SAXON SURVIVOR 2012 RESULTS: Lionheart triumphant

Satisfied with the results

• Total voters
Some calculated risks there. Protecting my favourites and forcing you guys to do the same.
And doing some finger-crossing.

Terminal Velocity
Thin Red Line
The Preacher
Hold On
Yesterday's Gone

Really tough to choose now, even some great (8) songs that I voted for. Still staying away from P&G songs, but that might change for next round.

Just wanted to say that my votes were correct but my previous post wasn't (I just replaced Yesterday's Gone with Power and the Glory, in accordance with the votes). Sorry for the confusion.

- 2 songs per album get promoted to the playoffs.
- 10 songs that survive until the end of the album rounds also get promoted to the playoffs.
- Until we get to the final 10 songs you can vote for as many songs as you want.
- Once we reach the top 10, votes get limited to 3 votes. Top 5 means 2 votes only and Top 3 means just the 1 vote. If you vote for more songs at these stages, I just won't count your votes.
- I'll eliminate as many songs as I deem necessary to keep the game fair and moving quickly.
- Rounds will be two days long

Eliminated last round: Hold On, Yesterday’s Gone, Terminal Velocity, The Preacher

That was definitely the best group of songs we've eliminated in this game, but it went pretty much like I expected.
Terminal Velocity :goodbye:

Now after two albums of greatness we return to the more basic Saxon formula: a few good songs, one great song and a forgettable rest.

Interesting. I hadn't expected the next album already, but I guess it's a good step.
Considered doing one more Beast round, but it's pretty clear all three of us are fans of what was left.
Thought it would be more interesting (and ultimately more fair) to see how it stacks up against what's to come.

Exactly my thoughts (didn't think of it before, but indeed a good idea). If NP and Cosmiceddie would come back to this survivor, we'll force them to listen to some strong material. ;)

Hmm, Sea of Life never made much of an impact before.
But on relisten, it's a damn good song. Very Eagle Has Landed feel, and the main lick is very catchy.
Be nice if a few more emerge like that in the next few albums.
Not sure which way I'm going to go next round.

Both the instrumental sections in parts of Prisoner and Watching You contain a taste of the melodic touch we got from the previous albums. Really nice guitar work. Unfortunately the other parts of these songs are not strong enough to match these moments.
All Guns Blazing lacks that melodic touch. It has a rather OK riff with cool vocals in the couplets but that's also not enough to match itself with the older songs. Older and rather quickly executed songs like Night Hunter and One Step Away were better imo. I agree with the other songs you voted for.

However:
To be completely frank and open about this: I have heard this whole album three times now and I feel that none of these songs are as good as the older stuff we've left. Conquistador has a great intro, but the song itself is less adventurous. I have a soft spot for the solos in Metalhead (simple but cool chords underneath) but again this is quite short compared to the repetitive and monotone rest of the music. Sea of Life is certainly the most interesting. Outstanding first solo and nice chorus as well! Still I believe this song could have been so much better if it were shorter. Take the last two minutes for example. :/

I'm afraid not much support from my side can be expected for this material.

I think Metalhead is a good album. These four are the weakest songs, and also the ones I'm voting for:

Are We Travellers In Time?
What Goes Around
Song Of Evil
Piss Off

- 10 songs that survive until the end of the album rounds also get promoted to the playoffs.
- Until we get to the final 10 songs you can vote for as many songs as you want.
- Once we reach the top 10, votes get limited to 3 votes. Top 5 means 2 votes only and Top 3 means just the 1 vote. If you vote for more songs at these stages, I just won't count your votes.
- I'll eliminate as many songs as I deem necessary to keep the game fair and moving quickly.

Relistening yet again, trying to find some way to separate the eight 0r ten songs that could get my vote.
One song that will not be getting it is Metalhead.
Awesomely paranoid comic book lyric, catchy melody, emotional solo, and what a fist-pumper.
Mainstream metal riffing does not get much darker and heavier.

This will be a really tough choice. I think that the songs we'll lose this round will be even better than during Unleash The Beast round 2, we've got a really strong group of songs here. Just too bad that Prisoner and Watching You were eliminated, although I probably would have voted for Watching You this round anyway. I have to give all the songs a good relisten.

I've made my choices, also put my scores for the songs:

Nightmare (After relistening, this is the worst song in the poll. Should have voted it out earlier. It gets a 6.)
Burning Wheels (8)
Thin Red Line (8)
Conquistador (8)
All Guns Blazing (8)

Might as well get Metalhead out of the game. Title track and Sea Of Life are the only tracks I'd keep to the finals anyway.

Cut out the Disease because it is the least good song remaining.
Nightmare, Conquistador, All Guns Blazing because the game needs to keep moving so some good songs need to die.

Back