SAXON SURVIVOR 2012 RESULTS: Lionheart triumphant

Satisfied with the results

• Total voters
You know using the same 1-10 scale I used on the old Daily Song rankings, I give Battle Cry an eight (excellent), Waiting for the Night a seven (good) and Rock the Nations a 7 1/2. I don't know if I would give the best of the rest even a five (meh).
It's a bad album.

- 2 songs per album get promoted to the playoffs.
- 10 songs that survive until the end of the album rounds also get promoted to the playoffs.
- Until we get to the final 10 songs you can vote for as many songs as you want.
- Once we reach the top 10, votes get limited to 3 votes. Top 5 means 2 votes only and Top 3 means just the 1 vote. If you vote for more songs at these stages, I just won't count your votes.
- I'll eliminate as many songs as I deem necessary to keep the game fair and moving quickly.
- Rounds will be two days long

Eliminated last round: The last six songs from Rock The Nations
In walks Destiny, Saxon's most despised album, but not its worst

Add the terrible decision to market Saxon as a hair band to the super-glossy AOR production and little wonder this album failed.
Stepping back from that though, the songwriting depth is actually clearly superior to the previous three albums. And Ride Like the Wind is a great cover.
I'm going to have to think on this one a bit.

- 10 songs that survive until the end of the album rounds also get promoted to the playoffs.
- Until we get to the final 10 songs you can vote for as many songs as you want.
- Once we reach the top 10, votes get limited to 3 votes. Top 5 means 2 votes only and Top 3 means just the 1 vote. If you vote for more songs at these stages, I just won't count your votes.
- I'll eliminate as many songs as I deem necessary to keep the game fair and moving quickly.

Eliminated Where the Lightning Strikes, For Whom the Bell Tolls, We Are Strong, Jericho Siren.
Waiting for the Night eliminated in the tiebreaker. Battle Cry and Rock the Nations promoted to the playoffs.

Round 1 hasn't closed yet! Whatever, nothing worthwhile was lost.

I set that round for three days instead of the normal two just to make sure Foro had a chance to vote.
Since he did, I decided to go ahead like we normally would have.
Had my blinders on and it didn't register you hadn't voted yet. Sorry man. :oops:

No worries. Like I said, nothing worthwhile was lost. Don't really like this album. Dogs Of War is when things get awesome again.

Wheels Of Steel
Warrior
I Can't Wait Anymore
Calm Before The Storm
SOS
Song For Emma

Too bad Warrior has to go in this stage. I find it a little bit more impressive than the album opener, which has the better chorus of course. But in Warrior I really dig that lead guitar @ 2:14-2:39) in this clip:
Better couplets as well I think.

Eliminated last round: I Can’t Wait Anymore, Calm Before the Storm, Warrior

I remember this album as not being very deep, but a welcome return to the NWOBHM sound the band does best.
But I haven't listened to it in a while. Time for a re-listen.

In the Saxon topic I noted that I like the album better than the last albums bar the previous:
I remember "Overture in B-Minor / Refugee" stuck out with me. Starting with a very dynamic and short instrumental, we flow into an atmospheric ballad with an especially nice clean guitar lick under the chorus.

But I ought to play the whole album again as well.

It's a little better than I remembered.
Or it least it starts out very strong before gradually falling off.
Altar of the Gods is great and marks a kind of transition for the band — the fury we hadn't seen since the early days, in a more modern, polished form that teases what they'd do on Unleash the Beast.
And Solid Ball of Rock is such a fun, fist-pumping song. Must rule live.
There are others I like, but those two definitely deserve to move on.

Altar of the Gods I do not find one of the best songs. It's fresh sounding but other than that I find it a simple rocker lacking anything grabbing. All the songs I'm not voting for contain better hooks imo.

Altar of the Gods I do not find one of the best songs. It's fresh sounding but other than that I find it a simple rocker lacking anything grabbing. All the songs I'm not voting for contain better hooks imo.
I might have been suckered in by Altar's energy after finding the last few albums lacking in that category. I agree it's not the hookiest song.
If you want to talk hooks, the chorus of I'm On Fire sticks in me for days.
If that one moves on instead of Altar, I'd be OK with that.

By the way, I am sure you must have heard but I'd like to point out the solo in I Just Can't Get Enough.
That second half. Great choice of tone, what a feel. Gives me goosebumps.

Eliminated last round: Ain't Gonna Take It, Bavarian Beaver, Crash Dive

Four great songs on this album: title track, Altar Of The Gods, Light In The Sky and Baptism Of Fire.

SOS
Song For Emma
Requiem (We Will Remember)
I Just Can't Get Enough
I'm On Fire
Overture In B-Minor / Refugee

Getting a little sticky in here.
A lot of songs with not a lot to separate them and not huge consensus on the worst.
Be helpful if Cosmic Eddie and Night Prowler jump back in.

Back