Satellite 15.. The Final Frontier

How good is Satellite 15.. The Final Frontier on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Satellite 15....The Final Frontier

Moonchild33 said:
Three possibilities:
- Zak Starkey
- Mike Sturgis
- just a drum machine.

My money's on the third option.

Well then the song better be properly attributed in the album credits. "(Adrian Smith, Steve Harris, Robot Drum Machine)"

The Final Frontier has grown a lot on me. I think it will be the opening song for the gigs next year, and I think it will work good. It's a bit different from openers like Wicker Man and Different World, and I think that's a good think.

But I'm not a fan of Satellite 15.. It's just weird, and I don't think it should have been on the album. It could have worked as a b'side, but that's it.

Poto said:
The Final Frontier has grown a lot on me. I think it will be the opening song for the gigs next year, and I think it will work good. It's a bit different from openers like Wicker Man and Different World, and I think that's a good think.

But I'm not a fan of Satellite 15.. It's just weird, and I don't think it should have been on the album. It could have worked as a b'side, but that's it.

seriously the final frontier is so good. it would have been fucking awesome to open the album with it. instead it has the weird corky satellite 15.... not really a fan. although i don't hate it. i'm diging bruces vocals

A nearly drug-induced rythmic twisting intro with a monologue of vocals, introducing the end of a man's journey through space...and life. The title "The Final Frontier" is a double entendre for both his travels through space and his soon-to-be passing into death...the TRUE final frontier.

S15 and TFF could almost be counted as 2 separate songs. In fact, that's how I look at it so we really got 11 songs on the album.

Re: In Satellite 15...TFF, do you hear 2 solos or 3?

I hear 2 solo's

Adrian then Dave 

*shrugs* . . . I could be wrong.

Ya, if there are 3, it's a bit hard to tell where the 2nd one ends and the third starts, but I'm sure I hear it that way. We'll know for sure when they do it live.

Exactly, I mean I hear 2 solo's but that doesn't mean there are only 2 solo's. It could easily go either way. We'll just have to wait and see.

Can we merge this into the Satellite 15... The Final Frontier thread?

Look Travis, when you wonder if people hear 2 or 3 solos in the opening track, then go to the topic of that specific song (or the solo topic: see, you have enough choice to draw attention) and do your stuff.

I'd appreciate it if you don't open a topic for every question you want to ask. You regularly start unnecessary topics, where instead you sometimes can use other threads to put in your thoughts.

I am not a mod but I assume they have enough work to do, and personally I think it's annoying to see all these "double topics".

Thanks, much appreciated.

S15 is definitely a drum machine because unless Nicko has 3 arms he couldn't possibly play the rhythm on the toms at the same time as the snare, shame really cos it's a killer beat, would be awesome as a show intro

Moonchild33 said:
Three possibilities:
- Zak Starkey
- Mike Sturgis
- just a drum machine.

My money's on the third option.

Based on previous interviews with Adrian, he often demos Maiden material using a drum machine to give rhythmic ideas, so yeah, it's definitely the case here. Instead of wasting the time re-recording it, Steve felt the demo had a cool vibe to it already, so they simply used it as is. Which explains why it is sonically so different that the rest of the album, as well.

Rikstewart said:
S15 is definitely a drum machine because unless Nicko has 3 arms he couldn't possibly play the rhythm on the toms at the same time as the snare, shame really cos it's a killer beat, would be awesome as a show intro

Unless Maiden comes out and says it themselves, I refuse to accept that Maiden would insult Nicko by using a drum machine to play the drums on a Maiden album.

What I am more inclined to believe is that there are two drum tracks....just the same as Bruce's voice is layered  for backing vocals.

Edit: Looking back, it seems Steve DID sort of imply that, by saying it was from an Adrian demo. Interesting...though he didn't outright say it...so the jury is still out...a little.

Khan said:
Unless Maiden comes out and says it themselves, I refuse to accept that Maiden would insult Nicko by using a drum machine to play the drums on a Maiden album.

What I am more inclined to believe is that there are two drum tracks....just the same as Bruce's voice is layered  for backing vocals.

Edit: Looking back, it seems Steve DID sort of imply that, by saying it was from an Adrian demo. Interesting...though he didn't outright say it...so the jury is still out...a little.

Im pretty sure Nico is OK with this.The drumming pattern is played in a none human way. I cant hear any bass on the track either. Im pretty sure its just Adrian, Bruce, and the drume machine.

Khan said:

If the whole point of the song is to be an atmospheric intro that will never be played live, I don't see why Nicko would give a sh*t.

Khan said:

Khan did you listen to the BBC interview? Steve says they just used the demo tape. Adrian suggested re-recording, but Steve was like, "lets just use it. Like the way it sounds"

Don't know if this is just my copy, but has anyone else noticed that during Sat 15 when the double bass kicks in, the snare starts to skip at the start of every bar? Sounds like a horrible editing error. I kinda hope it wasn't intentional, because it sounds crap.  :huh:

I get why everybody is concentrating on the Satellite 15 portion, but I don't think The Final Frontier half is getting enough love.
I don't want this to come across as some kind of reverse snobbery because I love the epics as much as the next guy, but the catchy straight-ahead songs have always been an important piece of the Maiden package for me too.
This one is right there with tracks like Icarus, Wasted Years and Different World.

Back