Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

The cover certainly makes an impression. Love the new band name logo - the bevel is a not touch...although that's a band logo that definitely doesn't need improvement to begin with. Eddie looks pretty scary there. Don't like the abundance of fangs but otherwise it's pretty bold. This looks more like a Trivium cover but overall no complaints. It's bold and it definitely doesn't *feel* like a final album in tone, does it?

Reactions: jcv
What a bullshit. Dave had no songs on Beast, Powerslave. He had more than one on various other records, and now he slowly gets closer to his average output.
He has written at least one song on every album they have done as a six-piece. I suppose Steve looked back at The Man of Sorrows at decided enough was enough.

It’s very likely they all presented their material in the writing room and Dave either didn’t have much to show, or they weren’t enthused with his work in the same way that Bruce’s proposed material didn’t make SiT. But he was never a prolific song writer in the band so I’m not sure he’d be missed nearly as much as the other four writers.

I feel like I do with each new Maiden LP… same excitement I felt back in high school, when my friends & I drove over to the record store to pick up the Number of the Beast. I’m glad to still be around in 2021, and being excited for a new IM album. Up The Irons!

a thought just crossed my mind...if this album was recorded in early 2019...and bruce said during the nights of the dead promotion that hes working with steve a little bit in the studio...that was late 2020 right?
I was thinking about this. Did Bruce say he was working in the studio with Steve or did he say that he was just working in general with Steve? If it’s the latter, I bet he was referring to the music video.

They sat on this album for such a long time, I wonder if they did any additional work post recording or if what we get is whatever they finished back in 2019.

6 old British dudes releasing an album co-opting Japanese culture this heavily feels rather odd.
The thing with co-opting culture or cultural appropriation etc being a problem is that it's a question of power - when a rich powerful culture takes from or profits off a smaller or endangered culture that causes people to kick off.

But Japan is secure enough in itself that I can't see this being an issue here. It would be like if a band in Japan made an album about British medieval Knights and castles and Merlin and whatnot - no-one in Britain would be remotely bothered

My thoughts on this:
- The release date is very close= HYPE!!!
-A Japanese theme? That's super cool, honestly even better than what I was hoping for.
-Album cover and Eddie both look cool. Having the Japanese kanji characters on the cover is a really nice touch.
-Another very long album=more epicness and a more rewarding listening experience. I'm very pleased with the number of Harris credits here.
-Interesting song titles as always.
-I'll definitely get one of those ultra super hyper dumbo magma extra mega vibra deluxe versions.

I was thinking about this. Did Bruce say he was working in the studio with Steve or did he say that he was just working in general with Steve? If it’s the latter, I bet he was referring to the music video.

They sat on this album for such a long time, I wonder if they did any additional work post recording or if what we get is whatever they finished back in 2019.
If I remember correctly, he said he was "talking to Steve". Maybe he was talking about the live album.

I love the new logo! The new artwork is a bit too similar to BOS but it's still cool.

Anyone knows what happened to Belshazzar's feast and The Tower of Babel?
There's a fan club only exclusive t shirt for it, with WOTW on the back, so I assume it was all just for the single.

Have you seen the CGI crap he's been up to for the past 10-15 years?

No thank you.

I think you miss Derek Riggs from the 1980s. Not Derek Riggs from 2021.
No I havent
The artwork he did for flight 666 was nice tho
14Fright666.jpg

I am...not in love with the name or the aesthetic. 6 old British dudes releasing an album co-opting Japanese culture this heavily feels rather odd. I really feel like there was a better album title available (even if it's just one of the other song titles). Writing On The Wall would've been better. I don't know. Something feels weird about it. I'm willing to dive in because it's Maiden and I'm pumped, but I think a giant stage set of Japanese architecture is gonna be strange.

I hear you, but I don't think this is a particularly problematic case. Maiden have a very long relationship with Japan and I think Japanese fans will appreciate it.
I agree it's a highly unusual album title and album concept for Maiden, though. And I like that. They're still taking chances this late in their career.

I wonder if all the Tower of Babel and Belshazzars Feast was a Bruce thing- maybe he didn’t have a ton of say with the direction of the album but had this ‘thing’ he’s interested in and used the PR to the release of e single as an outlet for it?

Otherwise, I’m not sure what to think. I think going full historical would have been neat.

still excited! I hope it’s a bit more lively than BoS- the single is off to a good start tho.

That would mean Maiden have been more busy recording than they have since the 90's. I would like to think so, but I doubt it.

Maiden is also handling the subject material with knowledge and respect. They clearly researched the symbology and they aren’t playing into any racial stereotypes. I think it’s probably fine.

Back