Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

I'm getting kind of sick of the Powerslave 2.0 people. They make it a point to scope out Maiden's YouTube channel just to comment on how the drums on Stratego aren't the same as the Trooper and that it's a "sad ending" to a band they haven't cared about since Seventh Son. I try to ignore them but I get really fed up with this idea Maiden isn't allowed to expand while trying to retain their identity.

I'm also sick of these Judas Priest fanboy pricks who feel the need to compare Maiden to Priest every single time Maiden is mentioned. Someone on the channel actually said Priest is still putting out "searing hot heavy metal" while Maiden dicks around with slower songs like TWOTW. Gee, I'm so distraught that my favorite band has members with a diverse interest in what they want to bring to the table instead of pumping out generic thrash album #1,213,909.

Sorry. I figured if there was place to vent about this kind of thing it would be here.

I'm getting kind of sick of the Powerslave 2.0 people. They make it a point to scope out Maiden's YouTube channel just to comment on how the drums on Stratego aren't the same as the Trooper and that it's a "sad ending" to a band they haven't cared about since Seventh Son. I try to ignore them but I get really fed up with this idea Maiden isn't allowed to expand while trying to retain their identity.

I'm also sick of these Judas Priest fanboy pricks who feel the need to compare Maiden to Priest every single time Maiden is mentioned. Someone on the channel actually said Priest is still putting out "searing hot heavy metal" while Maiden dicks around with slower songs like TWOTW. Gee, I'm so distraught that my favorite band has members with a diverse interest in what they want to bring to the table instead of pumping out generic thrash album #1,213,909.

Sorry. I figured if there was place to vent about this kind of thing it would be here.
I'm sure if Maiden replaced 2/3rds of the band with younger members and hired a modern metal producer they'd possibly produce "searing hot heavy metal" like Priest do. But it wouldn't be Maiden wouldn't it? Just like how Firepower, good as it is, sounds more like a Ritchie Faulkner solo album with Halford vocals than a Priest album.

Those obsessed with wanting Maiden to sound "modern" really mean that they want Maiden to sound like an Andy Sneap production. It'd probably sound nice but it wouldn't sound like Maiden.

Priest make “searing hot metal” because they get lambasted whenever they try something new and they don’t have the balls to keep pushing themselves. That’s why I love Maiden. Even if I don’t agree with a choice they make, I always agree with their right to make it.

I don't disagree, but you are one hell of a sadist to be diving into YouTube comments sections.

Priest make “searing hot metal” because they get lambasted whenever they try something new and they don’t have the balls to keep pushing themselves. That’s why I love Maiden. Even if I don’t agree with a choice they make, I always agree with their right to make it.
I love Priest. They are my second favorite all time behind Maiden. What makes Maiden a lot more interesting to me is their music is so varied and the songs have a variety of subjects while priest have sung about “screaming heavy metal” for 40 years. And that’s fine. I just prefer Maiden.

From the track by track superfan review I realized one thing guys:

We already really really like Stratego and this is what he said about Days of Future Past!!!

"The Verdict:
At this point, we’ve reached what is the strongest song yet (and not just because it’s a short one), as Senjutsu begins its fast-rising upward arc.
"

We are in for an absolutely incredible song if its even better than Stratego. I can't even imagine this scenario. So hyped!!!!

“screaming heavy metal” for 40 years. And that’s fine. I just prefer Maiden.
Hahaha.. so true. There is no musical evolution from the 80s. Priest is what would have happened to Maiden if they had listened to the Powerslave 2 fans on this board.

@Jadukor yeah, I read the Superfans review again this morning and his description of Stratego is pretty aligned with my own impressions, especially the imagery of the cloaked rider. So the fact his entire review is positive bodes well for a classic album (if our impressions align throughout).

This has a dark, cloaked rider kind of feel (ironically, this visual dominated the video for “The Writing on the Wall”). There’s no mistaking it — this is a Gers co-write, evidenced by him playing the vocal melody on guitar underneath Bruce. There’s some sort of vocal effect here and, actually, it works quite well with Janick’s lead tone.

I love the chorus teaser — the concussive blasts have you convinced Bruce’s voice is gonna spread its wings… but it’s cut off quick and back to the gallop we go for another couple rounds and some drawn out chords and, finally, that big chorus payoff

Read More: Iron Maiden's 'Senjutsu' - A Superfan's Track-by-Track Review | https://loudwire.com/iron-maiden-se...eview/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

@Jadukor yeah, I read the Superfans review again this morning and his description of Stratego is pretty aligned with my own impressions, especially the imagery of the cloaked rider. So the fact his entire review is positive bodes well for a classic album (if our impressions align throughout).
Yeah.. that review is spot on so far!

I’m never scared or apprehensive about a new Iron Maiden album. They always deliver and are always on point. My excitement is never about “will it be good?” Rather “I wonder how they’re gonna blow my mind this time?”
That’s exactly how I feel.

As far as all the classic metal/hard rock bands go who still release music, they all get fans who complain just like Maiden.

You're not going to get any arguments from me. The same people who complain about that stuff totally ignore the throwback songs they do get, and say they aren't good either. Like Death or Glory, which was a very strong song in the short, rocker vein - but it still wasn't good enough.

If you're this person, I give you permission to not buy Senjutsu. You can, in fact, take all your post-Seventh Son albums and lock them up, or give them away, and just listen to the music you like! You can even talk about that music here. You can say things like, "I just don't love modern Maiden" and talk about how happy, I don't fucking know, Quest For Fire or something makes you. But like...just let people be happy, too.

After reading all the reviews below is my prediction of all the songs from most favorite to least. Just wanted to put this out there so that i can come back is revisit once the album is out.

1. Hell on earth
2. The Time Machine
3. Days of Future Past
4. Stratego
5. Death of the Celts
6. Senjutsu
7. Darkest Hour
8. The Writing on the Wall
9. Lost in a lost world
10. The Parchment

Back