Shadows Of The Valley

How good is Shadows of the Valley on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A little bit of WY, a little bit of AMOLAD feeling (can't point which song exactly -Benjamin Breeg maybe- and that's frustrating but I know it's there). Fine by me. Not all songs have to be a complex, intricate maze. This song go straight to the point and a bit of accessibility doesn't kill.

There's too much familiar territory in this song. With the Wasted Years intro and Fallen Angel verses, it's the least original piece on the album.
The chorus and solos are good though. My favorite part is when Bruce comes back in after the first two solos, "Into the valley of death fear no evil"

Only listened to it once, and thus far its the least good song on the album, even 'weaker' than SoL. But that's just after one listen, so it probably could grow!

Aside from the pedal point, it really isn't all that samey sounding to wasted years. Also this song is amazing. Bruce sounds fantastic, as someone else said, with, "Into the valley of death fear no evil... Into the valley of death follow me now"

This song is one of the real highlights of the album for me. Aside from the Wasted Years similarities, the melody of the vocals at the very beginning of the song kinda reminds me of Isle of Avalon.

What I'm most curious about is the actual meaning of the song. The whole "Shadow of the valley of death" thing seems to be a reference to the famous Psalm 23 from the bible, but I'm not sure as to the rest of the song as a whole. Who exactly are the people that the chorus is referring to? and the rest of the song for that matter?

I know that this is totally wrong but I like to think that this song is inspired by Game of Thrones. :]

Mixed feelings, right now, but maybe it grows...

Come on, how could they let this intro pass. If they decide to play this one live, people will be confused. Generally this song is quite BNW-like in my opinion. I could see it there or on DoD (and unfortunately it would be one of the weakest there). It's average until the anthemic 5:51 part, which is fantastic. Maybe the song would be better in a shorter form.

What?! This comment is ridiculous. To rate a song a 1 should mean it is really awful and not just that you don't care for. The technical performance alone makes this far better than a one.
They can do stuff like this in their sleep.
I don't 'hate' the track, but it's extremely lackluster.
After 5 years, it's lazy.
And don't you keep thinking, "They've done this before, but better?", cos I do.

Back