Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

I'd go through Stratego first. Spot-if-I (did you see what I did there?) can see a difference in the mix.

Last edited:
Man, what happened to the good old days of actually doing to the record store and being excited to get home (no way was your mom going to let that crap play in the car). These days everybody wants to click a few buttons and get it for free. smh.
Oh sure. The good old days of cassette players and rotary phones... How fun it was to spin that wheel instead of hurting your fingers by clicking a button! Lol

S
Man, what happened to the good old days of actually doing to the record store and being excited to get home (no way was your mom going to let that crap play in the car). These days everybody wants to click a few buttons and get it for free. smh.
So true man. Where I live CDs and vinyls barely exist. No matter what nothing will ever beat that joy of going to a record store on the day of release and buying the album. God I miss those days. And now I gotta pre order from a couple of thousand miles away and not enjoy the September 3rd hype. Sucks big time.

S
Here is my planned listening order. It breaks up the big epics but also begins and ends with the right songs.

1. Senjutsu (Smith/Harris) 8:20
4. Lost In A Lost World (Harris) 9:31
5. Days Of Future Past (Smith/Dickinson) 4:03
8. Death Of The Celts (Harris) 10:20
6. The Time Machine (Gers/Harris) 7:09
9. The Parchment (Harris) 12:39
7. Darkest Hour (Smith/Dickinson) 7:20
10. Hell On Earth (Harris) 11:19
Seems like you’ve already heard the 2 singles a couple of 100 times at least. :p

Have ordered the album on three formats so far. Deluxe box set, CD Book and silver/black marble vinyl.
Will order the other two vinyls at some point.
Will listen to the album from start to finish with no skipping on first listen.
Going to take a break from WOTW and Stratego a few days before album lands.
Should be epic

This is the last of the 4 reviews.

Reviewer 1, Metal Hammer Germany

The fomalities right away: SENJUTSU contains 10 songs, the shortest is exactly 5 minutes long, the longest scratches the 13-minute mark. The more than 80-minute-long album is opened by the title song, which ponderously takes us on a journey, during which the band shows that they can still do many things better than the often younger competition. First and foremost, Dickenson's vocals, which are doubled in places, still shine in terms of quality and expression. Many of the songs often present themselves restrained, sometimes progressive, but this does not affect the density of content. Slightly confusing sound the occasionally used keyboards, which give the songs a minimal soundtrack character. It takes many listens to begin to understand the 17th album in its entirety, let alone perceive all the typical features of Maiden, which are definitely audible. The last 3 songs alone, which are all beyond 10 minutes long, are so multi-layered that I could write a separate review about each one. Conclusion: my fear of getting a mediocre album that works exclusively with quotes from the last three albums has not been confirmed. Still: It takes work to get into SENJUTSU, but then it is a real listening pleasure, which is not to be expected from many bands in 2021. Respect!
More use of keyboards, Bruce's vocals are doubled in places (sounds epic in ''Stratego'') - glad to hear that.

Doubled/Layered vocals will save/elevate this album. :D (And great melodies)
Proper production choices is ALL.
If any of You have read comments on YT, there's a lot of people, saying that Stratego is great, but mix is bad. I'm waiting for album to decide myself.

Last edited:
The strength of the 1st two released songs already puts it on par with any of the best Book of Souls and TFF Songs. Keeping in mind Maiden would never release their best stuff prior to the release of the album, I think Senjutsu will easily surpass BOS and TFF and most likely be on par with BNW.

I'm not going to replay the singles along with the full album after I've heard them so many times. By then, I'll be really burnt out on them.
That's why I'm trying not to listen to the singles too much. Usually, (with every band) I listen to the singles all the time and by the time the album comes I end up skipping them. Don't want that to happen with Maiden. I've listened to both a bunch of times, but I'm basically limiting myself. The first run through the album for me will be the default order from start to finish.

The strength of the 1st two released songs already puts it on par with any of the best Book of Souls and TFF Songs. Keeping in mind Maiden would never release their best stuff prior to the release of the album, I think Senjutsu will easily surpass BOS and TFF and most likely be on par with BNW.
And I love that about them. You always know that their single is not the strongest song on the album which is better than others who choose best song from the album and rest is pure garbage.

And I love that about them. You always know that their single is not the strongest song on the album which is better than others who choose best song from the album and rest is pure garbage.
But this makes casual listeners to skip albums. "oh I heard new maiden single, gonna skip this album too" I saw lots of tweet like that. Most people don't know maiden singles are not on par with other songs in the albums.

Still has amolad to go through while I do think it will surpass Dance of death. Amolad n Bnw are Crown jewels of the reunion era.

Last edited:
Reactions: jcv
Back