Satellite 15.. The Final Frontier

How good is Satellite 15.. The Final Frontier on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Satellite 15....The Final Frontier

There are actually a few on the IMFC board who have the lyrics.  And they are holding them over everyone on some sort of power trip.  I don't really get it.  Then again, to be fair, we'll know all the lyrics in 2 weeks anyway.

It's interesting to see that Satellite 15 does in fact contain lyrics.  After reading about how different it was, I'm still sort of wondering why Maiden didn't make these two into different songs, but I'm sure we'll all know more about that soon enough.

With regards to The Final Frontier part of the song, it's very much in the Wildest Dreams mold with a much stronger melody.  It's a tad simple, but pretty effective.  The solos are quite good, and this will be the first lead in song to feature 2 solos since the reunion which is nice to hear.

The chorus repetition is a bit much, but I don't mind it so much.  These kind of choruses were all over Brave New World.

I can't wait to hear the full song now!

dhmaiden said:
I am dhmaiden. haha. I just quoted what the guy with the lyrics said. But if you don't need spoilers than okay.
Here are 2 verses from Starblind:

Take my eyes the things I`ve seen
In this world coming to an end
My reflection fades. I`m weary
Of these earthly bones and skin

You may pass through me and
Leave no trace I have
no mortal face
Solar winds are whispering
You may hear me call

As I've stated before, Starblind is one of the songs I am anticipating. I don't know why, exactly. Maybe the religious theme of the song has got me interested enough. These lyrics sound great, either way, and has me even more exited for this song, and the album as a whole  :)

mozzle said:
"the house of lords swiftly turned into a house of cards, blown away in this illusive world, a sinful state of decay" A line from Where The Wild Wind Blows? It sounds like it has to do with nuclear fallout

Those lyrics do not appear in any of the songs on this album.

Not sure why they didn't make this two songs.  Other than the lyrics they aren't even remotely the same.

Still, a cool and unique intro and a good sing along song. 

Is it me or does Final Frontier only really have one riff, or a variation of one riff?  It's certainly a vocal based song with 2 amazing solos.

Satellite was boring me to tears but thank fuck the fast kick drum kicked in (no pun intended). Final Frontier is another story, what an awesome track. Loving the Davey solo.

Donner said:
Still, a cool and unique intro and a good sing along song. 

Is it me or does Final Frontier only really have one riff, or a variation of one riff?  It's certainly a vocal based song with 2 amazing solos.
it is. when i decided to learn to play it I thought I would have to write the chords down like I did with El Dorado but it is the same thing. The solos and Bruce's vocal performance makes up for it though.

brother2 said:
Satellite was boring me to tears but thank fuck the fast kick drum kicked in (no pun intended). Final Frontier is another story, what an awesome track. Loving the Davey solo.

Does anyone know for sure that it's not a drum machine on Sat 15? It sounds to me like it is... not to mention the fact that Adrian said in an interview that this track was taken from a demo he had put together earlier in France... Either way, I can guarantee they won't play this live; rather, it will be piped in ala Churchill's speech, with the band kicking into Final Frontier.

Um, a drum machine?

... he took the song idea from a demo tape. They would never use a demo tape on an album...

Suicidehummer said:
Um, a drum machine?

... he took the song idea from a demo tape. They would never use a demo tape on an album...

From the Bruce Rock Hard interview:
"His 1st song or I should say his intro (Satellite 15..... TFF) is a bit odd I reckon because it comes from an old demo tape of Adrian. A part of this intro has a weakest sound, a lower resolution. But the sound mixing gives a big effect and when the song begins, the produced effect is astonishing!"

Tough to glean from the translation, but it almost sounds like Shirley took the demo tracks and beefed them up. Not sure why that would be so odd... Meshuggah recorded an entire album using a drum machine, and they have one of the most talented drummers out there... just a matter of what kind of mechanical/spacy vibe you are going for. And if you want to spend time re-recording something that already has a certain raw "feel" that would be impossible to duplicate.

I thought the intro would be a lot better after hearing all these reviewers hyping it up. But it's nothing spectacular, I was expecting something more atmospheric and just chaotic.

asscoffee said:
"His 1st song or I should say his intro (Satellite 15..... TFF) is a bit odd I reckon because it comes from an old demo tape of Adrian. A part of this intro has a weakest sound, a lower resolution. But the sound mixing gives a big effect and when the song begins, the produced effect is astonishing!"

Tough to glean from the translation, but it almost sounds like Shirley took the demo tracks and beefed them up. Not sure why that would be so odd... Meshuggah recorded an entire album using a drum machine, and they have one of the most talented drummers out there... just a matter of what kind of mechanical/spacy vibe you are going for. And if you want to spend time re-recording something that already has a certain raw "feel" that would be impossible to duplicate.

I suppose we'll find out if/when Kevin Shirley makes his session diaries public. He hinted months ago that he was just waiting for the OK from Rod... anyone know if he's even going to bother at this point?

asscoffee said:

... no.

Suicidehummer said:
Um, a drum machine?

BAM  BBC Interview. Steve says they use Demo Tape. Check it out for yourself.

I heard that in some interview Harris said this (Final Frontier) was the "hardest song they had ever written"?  I don't know too much of how to define a "hard song" (sorry) but would this really be the case?  I heard the same thing about Brighter than a Thousand Suns.

Regardless, I think Satellite 15 is a perfect intro song as the completely different style of music does wonders setting the stage for the rest of the album. 

Final Frontier is terrific, too.  Probably tied with The Man Who Would be King and/or The Alchemist for my least favorite, but still absolutely fantastic.

mozzle said:
BAM  BBC Interview. Steve says they use Demo Tape. Check it out for yourself.

Cool, I'll have to check that interview out. Thanks for the confirmation... makes sense. I mean, listen to the percussion during this track--it's totally mechanical. Nicko is a super loose player--just listen to his high-hat work during the "galloping bass" sections of El Dorado--he's drifting all over the place. Not a bad thing, that's just the way he plays (although, IMO, they probably could have afforded to try another take to tighten that up a bit :) ).

Back