Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

Interesting that you guys think “Hell on Earth” is a shoe-in. I personally wouldn’t bet on it, it seems almost too emotional for the band unless they’re gonna actually play the full album live. At first I thought “The Parchment” would be the one they skip, but now I think it’s built to be played live. The lyrics are massive but the vocals are low to give Bruce a break, PLUS all the instrumental sections as well — it feels crafted for the live shows. Additionally Nicko has raved about it so there’s that. My money is on the following songs:

— Senjutsu
— Stratego
— The Writing on the Wall
— Days of Future Past
— The Time Machine
— Death of the Celts
— The Parchment

“Darkest Hour” could also be in there but I feel it’s slightly less likely than the others here. Bruce has spoken about how excited he is to play “The Time Machine” live so I think they’ll do it.
Hell On Earth and Senjutsu are BY FAR the most popular of the newly released tracks. That's why. They have like twice the listens on YT compared to other songs.

My 6 would have been Senjutsu, Stratego, Writing On The Wall, Days Of Future Past, The Darkest Hour, and Hell On Earth.

If Bruce has explicitly mentioned The Time Machine I'm going to have to revise that. The Darkest Hour feels the most likely of those 6 to go, which is a shame.

I can't believe I'm even thinking this, but I think there is a strong case that Senjutsu is the best album Maiden have ever released. I started following the band in 1980 so I've been there for every album as it was released and this alone makes it tough for me because I have a strong emotional attachment to the eighties and its music. I am also certainly mindful that the fact it's a new album that I enjoy could be swaying my opinion. It's also true that after the last two albums, my expectations coming into this one were very low indeed so there may be an element of pleasant surprise affecting my view. It's also fair to say that with a band like Iron Maiden, the live performance of these songs could well affect my perception. It's also fair to say that this is not a quintessential Maiden album and I certainly wouldn't suggest anyone starts with this one. Despite all of this, I still think that this could be their strongest ever studio album.

I pondered long and hard before placing it at the top of my list, and I kept telling myself that it was ridiculous that this album could topple the likes of Seventh Son, Somewhere in Time, Powerslave or Number of the Beast. To me, these four albums represent the height of Maiden's achievements as a band. They are of the very highest quality and come from the band's golden era, however, I am also aware of the fact that I have a strong emotional attachment to these albums for various reasons, and this will also affect my perspective. As undoubtedly great as these albums are, they are not without weaknesses if we look at them closely.

Number of the Beast
Run to the Hills, The Number of the Beast and Hallowed Be Thy Name are all classics for a reason and have rightly stood the test of time. They would stand against anything on Senjutsu easily and even stand at the top of the pile, but what of the rest of the album? They're mostly good songs and I love listening to them, but they don't stand out as particularly special or ambitious. Gangland is actually pretty average. This is undoubtedly a strong album and it was a game changer for them, but its legendary status is largely built on three stupendous songs.

Powerslave
This has the strongest start to an album as you could wish for with Aces High followed by Two Minutes to Midnight. It also has an incredible end with Powerslave and Rime of the Ancient Mariner. Very little else that they've done can live with these songs. Back in the Village is also a great song that is often overlooked. The other three are good, but they don't stand out in the same way. For me, this is why it's a better album than Number of the Beast.

Somewhere in Time
I've always loved this album and in some respects I prefer it to Powerslave, but overall I don't think it's as strong. Caught Somewhere in Time, Wasted Years and Stranger in a Strange Land are superb and are three of the very best songs they've ever done. I rank this one lower because although the other songs are good, they don't stand out to me as great. I do like Heaven Can Wait, but the closing epic track is one of my least favourite of all their epics and the other songs are just OK. That's a strong album, and even a great album, but that can't make it the best.

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
This is a really unusual album and I find it almost impossible to rank objectively. How many classic tracks are on this album? How many of these tracks have they ever played live other than on the tour to support this album? The harsh reality is that very little stands out here on an individual basis. The Evil That Men Do has obviously stood the test of time, and rightly so. I would also pick the title track, not because of its anthemic nature, but because of its ambition. This was taking their songwriting to a whole new level. For me, this is an album that is far greater than the sum of its parts. Individual songs may not stand out, but as an entire album it is a stunning achievement and that's why I rank it so high. It was an album they had been building towards since Bruce joined and I really do see it as the pinnacle of achievement for that incarnation of the band.

Now let's see how Senjutsu stands up against these albums using the same criteria.

Senjutsu
Does it have the classic tracks of The Number of the Beast and Somewhere in Time? I think that it's too early to say if we're honest, and the sheer length of many of the songs means that many may not feature in the live set for long, but I think there's a strong case to be made that a number of the songs could be viewed as potential classics.

