Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

How do you know that? Is there a recording diary he published?
From Kevin's diary - in both songs (''Darkest Hour'' and ''The Writing On The Wall'') it was noted that Janick will have a solo, but you can see the word ''out'' above. I guess they decided to replace his solos with guitar licks during the choruses at the end of the songs.

You can also see from the picture that initially ''The Time Machine'' was without a solo from Adrian... his proggy solo is really short - the solo fits the song perfectly. It would have been only the second song since the reunion (after ''Brave New World'') with solos from Janick and Dave, but not from Adrian.

-> it seems ''The Writing On The Wall'' and ''The Time Machine'' were the last songs recorded for the album (the first were Steve's last 3 epics).

From Kevin's diary - in both songs (''Darkest Hour'' and ''The Writing On The Wall'') it was noted that Janick will have a solo, but you can see the word ''out'' above. I guess they decided to replace his solos with guitar licks during the choruses at the end of the songs.
I think you're reading too much into it, "out" almost certainly is just shorthand for "outro" as in outro solo since that what his solos functionally are - they play during the final chorus of both songs and there's no proper outro on either song, unlike say, Janick or Steve's tracks.

Just reading a lot in the whole chart in general, I wouldn't be surprised if that chart is no more than a check list for recording guitar various bits and pieces and might have no more meaning than that, e.g. he accidentally wrote the Parchment twice so it can't be that important!

Just reading a lot in the whole chart in general, I wouldn't be surprised if that chart is no more than a check list for recording guitar various bits and pieces and might have no more meaning than that, e.g. he accidentally wrote the Parchment twice so it can't be that important!

That is because the song is so bloody long!

I think the highs on TBOS are higher than the highs on Senjutsu and that is why I probably rank the former higher than the current album.
Senjutsu is a better album than TBOS imo (I like the whole album, while in the latter I don't like at least one song so much... and the highs on the former are higher than the highs on the latter) - I rank it as my 2nd favorite album from the reunion era.

Senjutsu is a better album than TBOS imo (I like the whole album, while in the latter I don't like at least one song so much... and the highs on the former are higher than the highs on the latter) - I rank it as my 2nd favorite album from the reunion era.

We’ll have to agree to disagree then.

Senjutsu is my favorite reunion album. Not new album hype, either.

I’m leaning in this direction as well, though it’s a close race between Senjutsu and TBOS for second place in the reunion era behind AMOLAD, IMO. I want to get a little more play time and distance before I get specific about rating the new album, though.

I'd rank Senjutsu around the middle. I like BNW and AMOLAD more, but Senjutsu is ahead of both DoD and TBOS. TFF and Senjutsu are right in the middle. I can't quite make out which out of those two I prefer. I've developed a new appreciation for TFF, as recently as the last month or so.

I’ve long considered BNW and TBOS to be Top 5 Maiden albums, and I don’t think that changes with Senjutsu. But it 100% stands on their level, all three of those albums are incredibly consistent and top DOD, AMOLAD, and TFF (more inconsistent with some duds) for me.

Senjutsu is easily number two behind Brave New World imo. Its the most cohesive and allaround stronger then the other albums. No week tracks, great production and everything is just great. From the songs, to the vocals to how the songs work together. I find it mature and bold, powerful and full of emotion. It has more to offer then Book of Souls, AMOLAD or Dance of Death and the rest.

For me, the album currently ranks at the bottom of the reunion albums. Apart from Hell on Earth, TWOTW, Stratego and The Parchment, I find the album unmemorable. There are not that many songs that keep making me want to come back to the album. I hope this changes over time. To be honest, songs from BOS didn’t click until I saw them live.

Back