• Total voters
Suzie Hold On
SOS
Song For Emma
I Just Can't Get Enough
Baptism Of Fire
I'm On Fire
Overture In B-Minor / Refugee

Too bad. SOS has one of the better choruses. The other song I find pretty good but I can imagine if others get rid of it. A matter of taste.

- 2 songs per album get promoted to the playoffs.
- 10 songs that survive until the end of the album rounds also get promoted to the playoffs.
- Until we get to the final 10 songs you can vote for as many songs as you want.
- Once we reach the top 10, votes get limited to 3 votes. Top 5 means 2 votes only and Top 3 means just the 1 vote. If you vote for more songs at these stages, I just won't count your votes.
- I'll eliminate as many songs as I deem necessary to keep the game fair and moving quickly.
- Rounds will be two days long

Eliminated last round: Suzie Hold On, SOS, Song For Emma, Requiem, I Just Can’t Get Enough, Baptism of Fire, I’m on Fire, Overture in B Minor/Refugee

Promoted to the playoffs: Wheels of Steel, 747 (Strangers in the Night), Ride Like The Wind, Red Alert

I'm not ready to say this is Saxon's worst album (to be fair, I'll need a relisten)
I will say it is its least memorable. Just meh.

Nowhere near their worst album. Most of the songs are OK
But just three songs above that level.

I was pretty negative about this album in the Saxon topic. Now I must admit that the first two songs are pretty good and I need to hear the rest again soon (I'll try tomorrow).

Alright. Not that easy to decide which are the best two but one thing I know for sure: I like Hole in the Sky the most.

Best of the rest (3 songs that deserve more attention and I'll replay them a couple of time):
- The opening and title track Forever Free has the best couplets,
- One Step Away the best chorus (an awesome chorus) and
- Nighthunter has the best solo segments and perhaps this song is even the best as a whole. It's doesn't drag, nice and short, just good.

- 10 songs that survive until the end of the album rounds also get promoted to the playoffs.
- Until we get to the final 10 songs you can vote for as many songs as you want.
- Once we reach the top 10, votes get limited to 3 votes. Top 5 means 2 votes only and Top 3 means just the 1 vote. If you vote for more songs at these stages, I just won't count your votes.
- I'll eliminate as many songs as I deem necessary to keep the game fair and moving quickly.

Eliminated last round: I Just Wanna Make Love To You, Get Down and Dirty, Can’t Stop Rockin’ Grind, Cloud Nine

I think we nailed the five top songs from Forever Free, but it's time to clear the decks in preparation for the next two albums (their best).

Agreed. These Solid Ball Of Rock and Forever Free songs don't deserve to be here when Dogs Of War joins the game.

Altar Of The Gods
Iron Wheels
One Step Away
Nighthunter

1. Altar of the Gods
  2. Iron Wheels
Dogs of War also has some weak songs. But when I played it a few days ago I already liked it better compared with the first spin. Yesterday I ordered Unleash the Beast on CD, Saxon's best album, by a mile.

I agree about Beast, but I am also a sucker for big crunching British Steel-style power chords.
And Dogs has that in spades, as well as pounding drums, fist-pumping bass guitar that is allowed to step out front in the mix and some sweet melodies that are never allowed to get syrupy.
It's got a lot of good songs, but my favourite thing about it is simply the way it sounds.
It's a slab of sonic bliss.

I predict it might come down to this: mckindog likes AC/DC, Forostar does not.
But, agreed - next round.

Not a bad thought, but you may add another band (one I am not sure you like or find the comparison correct). Plus the copying of a third (which is actually a favourite band of mine) plays a role as well. Actually I have already written down why I am voting for certain tracks. The others are really good though! Don't worry, it won't be total slaughter.

Eliminated last round: Altar of the Gods, One Step Away, Iron Wheels

Promoted to the playoffs: Solid Ball of Rock, Lights in The Sky

Dogs of War sounds awesome but half of it ought to leave.

In this round my votes go to these 5 songs:

1. Burning Wheels: couplets are a serious rip-off from Delivering the Goods (Judas Priest)
2. Don’t Worry: a marvelous instrumental section (great harmony and following solo) but I don’t like the Def Leppard-goes-country chorus.
3. Big Twin Rolling (Coming Home): stupid boogie song; the type of which Saxon made too many
4. Demolition Alley: I really like the intro, but not much else is happening later on. Way too lengthy: longer than The Great White Buffalo! Also the couplets sounds too much like Priest’s You’ve got Another Thing Coming.
5. Walking through Tokyo: Another song with a monotone Def Leppard chorus not fitting that well to my taste. Also the first Japanese sounding solo is not the greatest idea (2nd is cool tho).

No way that these are better than quite a few songs eliminated in previous rounds.

Surprisingly enough, few serious objections to your take Foro.
You nailed why Don't Worry and Tokyo are the two worst tracks and I agree with your take on Demolition Alley too - they wasted that awesome intro.
And Saxon does have too many stupid boogie songs. Big Twin is maybe their best song of this type though.
They're no ZZ Top, but I think this one is kinda fun.
My only serious objection is Burning Wheels because that song kicks serious ass.
Never saw the resemblance to Delivering the Goods before, but you are right, it is there.
But it certainly isn't enough to make me look at Burning Wheels as some kind of weak ripoff.
Besides, Burning Wheels is faster, more intense and has better melodies. (And I am a fan of Goods).
It's better than a lot of songs that have advanced to the playoffs.

Mckindog, you explained well what you like about Burning Wheels. I just played it again to refocus again on the strength of the whole track instead of the couplets only, but I'm afraid I will be voting for it again, because I really like the other 5 Dogs (and older songs) better.

Back