Does it have the strong opening and ending of Powerslave? Yes, absolutely! The more I listen to the title track, the more I like it and I think it could be a real barnstormer live, but the strength here is deeper. On Powerslave, after you pass the first two tracks, there is a definite dip. On Senjutsu, where is the dip? Every single song on that first disc is absolutely superb; it's just one incredible song after another. I'd say that The Writing on the Wall is the weakest track there, largely because it's the one where Bruce's voice is most strained, but even this is a great song and contains one of the best guitar solos I've ever heard. I can't think of another first disc or first side that is as consistently good as this. The songs are filled with melody, great solos, great riffs, they're full of light and shade and they show an ambition in construction that I've rarely seen before.

So, a great start, but does the ending stand up against Powerslave? You have three strong songs on the second side of Powerslave and two of them are stand-out tracks. It's tough to beat that, but I think Senjutsu makes a strong case for itself. As a closing epic, Hell on Earth is as good or better than anything they've done before, including Rime of the Ancient Mariner. I honestly can't think of a closing epic track that is clearly better and it has a sophistication that I'm not sure they have achieved before. Rime of the Ancient Mariner is close and I would also suggest that Paschendale is a spectacular achievement that is even better, but Hell on Earth seems to be on a par with that, or at least it's VERY close. Darkest Hour is another superb track that really stands out and although I think The Parchment is too long, the musical journey and the level of musicianship is excellent. That only leaves Death of the Celts. I would say that compared to The Clansman, it falls short, and I think it is the weakest song on the album. It's not a bad song by any means; we're certainly not talking 'Quest for Fire' here, but it is the weakest on the album. The thing is, even if we say that Death of the Celts is a weak song, that's one song from an entire album that is very long. Every other track is fantastic and I can't think of another Maiden album that can boast that level of consistency.

But does it stack up against Seventh Son as an overall package? This was the hardest thing to decide. Taken as separate components, this album is way stronger, but the strength of Seventh Son was its ambition, sophistication and the fact it was the culmination of their achievements in that era. Senjutsu is certainly ambitious, it's highly sophisticated and is undoubtedly the culmination of their achievements in this incarnation of the band. In that respect, it feels a lot like Seventh Son to me and my reaction on listening to the album has been very similar. It has all of the things that made Seventh Son such a towering achievement and it has done this while also having stronger individual songs that are more consistently delivered than any other album they've made. Individual songs on other albums obviously stand out and always will, but as an overall package, Senjutsu is simply a stunning achievement.

Could Senjutsu really be the best studio album they've ever made? It may be too early to say, but I think there's a strong case to be made that it is just that.

I still reserve the right to change my mind after more time, but for now, I stand by my assertion that Senjutsu is the best album they have ever made.

Interesting that you guys think “Hell on Earth” is a shoe-in. I personally wouldn’t bet on it, it seems almost too emotional for the band unless they’re gonna actually play the full album live. At first I thought “The Parchment” would be the one they skip, but now I think it’s built to be played live. The lyrics are massive but the vocals are low to give Bruce a break, PLUS all the instrumental sections as well — it feels crafted for the live shows. Additionally Nicko has raved about it so there’s that. My money is on the following songs:

— Senjutsu
— Stratego
— The Writing on the Wall
— Days of Future Past
— The Time Machine
— Death of the Celts
— The Parchment

“Darkest Hour” could also be in there but I feel it’s slightly less likely than the others here. Bruce has spoken about how excited he is to play “The Time Machine” live so I think they’ll do it.
I would replace death of the celts with hell on earth. There’s no way in hell they won’t play hell on earth. It’s literally become a fan favorite. And prolly they’d play lost in a lost world in place of the Parchment.

My 6 would have been Senjutsu, Stratego, Writing On The Wall, Days Of Future Past, The Darkest Hour, and Hell On Earth.

If Bruce has explicitly mentioned The Time Machine I'm going to have to revise that. The Darkest Hour feels the most likely of those 6 to go, which is a shame.
I think they’ll play max 2 Steve Harris epics out of the 4. But getting the feeling they might do this album in its entirety. There aren’t any super weak songs on this album so…

I can't believe I'm even thinking this, but I think there is a strong case that Senjutsu is the best album Maiden have ever released.

It's in deed too early and I do think there's a case here. I'm trying not to get too excited so but I see why this could be the best Maiden album ever. Songwriting ranges from good to perfect, the sound and performances are top notch, the lyrics are most of the times very deep & inspired and the artwork phenomenal.
The flow of the album is also phenomenal, you can listen again and again from start to end no problem, there are 10+ songs that feel like 4, I mean what else do you need?

Will those songs stand the test of time, like Prisoner, Hallowed, Powerslave, Rime, Brighter & Legacy did? We can't say for the next 3-5 years, but there's definitely a case.

