Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

I went, there was no new info. Senjutsu wasn't even mentioned. The audience-questions second half seemed a bit suss, unless that theatre-full of folk in Maiden shirts really were keen at to ask questions that lead nicely into aviation anecdotes.

Still, it was great to see him looking well. They played a version of TWOTW video just before the break, which had more prominent sound effects, and it was great to see it on a big screen loud as all hell. He sang bits of Jerusalem and Revelations at the end. He spoke about wanting to play Alexander the Great without committing to doing so. Lots of Nicko impersonations.

I hadn't realised that Rod lived in Brighton though, so that was cool to know.
Nice one man. Cheers for that. Good to hear he's looking well and sounding good too. He's gonna have to give up some Jutsu goods at one of his shows though impatient like a kid here. Thanks

I went, there was no new info. Senjutsu wasn't even mentioned. The audience-questions second half seemed a bit suss, unless that theatre-full of folk in Maiden shirts really were keen at to ask questions that lead nicely into aviation anecdotes.

Still, it was great to see him looking well. They played a version of TWOTW video just before the break, which had more prominent sound effects, and it was great to see it on a big screen loud as all hell. He sang bits of Jerusalem and Revelations at the end. He spoke about wanting to play Alexander the Great without committing to doing so. Lots of Nicko impersonations.

I hadn't realised that Rod lived in Brighton though, so that was cool to know.
Sure wish Bruce could have done his show in the US

Not a single question on Senjutsu? What a bummer. Who are these people! :-/
Well, it also confuses me - when I was at his show in Russian St.Petersburg back in March 2020 most of the questions was about aviation. Only my question was about his hopefully-upcoming-someday new solo album (is he still working with Roy Z) and maybe couple of other quesions about singing during which he sang bits of Trumpets Of Jericho. He answered my question just like "Yes, I do", but all the answers on avia-questions was quite long so it looked like nowadays he has no that big interest in music( And I was really confused - why anybody asking about planes and so on? Where's all the IM or his solo career fans? Most of us know and love him for music, not aviation. But I was really happy to hear him sing first verse and chorus of Tears Of The Dragon at the end and also got a book with his sign as a present) Good times, it was my last pre-covid show.

you're right, it is based on taste. I just find it odd that the last 20+ years has been hit or miss for me. Every album has great tracks.... Overall is a different story. I think NOTB is a so so album with very strong songs where I feel POM is better overall but still acknowledge NOTB has better songs... That's my position. I didn't like the release songs from Book of Souls so hopefully the album will surprise me as that one did. I'm excited regardless.... happy they are still making music and going forward.
I know, for me for example pattern is 1 to 2 - one so so album and two great ones :)

To me, the only one album not coherent overall is TBOS. 2 masterpiece tracks (title-track, IESF), 2 great songs (EOTC, DOG) a good song as for the verses and bridges and a masterpiece for the instrumental section (TRATB.), a good song (TOAC). The rest, to me, are 5 average/under-Maiden-standards tracks.

DOD, then, may be my second least favourite album overall, from the 5 efforts after-1999. But its fillerish tracks are FAR, FAR better than TBOS' ones. So, to me, overall quality-wise, is basically TFF-BNW-AMOLAD on the same level, then DOD, and then TBOS. If we're talking about how strong overall I think the album is.

To me, the only one album not coherent overall is TBOS. 2 masterpiece tracks (title-track, IESF), 2 great songs (EOTC, DOG) a good song as for the verses and bridges and a masterpiece for the instrumental section (TRATB.), a good song (TOAC). The rest, to me, are 5 average/under-Maiden-standards tracks.

DOD, then, may be my second least favourite album overall, from the 5 efforts after-1999. But its fillerish tracks are FAR, FAR better than TBOS' ones. So, to me, overall quality-wise, is basically TFF-BNW-AMOLAD on the same level, then DOD, and then TBOS. If we're talking about how strong overall I think the album is.
DOG is quite shitty song imo. But agreed on other songs. Maybe also TGU not that bad.

DOG is quite shitty song imo. But agreed on other songs. Maybe also TGU not that bad.

DOG might end in the good songs section, at the worst. It's not a masterpiece, but imho it has stood the test of time. It doesn't lack energy and power. I think TGU, TMOS, SOL, SOTV and WTRRD are quite forgettable. Between these 5, I think TMOS is definitely the less consistent, with TGU as a close second.

DOG is better live. They add a harmony to the intro and then H does his thing on the bridge. But it is too generic. Ok song none-the-less.

