot on. I wish they had replaced ''Blood Brothers'' (because it was played during the next album tour and in 2010 too) with a 6th song from TFF for the 2011 leg of the tour. I love the song, but one reunion era song for another is fair.

... the other albums with worst or similar ratio are DOD (6 out 11 songs... they played the right ones and the setlist was the same for both legs) and FOTD (5 out of 12 songs... at least three more would have been great).
^ If I have to guess which other songs they would have played from both albums:

DOD - I would love to hear ''Face In The Sand'' live, but Nicko is probably against that. ''Montségur'' would be a great live song and I was a little surprised it wasn't played (although ''The Fallen Angel'' from the previous album has a similar vibe and it was played live only 7 times). The other three songs have choruses that won't be so good live, I think. The setlist was the same for both legs of the tour and I like it a lot, but they could have played one more song from the album. Maybe the band didn't believe that much in the album.

FOTD - Steve wanted to do ''The Fugitive'' in Donington '92 and I think it would have been a good atmospheric live song. ''Judas Be My Guide'' was a must, really (perfect song for a lead single). I like ''Childhood's End'' a lot, but maybe it wouldn't be a good live song (the chorus is specific). ''Weekend Warrior'' would have been a very good live song (very underrated song too with brutal solos). The other three songs don't have big chances (especially ''Chains Of Misery'', because Steve is not a fan of it, iirc). Real Live Tour was basically the 2nd leg of FOTD tour and I think because of Bruce's departure, no more new songs were played in 1993 - the classics were a priority.

Last edited:
I’d love to live on a version of Planet Earth where Judas Be Cool and Face in the Sand were played live. Also Montsegur. That song is a bulldozer.

Surely Iron Maiden's most played song in concerts is naturally Iron Maiden, but are there any more comprehensive documents about the early times and shows of the band in 1976? Especially the first show 15th of february 1979 onwards.
Im just reading Steve "Loopy" Newhouses book and wondered how early did they really start to play Iron Maiden-song live?

Last edited:
I'm sure Steve keep it everything in his diary since day 1.
Maybe you can make a research on local newspapers of that time. it could be digitalized.
Damn, I just wish that I knew Steve Harris so could ask straight from him.
By the way Im from Finland and Im not from London, UK. So Im not sure is there even a way to access all those newspapers and such.
It might be that the first few years and little tours in the pubs, the setlists from those early days will be total mystery unless someone (Harris?) releases something that sheds the light on those early times.

Last edited:
Surely Iron Maiden's most played song in concerts is naturally Iron Maiden, but are there any more comprehensive documents about the early times and shows of the band in 1976? Especially the first show 15th of february 1979 onwards.
Im just reading Steve "Loopy" Newhouses book and wondered how early did they really start to play Iron Maiden-song live?
The song ''Iron Maiden'' is played live since 1975/1976.

You can check this thread:

Last edited:
Click on this link and go to the "additional notes" section. ;)

No need for the "winky". This is not official information. Metal Archives is a great resource, but it has errors too. The Graham Chapman myth is a very long-standing one, but it's never been substantiated by any interview, album credit or anything else. People just repeated it so often that it's believed to be true now. But if you just care to actually listen, you will notice that the voice sounds nothing like Chapman, but a whole lot like Bruce.

No need for the "winky". This is not official information. Metal Archives is a great resource, but it has errors too. The Graham Chapman myth is a very long-standing one, but it's never been substantiated by any interview, album credit or anything else. People just repeated it so often that it's believed to be true now. But if you just care to actually listen, you will notice that the voice sounds nothing like Chapman, but a whole lot like Bruce.
Yeah, I know, but this Maiden section on the Metal Archives has been filled by real Maiden fans. And if you ask the band or some people who knows personally the band very well, they'll tell you that it's Chapman who did the voice on the intro of "Alexander The Great", even if I agree with you about the similarity between Bruce's and Graham's voices. :) And some "off-voices" here in France who did some adverts and movies dubbing are not always mentioned on the closing credits... This is the same with this intro. Plus I must say that Bruce wasn't credited as songwriter and composer on 'The Number Of The Beast' album but Steve and Adrian have confirmed many times in interviews that he wrote some guitar+vocal lines and wrote some lyrics parts without being stated in the credits, because of the contracts he had at the time both with EMI and Samson's label. :)

Back