Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

Indeed!
And not only does opinion vary incredibly from person to person. But the same person changes their tastes over time.
A lot of records I used to despise these days are my favorites! Or even entire careers! Like Dream Theater (for me)
That is the greatness of Maiden. That is why in the same maiden concert i see people that could be my dad's age or my young nephew.

Let's check Harris solo tracks from BNW to TBOS:
Blood Brothers - end as begin
No More Lies - same
FTGGOG - same
When the Wild Wind Blows - same
The Red and the Black - same
:D
To Tame A Land is the first time he did that. The Trooper also ends with the intro riff, but I don't it's quite the same.

Although the single is stylistically a side thing even for Maiden, it does have some guitar texturing on the chorus with that reminds me of sounds on the Chemical Wedding. The reviewers said two songs are reminescent of AoB/TCW, but I get the feeling they speak about the voice and delivery, not about the general music style. I mean if song is reminiscent of calm verses of Omega or Gates of Urizen, or like Arc of Space, it's not really what makes AoB/TCW isn't it?

On the other hand Dickinson/Smith composition might be a real thing in that direction. They didn't write like that for quite some time, last traces of that uber metal are on BNW (Fallen Angel). Someone then mentioned Malmsteen. I don't think Maiden will pull Yngwie, but it could be similarity in the flavour of the scales used, which again evokes my wishful thinking and takes me back to the Killing Floor, or just the type of minor scales Roy Z used in composition and in harmonization of both guitars and the voice (Book of Thel chant interlude). Bruce did sound more "neoclassical" than Maiden in late 90s.

I'm confident that one of the 'quirks' we get to hear on this album is a prolonged Floydesque instrumental part akin to The Man of Sorrows ending, especially because Murray does not have the writing credit. I believe Harris could make an arrangement where Dave will do his thing 100%.

After 6 years I feel like Book of Souls is nothing special, which kind of goes to 'good' territory considering its length. There is a lot of plodding along on the record, and the shorter punchier songs aren't really that memorable.

There's far, far more songs that just end after the final chorus, people work themselves up into a lather over absolute fucking minutiae.
Having that structure is one thing, having almost all of the songs one after the other with the same structure on an album is another. The latter affects the flow of the album, this is where the producer might jump in to tell a musician like Steve: "Hello, that's too much, let's cut it." We all know this won't ever happen so everyone should accept it by now.

Harris ends 99% of his songs with a repeating motif from the song's structure. I wonder if this annoying bitching about it, from the past 20 years, was sparkled by some stupid 'modern' journalists, 'cos before the internet, I never heard any complaint about it.

Not all he does is perfect, but, this talking is so boring.

Harris ends 99% of his songs with a repeating motif from the song's structure. I wonder if this annoying bitching about it, from the past 20 years, was sparkled by some stupid 'modern' journalists, 'cos before the internet, I never heard any complaint about it.

Not all he does is perfect, but, this talking is so boring.
I remember it started with the X Factor, that was a huge shock at the time.

Steve has been writing music in the same style his whole career. His modern epic style dates back to the 90s. We’re almost 30 years removed from The X Factor. I understand not liking these quirks, but I also don’t really understand why people are shocked when nothing changes.

Steve has been writing music in the same style his whole career. His modern epic style dates back to the 90s. We’re almost 30 years removed from The X Factor. I understand not liking these quirks, but I also don’t really understand why people are shocked when nothing changes.

Or exaggerate it, there's more on AMOLAD than the last two albums.

Is there any difference between Steve using same structure song after song and fans bitching about same things album after album?

That's circle of life.

Back