Last edited:
DOG is better live. they add a harmony in the intro and then H does his thing on the chorus.

While it's kinda great that so many modern Maiden songs really shine and work better live, this is also just another detail to indicate that the studio versions are often... if not half-assed per se, not quite as fleshed out and perfected as they could be.

I think TBOS in particular shines on that department... While I've often praised the enthusiastic and more intense vibe of it when compared to good, but somewhat dry and clinical vibe of TFF, there's definitely a lot of stuff that just seems a tad bit to demo-ish. Death or Glory, while relatively catchy and good rocker, definitely could've been improved by the mentioned small details. The Great Unknow is an interesting song, but arguably should've been like half a step lower or something to give Bruce some more room and make it a bit more dynamic overall. The Man of Sorrows has some interesting stuff going on, but it's a song that screams for careful studio treatment and a couple of more takes. I'd say that it's definitely the song their style of recording hurt the most. I'm not saying it'd suddenly get significantly better with more careful recording and production process, but I'm merely saying there might be a bit more to it than what we got.

Oh well... if. There might be. Should have... would have. Could have been.
Easy words to say.

Tears of a Clown, however, I really like. I think it's quite "tight" performance, solos are among the most thought-of in the album and overall, it sounds rather dynamic in my opinion. I'm very fond of that song. I think the chorus is one of the better ones from the "modern era." That one, too, woud've benefited from a bit more careful studio treatment, but oh well...

While it's kinda great that so many modern Maiden songs really shine and work better live, this is also just another detail to indicate that the studio versions are often... if not half-assed per se, not quite as fleshed out and perfected as they could be.

I think TBOS in particular shines on that department... While I've often praised the enthusiastic and more intense vibe of it when compared to good, but somewhat dry and clinical vibe of TFF, there's definitely a lot of stuff that just seems a tad bit to demo-ish. Death or Glory, while relatively catchy and good rocker, definitely could've been improved by the mentioned small details. The Great Unknow is an interesting song, but arguably should've been like half a step lower or something to give Bruce some more room and make it a bit more dynamic overall. The Man of Sorrows has some interesting stuff going on, but it's a song that screams for careful studio treatment and a couple of more takes. I'd say that it's definitely the song their style of recording hurt the most. I'm not saying it'd suddenly get significantly better with more careful recording and production process, but I'm merely saying there might be a bit more to it than what we got.

Oh well... if. There might be. Should have... would have. Could have been. Easy words to say.

Tears of a Clown, however, I really like. I think it's quite "tight" performance, solos are among the most thought-of in the album and overall, it sounds rather dynamic in my opinion. I'm very fond of that song. I think the chorus is one of the better ones from the "modern era." That one, too, woud've benefited from a bit more careful studio treatment, but oh well...
I agree for the most part. Funilly enough, while they perform the songs live in the studio for a live vibe...the end result is for the most part too slow. In the live performances they pick up the speed but they lack the detailing that can be done in the studio.
A prime exapmle is IESF. The live version is so much fresher and punchy (IMO this is the right speed for the song) however I think that - from what I've heard in the live version- not all the guitar lines and accents are performed. Then H alters what he does beneath the last choruses...and ends up providing a so and so solo (compared to the studio version)The end studio result would have been ok if there was some punch to it. However I do not think that in some cases Kevin is able to determine which takes and speeds work for the songs. Oh, well. It is what it is.

Last edited:
Well, it also confuses me - when I was at his show in Russian St.Petersburg back in March 2020 most of the questions was about aviation. Only my question was about his hopefully-upcoming-someday new solo album (is he still working with Roy Z) and maybe couple of other quesions about singing during which he sang bits of Trumpets Of Jericho. He answered my question just like "Yes, I do", but all the answers on avia-questions was quite long so it looked like nowadays he has no that big interest in music( And I was really confused - why anybody asking about planes and so on? Where's all the IM or his solo career fans? Most of us know and love him for music, not aviation. But I was really happy to hear him sing first verse and chorus of Tears Of The Dragon at the end and also got a book with his sign as a present) Good times, it was my last pre-covid show.

You realise that asking him about specific music commitments is not part of the show concept, and he may have the one or other contractual obligation to not talk about something that's still in the works?

You realise that asking him about specific music commitments is not part of the show concept, and he may have the one or other contractual obligation to not talk about something that's still in the works?
Who knows? But I can't believe that anybody is so interested in aviation)

Back