SAXON SURVIVOR 2012 RESULTS: Lionheart triumphant

Satisfied with the results

• Total voters
So, Wheels is safe for now.
There is no better venue for that song than loud on the car stereo as you head down the highway.

Battle Cry, Attila the Hun (nice call on its issues, Foro) and Lights in the Sky (fine, but nothing in it that stands out).
Wheels, Rocking Again and Hole in the Sky stood up better, but they were the others I was looking at.
I'd like to see Militia Guard and Surviving Against the Odds (great solo) last until the next round because they are better than some still to come. But they are probably next in line for me.
Assuming no one else votes and we lose the current three, we need to eliminate a minimum of two more before we bring in the next batch.

Battle Cry is one of the best on this list and one of my favorite Saxon songs. Sad to see it go so early.
I voted for: Heavy Metal Thunder, Hole in the Sky, Lights in the Sky, Give it all away, Circle of Light, Thin Red Line, and Bloodletter.

Welcome aboard Nat. This should change the dynamic of the game a lot, especially if Night Prowler is in for the stretch drive.

Natalie! Welcome but err...
7) Unleash the Beast (1997) - This was the best album by far, the most consistent, had a lot of energy, gotta give you credit for this one Foro, I'd totally forgotten about it. Unleash the Beast I had kept, but some of the others such as Absent Friends, are a pleasant re-discovery. It probably helped as it followed on from a rather monotonous few hours of earlier Saxon material.
And then you vote for 3 out of 4 available songs....
Votes for Circle of Light and Thin Line in this stage?! o_O

Circle of Light with its Maidenish touch is very heavy (and dark) and so is Heavy Metal Thunder (easily the heaviest song of the eighties). Thin Line has a brilliant chorus, powerful and melodic.

Let me also stress the strong sides of Bloodletter one more time. This song features Byford at his very best. Excellent fast and dynamic singing. The song itself has some mighty riffs. Love the chorus with cool guitar melody underneath with it's Halfordish screams. The song reminds me of a Halford song combined with eighties Priest.

They evidently work better in the context of the album than on their own. When I took a listen to each song for this round, the ones I voted for were the one's I thought most mediocre, but that doesn't mean I didn't think more of these were not that great. What I'm not understanding is how stuff like Battle Cry and Attila the Hun are being voted for when they're some of Saxon's best material imo. Saxon have an ocean of really similar-sounding 80's average metal and anything thats not that gets points in my book.

Not voting to save it? I'm with Foro on that track, but you and Nat could take it a long way.
Vap hasn't tipped his hand on that one.

Edit: and with your votes, this Survivor officially gets interesting. Is the return of Cosmic Eddie too much to ask for?

They evidently work better in the context of the album than on their own. When I took a listen to each song for this round, the ones I voted for were the one's I thought most mediocre, but that doesn't mean I didn't think more of these were not that great. What I'm not understanding is how stuff like Battle Cry and Attila the Hun are being voted for when they're some of Saxon's best material imo. Saxon have an ocean of really similar-sounding 80's average metal and anything thats not that gets points in my book.
Well, it looks like we both don't understand what the other(s) are doing. I explained what I find less about Battle Cry and Attila by zooming in at the songs themselves and part of your explanation is that some songs don't work that well on their own.

What strikes me more is that you complain in general about 1980s material, I learned you are a huge fan of the recent stuff, thus you vote for nineties stuff the most. I can understand that you find some of the nineties songs sounding very eighties, but Circle of Light certainly doesn't. Much more a darker style. Ministry of Fools is much more in a 1980s mode. Even Biff Byford says this himself, commenting on these and other songs in the album booklet. Not that I'm complaining that you didn't vote for Ministry (a great song, which I find more important than the style its in) but it surprises and confuses me.

O well, it's just a game, and to end more positive: certainly not a dull one.
*broods on next steps*

Hmmm...
Looks like I didn't need to vote Militia Guard or Surviving. Ended up killing them myself.
(Unless another voter is waiting for the last five minutes).
Oh well, they weren't going that much further anyway.
Heavy Metal Thunder is a surprise and a disappointment.

First round is easy for me — all the songs that got undeserved passes.
These ones are worse, or no better, than the ones we eliminated in the quarter-finals: State of Grace, Shadows on the Wall, Killing Ground, Forever Free, Rock the Nations, Frozen Rainbow.

Back