Seventh Son of a Seventh Son: Full Concept Album?

I still love the idea that the first part of the album is about the original seventh son and the second part is about the his seventh son.

Well, it's all about the same person. Moonchild is the only song which takes place before the SSoaSS's birth. Bruce explains it in an interview posted on YouTube. You should be able to find it in the ''interview-something-something'' thread on this forum. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (the song) sort of summarize the first ones I think.

But it says in SSoaSS that the SSoaSS is born and grows up.
It's a bit hard for a guy to live through 4 songs without actually being born.

SSoaSS goes from his birth, through discovering his powers and being tempted by evil.

Moonchild - before birth
Infinite Dreams - discovering his powers
Can I Play With Madness? - seeing a prophet
The Evil that Men Do - being tempted by Satan

Reumeren said:
SSoaSS goes from his birth, through discovering his powers and being tempted by evil.

Moonchild - before birth
Infinite Dreams - discovering his powers
Can I Play With Madness? - seeing a prophet
The Evil that Men Do - being tempted by Satan

No, the song SSoaSS.
I'm aware that the album is about himXD

gor said:
[!--QuoteBegin-chewwwi+Feb 27 2004, 03:27 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(chewwwi @ Feb 27 2004, 03:27 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] i dont really understand the line seventh lamb slayed the book of life opens before me­  if gor's theory is right what is the meaning of that it has no common sense with gor's one
thank you
the slaying of of the seventh lamb... revelations, chapter 5, verse 6

symbolises sacrifice of sth sacred in order for a plan to be fulfilled, just like the virginity of the devil's daughter... she is the seventh lamb that is sacrificed for the devil to win control of the seventh son!
Wow, I did not expect this forum to have me open a bible. I think that a lamb with seven horns, and seven eyes, HAS to be sybolic of something we just dont really get to know.

Funny, all the **** retentive people in my life think Maiden is evil, but the band has had me open a bible more than they ever did. lol :innocent:

That's the best thing about bands that base their music on literature, movies and history etc: you can check them out later. I actually read Phantom of the Opera, The Name of the Rose and Moonchild (weird book) because of Maiden  ;)

79transam said:
Funny, all the **** retentive people in my life think Maiden is evil, but the band has had me open a bible more than they ever did. lol :innocent:

Funny...  :help:

So having just finished the book Seventh Son, I agree with the songs-out-of-order theory on the basis of Infinite Dreams. One of the chapters, "Visions," just screams Infinite Dreams, and it's when the seventh son of a seventh son, as a ten-year-old, has nightmares about the Unmaker (long story). So yeah, Infinite Dreams isn't about the father, so it must be the other option.

You know I coincide with the theory of the seventh son being borned in Moonchild, growing up in Infinite Dreams, asking a prophet in Can I Play, losing his virginity in The Evil and his spiritual reborn in SSOASS and choosing his path. About that, Ive always felt that the middle section was trying to recreate the mystical powers and the clairvoyance, while the solos where good and evil battling for the Seventh Son. What do you think about that?

yes indeed a prog concept album taking the band in the right direction..........rocks good with lots harmonies and great melodies and hooks!!......and IMO the best epic song they have ever done!

Infinite Dreams 10
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son 10
The Evil That Men Do 10
The Clairvoyant 10
The Prophecy 10
Only The Good Die Young 10
Can I Play With Madness 9
Moonchild 9

Not included (Black Bart Blues 9)

Average: 9,75

Last edited:
I think part of the beauty of it is that we, the fans, can sit here, 28 years later, and try to analyze and figure out the theme, what's the meaning of this part etc. I am pretty sure Steve and the band find that very rewarding, to have released something that fans still to this day try to "figure out". Are all the eight tracks really part of the concept etc etc. I have never been able to come up with a definite answer for that, but the band has been quoted in interviews stating that only about half the album is part of the concept, but that it "can mean whatever you want it to mean", hence, you can interpret it the way you want for yourself, and that's the beauty of it, I think.

I just know that I love this album so much, it is my favorite album of all time (although the rest of The Golden Era albums come very, very close).

Back