SAXON SURVIVOR 2012 RESULTS: Lionheart triumphant

Satisfied with the results

• Total voters
Solid Ball? Guys...:mad:
Such a fun song.

And we see a real divide open with Foro going easier on the lost years and Vap favouring the modern era.

For the next round you guys need to look hard at Frozen Rainbow.
As a two-song suite Rainbow Theme/Frozen Rainbow is excellent, very atmospheric with a progressive structure.
On its own, Frozen Rainbow is a bittersweet guitar solo leading into a more up-tempo outro — it's nice to listen to, but it's incomplete.
If I did the game over again, I would count the suite as a single track.

To be honest I have no clue why it was separated because the beginning of the suite is the same as the end. Separated by the band I mean.

So in this 2-song suite we have two half songs in each of the two parts.
first part: Rainbow Theme aka A1+B1 (vocals and guitar harmonies):

second part: Frozen Rainbow aka B2 (solo) + A2:

So either it should have been one song (not a suite), either it should have been a 3-song suite:
Rainbow Theme part 1 (A1)
Frozen Rainbow (B1B2)
Rainbow Theme part 2 (A2)

On "best of" albums, and live concerts it's always connected and it makes more sense.

EDIT: something else went totally wrong in this survivor, because we eliminated the wrong half of the suite: Rainbow Theme is much better.

I've been reviewing the band discography in order to prep for the home stretch and decided this Survivor is about to get tough.
This band has released more than 180 songs, at least a third of which are forgettable and easy to cut — 5/10 or less.
Another third are OK — sixes or sevens — and we've managed to weed them all, as well as a handful of other songs that deserved better.
What's left is a nice group of eights/nines with very little to choose between the best and worst.
I've got five or six songs I'm pencilling into the top 10, but the difference between say eight and 28 ain't much.

For the record: Terminal Velocity, Burning Wheels and Solid Ball of Rock would have been in my top 20.
One more overlooked track going back a few rounds: Valley of the Kings is not as good as the two Labyrinth songs that survived, but I am not sure why it was an easy first-round knockout.
It's got nice variation, a good power-metal riff, epic feel and a catchy melody. It deserved playoff consideration.

Red Alert
Killing Ground
Witchfinder General
Demon Sweeney Todd
Hammer of the Gods
Ballad of the Working Man

This was a tough one for me. I ended up voting for the ones that stood out to me most as mediocre but had a hard time picking between the first and second tier (lets call the ones I picked third tier). I completely agree with mckindog, you nailed it right there.

Thank you for saving Solid Ball :applause: (for the time being)
Edit: Nat, I'll count them, but you didn't click on your choices.

Thank you for saving Solid Ball :applause:
This makes me curious. Did you make this post before Night Prowler voted or after? Is Solid Ball (and are other songs with three votes) still saved at this moment?

If so, then you'll only eliminate songs with the most votes (right now that's four, so not songs with three votes)?

Format is explained at the top and bottom of this thread:
http://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/saxon-survivor-2012-call-to-arms-round-1.24091/

Eliminated last round: Rock The Nations, Forever Free, Red Alert, Solid Ball of Rock, Killing Ground, Shadows on the Wall

Regarding Foro's voting cutoff question last round: my rule of thumb is 'whatever keeps the game fair and moving quickly.' So far that's usually meant three of five, or two of three, but it could change as we go along. And yes, I posted my Solid Ball celebration prematurely (*glares at Night Prowler*)

Sailing To America
Ride Like The Wind
Witchfinder General
State Of Grace
Call To Arms
Ballad Of A Working Man

Bloodletter
Ai. This energetic Halford style jewel is a top three song for me, at least from this current bunch, but who knows also from everything we've left (not sure yet). I'll try to protect it, so I might vote differently this time.

Midas Touch is a song in the vein of the Rainbow suite. And it's still complete. ;-)
So no votes from me for that one (at least not yet).

This is a very tightly bunched group of songs for me. For me, there's only one song that has a vote right now that doesn't deserve one.
I'd have no problem with Bloodletter advancing to the finals, or Midas Touch.
(For the record though, Midas Touch is just as repetitive as Power and Glory. I'm just saying. :devil:)

Midas Touch is top ten material.
I wouldn't go that far, but it's a good track and I'd have no problem with it in the top 20.
Given the filler they've produced over the years, I find it hard to believe it wasn't even on the original North American vinyl release.
It was one of the first import tracks I ever sought out and bought — the B side of the Nightmare single back in the early '80s when I was in high school.
I actually first heard it on the radio. There was a Seattle station that would come in up here if the weather conditions were right, and it had a great weekly metal program.
Heard it on there and was immediately all "I've got to have it!"
It was probably months before I heard it again after finally discovering and buying a copy at an import record store in the city.
Discovering music was a lot different before the internet.

Back