Saxon

Love Sacrifice.
They skipped it when I saw them recently (even though they are playing it on other dates).
I have seen them play it before.

That’s awesome. I saw a clip of them playing it in Scotland from this year and they, especially Biff, sound really good this go around! On their headlining shows, I’ve been surprised at how many songs they’ve been playing. Their set lists from this year have been pretty varied and it’s cool they’ve been changing it up so much.

Sometimes with bands that have been touring for 45+ years, you see them go into what I call “legacy” mode where it’s just the same setlist every night and the band is just going through the motions - this is not Saxon. I would like to see them revisit some stuff from Into the Labyrinth, The Inner Sanctum or Forever Free though. But, if they were to throw a bone to every fan of every album, they’d be playing 4 hour sets every night lol

They played in Atlanta in April and I almost went to it but I wasn’t able to make it. I’m really hoping I can see them soon! 10 odd years ago when I first got into Saxon, I didn’t really envision them still playing at a high level now. But when they come back to America I would love to see them!

Problem with the show I just saw was they only played songs from 6 of 24 lps!

Back in 2014 they played songs from 17 of 20 lps (better spread of discography)

In 2004 almost played 1 from each lp (15 of 16 lps).

1990 was last time they played at least 1 song from each lp.

They get better with age, but I don't think some of their new albums are better (as a whole piece) than some albums from the 80's and even the 90's. Although somehow the quality of the songs is much higher now.
Sorry for the 2+ year old quote, but this is a sentiment I agree with. I’m about 8 albums in to my Saxon deep dive (choosing albums at random more or less) and it is interesting that in recent years they are guaranteed to be 2 to 3 absolute masterclasses on each new Saxon album, but the rest of the songs will be so-so. I think throughout most of the 80’s and especially the early 90’s the overall quality (start to finish) of each album was higher, but not as many GREAT songs per album.

I read back through the entirety of this thread btw and there’s some funny stuff. Night Prowler being painfully unimpressed with the chorus of (almost) every Saxon song, Forostar talking about how good Unleash the Beast is for about 7 years straight, and finally Kalata’s reviews of Saxons albums where he specifically mentions how good the riffs are in every song. Quality stuff.

Like Motorhead, I group their albums in sixes.

Saxon - Crusader - Britain (sailing to America!)
Innocence - Dogs - Usa west and then south (walking through Tokyo!)
Beast - Labyrinth - Euro
Arms - Damnation - World? idk

I'm old so love the first 3, but their 21st century run is exceptional.

You know, I dog on Saxon a lot, but when I sit down and look at all their albums, they've stayed consistent and released very solid material throughout the years.
This. Consistent in what they do best.
The opener Battalions of Steel is AMAZING!
Battalions Of Steel is easily one of their best songs. But I don't like the mix of the vocals on this and in Valley Of The Kings.
My most replayed songs currently are: ...Hold On
Love Hold On. Great melodic and memorable vocal ideas.
My favourite Saxon song about rocking has to be ‘Rock is our life’.
Rock Is Our Life is great and classic Saxon. Riff and chorus!
Forever Free has actually been my favorite so far. Excellent guitar driven commercial hard rock. These riffs seriously kill!
Forever Free contains great riffs indeed. Catchy riffs is one of Saxon's trademarks since the beginning.
Sacrifice was another huge surprise. From the opening notes of that album I thought "Andy Sneap has got to be behind this" and well guess what. Sacrifice is probably their most true sounding "power" metal album. The first side of this album rules. I actually don't think there's a single bad song here. Guardians of the Tomb is very quietly the best power metal song they've ever done. Made in Belfast has a lot of creative stuff going on and there's some gems in the bonus content on this album. Sacrifice is very much so worth a listen if you have not heard it.
Sacrifice has a great overall vibe.
Sorry for the 2+ year old quote, but this is a sentiment I agree with. I’m about 8 albums in to my Saxon deep dive (choosing albums at random more or less) and it is interesting that in recent years they are guaranteed to be 2 to 3 absolute masterclasses on each new Saxon album, but the rest of the songs will be so-so. I think throughout most of the 80’s and especially the early 90’s the overall quality (start to finish) of each album was higher, but not as many GREAT songs per album.
If I have to rank the albums in groups (as a whole piece):

Good: Unleash The Beast, Innocence Is No Excuse.
Solid: Hell, Fire And Damnation, Carpe Diem, Destiny (big fan of it), Solid Ball Of Rock, Call To Arms (I guess), Strong Arm Of The Law, Denim And Leather, Power And The Glory, Dogs Of War, Sacrifice.
Nice: Rock The Nations, Thunderbolt, Wheels Of Steel, The Inner Sanctum.
Not a fan of: debut, Battering Ram, Crusader, Forever Free, Lionheart, Into The Labyrinth, Killing Ground, Metalhead (despite the heaviness).

My favorite gems of theirs are: Speed Merchants, Guardians Of The Tomb, Mists Of Avalon, State Of Grace, Witchfinder General, Killing Ground, Dragon's Lair, Deeds Of Glory, Conquistador, Circle Of Light, Bloodletter, Hold On, Can't Stop Rockin', Lights In The Sky, I Can't Wait Anymore, We Came Here To Rock, Rockin' Again, Nightmare.

Interesting to see Brian Tatler playing with Saxon now. One of the perennial questions of the NWOBHM is why Diamond Head didn't become as big as they should of done..... good guitarist although its a shame Paul Quinn isn't upto it anymore.
Bad management, maybe ?

Certainly contributed didn't the lead singer's mum manage them for a while? I am sure she tried her best but it serves to emphasise how important Rod Smallwood was to Maidens rise.
Having a family member doing the management stuff is never a great idea, unless you are Wendy Dio or Sharon Osbourne. But, involving family into some music business, in particular, and any kind of business, in general, is bringing only troubles.

Back