Short-answer questions

According with discogs.com and metalarchives.com he has worked with Testament as a engineer and producer in 2001 and for British Lion in 2012 so… WTF happened?

@Luisma Thank you very much.

As a result of Doug Hall leaving the Maiden family corporation we ended up suffering really bad live sound with Martin Walker for 5 years. Thankfully things were corrected when they hired Pooch, who is - by far - the best FOH engineer they have ever had. Shame they did not find him earlier!

Always a pleasure mate.

Totally agree with you on your comment. I did hear and see loads and loads of criticism about the sound when Martin took care and they definitely went to right way with Pooch. Now, do you think that Pooch is better than Doug?!

It's important to note how much gear has improved in the last 10 years when you compare Pooch to Doug. It has had a tremendous impact. The invention (or to be exact, the development of the first professional touring system) of Line Array speakers by L'acoustics in the mid 90's was a complete game changer as well.

Last edited:
Always a pleasure mate.

Totally agree with you on your comment. I did hear and see loads and loads of criticism about the sound when Martin took care and they definitely went to right way with Pooch. Now, do you think that Pooch is better than Doug?!

Yes, I do. I have never seen Maiden sound as clear live as they do now with Pooch as FOH engineer.

For the sake of comparison using the same venue as the reference, I have seen Maiden six times at the O2 arena in London (2 in 2011 with Doug Hall, 2 in 2017 with Martin Walker and 2 in 2018 with Pooch). The best sound was, by far, with Pooch: loud whilst incredibly clear at the same time.

Hey i
Yes, I do. I have never seen Maiden sound as clear live as they do now with Pooch as FOH engineer.

For the sake of comparison using the same venue as the reference, I have seen Maiden six times at the O2 arena in London (2 in 2011 with Doug Hall, 2 in 2017 with Martin Walker and 2 in 2018 with Pooch). The best sound was, by far, with Pooch: loud whilst incredibly clear at the same time.

Very interesting mate, and great way of comparing them. Thanks for the reply

Not sure where else to ask this question, so here goes: if I want to collect one bottle of each Trooper beer solely as souvenir, what’s the best way to do that? I live in the States.

On 12 Wasted Years video documentary - the track list in Wikipedia (in the additional tracks list, to be precise) says that the song ''Prowler'' is featured in this documentary, but when I've watched it today, I think I didn't hear ''Prowler'' there.... maybe I've missed it - Can someone confirm?

Haven't watched it in years, but I'm pretty sure Prowler is featured when it's number 1 in the chart published in Sounds magazine, based on requests at Neal Kay's rock club.

On 12 Wasted Years video documentary - the track list in Wikipedia (in the additional tracks list, to be precise) says that the song ''Prowler'' is featured in this documentary, but when I've watched it today, I think I didn't hear ''Prowler'' there.... maybe I've missed it - Can someone confirm?
Hey my friend, yep, you did miss it. To get to 'Prowler' you see in order:

SIASL
Steve Harris at Cart & Horses
Charlotte The Harlot
Steve again
Sky trax clip with Steve and Dave
Keith Wilfort
Vic Vella
Excerpt from 20th Century Box
Steve talking about TSHT
Paul Di'Anno
And the 'Prowler' before Neal Kay appears and until Steve starts to talk about Neal calling him

Haven't watched it in years, but I'm pretty sure Prowler is featured when it's number 1 in the chart published in Sounds magazine, based on requests at Neal Kay's rock club.
Hey my friend, yep, you did miss it. To get to 'Prowler' you see in order:

SIASL
Steve Harris at Cart & Horses
Charlotte The Harlot
Steve again
Sky trax clip with Steve and Dave
Keith Wilfort
Vic Vella
Excerpt from 20th Century Box
Steve talking about TSHT
Paul Di'Anno
And the 'Prowler' before Neal Kay appears and until Steve starts to talk about Neal calling him

Yep, it's there. I must have scrolled through it. It's a live version of ''Prowler'' - probably from 1980?

Yep, it's there. I must have scrolled through it. It's a live version of ''Prowler'' - probably from 1980?
It was recorded at The Marquee on April 3, 1980. That whole gig is resting on the Maiden archives waiting to be released and is the earliest official live version of the song.

It was recorded at The Marquee on April 3, 1980. That whole gig is resting on the Maiden archives waiting to be released and is the earliest official live version of the song.

That's the same gig from where the live versions of ''Drifter'', POTO and ''Sanctuary'' in the Live!! +one EP [1980], right ?

- ''Drifter'' and I've Got The Fire from this same gig also appear as a B-sides on the Sanctuary single. POTO from this gig (along with Invasion) appear on the Woman In Uniform single, if I'm not mistaken.

That's the same gig from where the live versions of ''Drifter'', POTO and ''Sanctuary'' in the Live!! +one EP [1980], right ?

- ''Drifter'' and I've Got The Fire from this same gig also appear as a B-sides on the Sanctuary single. POTO from this gig (along with Invasion) appear on the Woman In Uniform single, if I'm not mistaken.
No! Those are, as a matter of fact, from the night after (April 4).

Maiden recorded on tape all 3 of the gigs and have at least 2 of them recorded on video.

No! Those are, as a matter of fact, from the night after (April 4).

Maiden recorded on tape all 3 of the gigs and have at least 2 of them recorded on video.

The black & white videos of ''Drifter'' and POTO (in 12 Wasted Years) are from this gig, right ?

The footage was originally broadcast in a special on heavy metal in a show called "20th century box" in 1980.
As far as I recall, there is no footage in 12WY that is not present in that broadcast.

Some football related trivia from that 20 Century Box clip, the presenter Danny Baker is famously a fan of Millwall FC, and the footage of Urchin playing She's a Roller actually comes from a BBC documentary about Millwall's hooligans in the 70's.

Back