I can't believe I'm even thinking this, but I think there is a strong case that Senjutsu is the best album Maiden have ever released. I started following the band in 1980 so I've been there for every album as it was released and this alone makes it tough for me because I have a strong emotional attachment to the eighties and its music. I am also certainly mindful that the fact it's a new album that I enjoy could be swaying my opinion. It's also true that after the last two albums, my expectations coming into this one were very low indeed so there may be an element of pleasant surprise affecting my view. It's also fair to say that with a band like Iron Maiden, the live performance of these songs could well affect my perception. It's also fair to say that this is not a quintessential Maiden album and I certainly wouldn't suggest anyone starts with this one. Despite all of this, I still think that this could be their strongest ever studio album.

I pondered long and hard before placing it at the top of my list, and I kept telling myself that it was ridiculous that this album could topple the likes of Seventh Son, Somewhere in Time, Powerslave or Number of the Beast. To me, these four albums represent the height of Maiden's achievements as a band. They are of the very highest quality and come from the band's golden era, however, I am also aware of the fact that I have a strong emotional attachment to these albums for various reasons, and this will also affect my perspective. As undoubtedly great as these albums are, they are not without weaknesses if we look at them closely.

Number of the Beast
Run to the Hills, The Number of the Beast and Hallowed Be Thy Name are all classics for a reason and have rightly stood the test of time. They would stand against anything on Senjutsu easily and even stand at the top of the pile, but what of the rest of the album? They're mostly good songs and I love listening to them, but they don't stand out as particularly special or ambitious. Gangland is actually pretty average. This is undoubtedly a strong album and it was a game changer for them, but its legendary status is largely built on three stupendous songs.

Powerslave
This has the strongest start to an album as you could wish for with Aces High followed by Two Minutes to Midnight. It also has an incredible end with Powerslave and Rime of the Ancient Mariner. Very little else that they've done can live with these songs. Back in the Village is also a great song that is often overlooked. The other three are good, but they don't stand out in the same way. For me, this is why it's a better album than Number of the Beast.

Somewhere in Time
I've always loved this album and in some respects I prefer it to Powerslave, but overall I don't think it's as strong. Caught Somewhere in Time, Wasted Years and Stranger in a Strange Land are superb and are three of the very best songs they've ever done. I rank this one lower because although the other songs are good, they don't stand out to me as great. I do like Heaven Can Wait, but the closing epic track is one of my least favourite of all their epics and the other songs are just OK. That's a strong album, and even a great album, but that can't make it the best.

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
This is a really unusual album and I find it almost impossible to rank objectively. How many classic tracks are on this album? How many of these tracks have they ever played live other than on the tour to support this album? The harsh reality is that very little stands out here on an individual basis. The Evil That Men Do has obviously stood the test of time, and rightly so. I would also pick the title track, not because of its anthemic nature, but because of its ambition. This was taking their songwriting to a whole new level. For me, this is an album that is far greater than the sum of its parts. Individual songs may not stand out, but as an entire album it is a stunning achievement and that's why I rank it so high. It was an album they had been building towards since Bruce joined and I really do see it as the pinnacle of achievement for that incarnation of the band.

Now let's see how Senjutsu stands up against these albums using the same criteria.

Senjutsu
Does it have the classic tracks of The Number of the Beast and Somewhere in Time? I think that it's too early to say if we're honest, and the sheer length of many of the songs means that many may not feature in the live set for long, but I think there's a strong case to be made that a number of the songs could be viewed as potential classics.

Does it have the strong opening and ending of Powerslave? Yes, absolutely! The more I listen to the title track, the more I like it and I think it could be a real barnstormer live, but the strength here is deeper. On Powerslave, after you pass the first two tracks, there is a definite dip. On Senjutsu, where is the dip? Every single song on that first disc is absolutely superb; it's just one incredible song after another. I'd say that The Writing on the Wall is the weakest track there, largely because it's the one where Bruce's voice is most strained, but even this is a great song and contains one of the best guitar solos I've ever heard. I can't think of another first disc or first side that is as consistently good as this. The songs are filled with melody, great solos, great riffs, they're full of light and shade and they show an ambition in construction that I've rarely seen before.

