Sea of Madness

How good is Sea of Madness on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters

What a cool, underrated song. The serpentine main riff is great, Bruce's vocal performance is outstanding, and I absolutely love the solo in the quieter part of the bridge.

Bruce's gets really emotive in that bridge, with the falsetto and a couple bluesy runs, and I love it.

While I have over listened both Powerslave and Seventh son, Somewhere In Time have for more hide itself in the darkness, but I don't understand why, as the songs are so good. This is my third 8 in a row.

There is so much emotion in this song, and the songwriting seems so much more mature then many of the "fillers" on for an example Powerslave (Flash, Duellists, Village). Great riffs, great arrangement, Bruce singing great on this one, and I can overall really feel the song!

8/10

9/10.

Only one thing is between it and a 10 - the rather abrubt change from the middle section back to the main riff. Otherwise - excellent vocals, one of the coolest solos and middle sections (that bassline!) in Maiden history makes it one of those very underrated gems in their catalogue.

I love this song, especially the midsection. It's not a 9 though.

Rankings:

Previous Albums:

Iron Maiden - 6.67

8 - Prowler
6 - Sanctuary
7 - Remember Tomorrow
6 - Running Free
9 - Phantom Of The Opera
7 - Transylvania
4 - Strange World
6 - Charlotte The Harlot
7 - Iron Maiden

Killers - 5.91

6 - The Ides Of March
6 - Wrathchild
6 - Murders In The Rue Morgue
5 - Another Life
5 - Genghis Khan
5 - Innocent Exile
8 - Killers
5 - Prodigal Son
8 - Purgatory
6 - Twilight Zone
5 - Drifter

The Number Of The Beast - 7.56

6 - Invaders
7 - Children Of The Damned
8 - The Prisoner
7 - 22 Acacia Avenue
9 - The Number Of The Beast
10 - Run To The Hills
6 - Gangland
5 - Total Eclipse
10 - Hallowed Be Thy Name

Piece Of Mind - 7.44

8 - Where Eagles Dare
9 - Revelations
9 - Flight Of Icarus
7 - Die With Your Boots On
8 - The Trooper
7 - Still Life
6 - Quest For Fire
6 - Sun And Steel
7 - To Tame A Land

Powerslave - 6.75

8 - Aces High
7 - 2 Minutes To Midnight
3 - Loss Fer Words
7 - Flash Of The Blade
5 - The Duellists
6 - Back In The Village
9 - Powerslave
9 - Rime Of The Ancient Mariner

Somewhere In Time

8 - Caught Somewhere In Time
9 - Wasted Years
8 - Sea Of Madness

I've always felt this was one of the weaker tracks on the album. But on a strong album, that still gives it a
7/10

8/10

Sea of Madness is another H tune. It’s a bit murkier and darker than Wasted Years, especially lyrically. The verses seem a bit hastily thrown together, with some of the rhythm getting lost in Nicko’s scattershot drumbeat, but the chorus is stellar. A quiet bridge complete with Bruce singing some angelic “ooh’s” and “ahh’s” while the guitars shine through to compliment the vocals. It’s a very good song, but a strange piece of music for Maiden.

One of the trickiest Maiden riffs to start off with a tune that's pretty atypical in general. I always liked Bruce's vocal performance on this, the melodies are written for a more limited range (probably because H wrote the whole song) so Bruce doesn't really have to worry about straining here. The driving rhythm in the chorus really creates a unique tension that builds really well into the instrumental section. I also like how Adrian's solo comes right out of the twin melody preceding it, another trick that Maiden had never really done before. Great buildup with the soft section too.

I wasn't going to give this song a 10 initially, but listening to it I really can't find anything to complain about. One of the many hidden gems for Maiden.

That intro is absolutely incredible. Ferocious work from Nicko and Steve. I love the fierce main riff too and the aggressive bass line. The chorus is a bit ponderous though as it seems to tame the power of the song and it doesn't seem to fit.

One of the greatest examples of bass lines.... The song is heavy and then leads to an amazing harmonic solo followed by one of the most brilliant pieces of music in the mid section. Beautiful composition. 10 from me

Very strong song, fantastic songwriting from H. Kicks off full power and never quite lets up. I particularly like Steve's bass here; it sounds awesome in the mix and blends together with the rest of the instruments very well. A little inconsistent, though. The breakdown after the solo feels awkward and out of place, despite never losing the song's energy. 8.

Another great song from Adrian. A much more emotional song than usual, and it fits very well, together with the riff and everything else. 9/10

Bruce seems to treat the third line in each of the verses like it's a joke, but the rest of the song more than makes up for it. Beautiful in many ways, heavy in others. It's fallen in my list but it's still some fine music. 10/10.

Back