So, a great start, but does the ending stand up against Powerslave? You have three strong songs on the second side of Powerslave and two of them are stand-out tracks. It's tough to beat that, but I think Senjutsu makes a strong case for itself. As a closing epic, Hell on Earth is as good or better than anything they've done before, including Rime of the Ancient Mariner. I honestly can't think of a closing epic track that is clearly better and it has a sophistication that I'm not sure they have achieved before. Rime of the Ancient Mariner is close and I would also suggest that Paschendale is a spectacular achievement that is even better, but Hell on Earth seems to be on a par with that, or at least it's VERY close. Darkest Hour is another superb track that really stands out and although I think The Parchment is too long, the musical journey and the level of musicianship is excellent. That only leaves Death of the Celts. I would say that compared to The Clansman, it falls short, and I think it is the weakest song on the album. It's not a bad song by any means; we're certainly not talking 'Quest for Fire' here, but it is the weakest on the album. The thing is, even if we say that Death of the Celts is a weak song, that's one song from an entire album that is very long. Every other track is fantastic and I can't think of another Maiden album that can boast that level of consistency.

But does it stack up against Seventh Son as an overall package? This was the hardest thing to decide. Taken as separate components, this album is way stronger, but the strength of Seventh Son was its ambition, sophistication and the fact it was the culmination of their achievements in that era. Senjutsu is certainly ambitious, it's highly sophisticated and is undoubtedly the culmination of their achievements in this incarnation of the band. In that respect, it feels a lot like Seventh Son to me and my reaction on listening to the album has been very similar. It has all of the things that made Seventh Son such a towering achievement and it has done this while also having stronger individual songs that are more consistently delivered than any other album they've made. Individual songs on other albums obviously stand out and always will, but as an overall package, Senjutsu is simply a stunning achievement.

Could Senjutsu really be the best studio album they've ever made? It may be too early to say, but I think there's a strong case to be made that it is just that.

I still reserve the right to change my mind after more time, but for now, I stand by my assertion that Senjutsu is the best album they have ever made.
I think it's impossible to rank Senjutsu against previous albums 5 days after its release.

Yeah, we can compare things, but the album needs to sit for a while IMO. Then, we can look at things on the bigger scale.

I think it's impossible to rank Senjutsu against previous albums 5 days after its release.

Yeah, we can compare things, but the album needs to sit for a while IMO. Then, we can look at things on the bigger scale.
Agree i really loved TBOS when it came out but within a month it dropped down my rankings hard and now i only listen to a handful of songs from that album, however i loved Senjutsu more than that album straight away and i think i've listen to it more in the last week than i did TBOS that whole month and it's only grown on me more as times gone on, I'm not going to say this will be one of the greatest Maiden albums ever but my gut instinct is that this one has staying power

Agree i really loved TBOS when it came out but within a month it dropped down my rankings hard and now i only listen to a handful of songs from that album, however i loved Senjutsu more than that album straight away and i think i've listen to it more in the last week than i did TBOS that whole month and it's only grown on me more as times gone on, I'm not going to say this will be one of the greatest Maiden albums ever but my gut instinct is that this one has staying power
Possibly. But... IMO the only reunion album that truly stood the test of time and hasn't dropped at least a bit after the release in the rankings is AMLOAD.

@Severian Yet the first week's feeling is quite indicative where the album will sit imo. For TBOS I had given up already after 3 days, TFF was alright but feeling not so complete, definitely not in the likes of AMOLAD or BNW. Dance of Death, I was trying to find excuses to love it.

VXI I didn't bother much, TXF gave me headaches, etc.
After 9 first listening experiences (excluding this one) during the last 30 years, I do have some idea where the album will be in my rankings later on.

I fully agree with @matic22 that we need to give time (read years) in order for it to sit, but I can tell this is definite a Top 8 for me. Time will tell if it's a Top 5 or even 3.

This one is the closest to AMOLAD I can get.

Last edited:
Possibly. But... IMO the only reunion album that truly stood the test of time and hasn't dropped at least a bit after the release in the rankings is AMLOAD.
For me that album is the only one that went the opposite way, started fairly low then rose up significantly over the years

Perspective is everything. I liked AMOLAD when it came out, but I've always thought that BNW and DOD are better and that view has never changed. It's certainly better than TFF and TBOS. Until Senjutsu came along, I'd have said that DOD was the best reunion album but even that couldn't challenge the eighties classics.

Death of the Celts was my disappointment on the first listen almost a week ago. Honestly, it still isn't my favourite.

The intro seems like it can't pick which way to go, trying out different approaches, moods... but very haphazardly, IMHO.

The verse has good (Celtic, ha!) rhythmic feel, but isn't very memorable. It takes almost 4 minutes to get somewhere and I still don't like the destination.

However, the instrumental part (which is probably the main feat, let's be honest), does feel great and epic. So, it's like another TRATB for me (or even another SSOASS, for that matter) - a so so sung part, that's (in this case almost) redeemed by a stellar, passionate instrumental section.

Still, if this one hasn't been here, it could have comfortably fit a single CD, couldn't it?
I really enjoyed NPFTD influences in second half of instrumental part.

Back