Satellite 15 . . . The Final Frontier: Video Impressions Here

Just saw the video, and I'm pretty impressed. A long time ago I had to accept that crappy CGI was going to be a recurring trend in Maiden videos, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that this wasn't so bad. Did anyone else catch the Indiana Jones and Alien references? Nice touch. All around good video, and easily the best Maiden has ever released.

As for the song, I like it. I'm not going to say anything more than that, as I'm reserving judgment for when I hear it unedited on the official album. It left a good first impression though, especially those solos.

I just got home from work and watched the video. I have not yet read anything posted by anyone else, so if I repeat something that has been discussed to death already, sorry.

Great video. I hope they make a few more like it to clear up the plot a bit. It looks to me like the key operates some kind of planet-destroying device - but who built it and why.

Eddie looks badass in this video, maybe because you never get more than a quick look. Much better than the album art. And yet we can see how this video ties into the album art. Like I said, I hope there's a story developing around all this...

As for the song, I like it - but it's hard to process when watching the video. I'll have to go back and run it a few more times, just listening. Two things about the song jumped out: Yes, it is the one-line chorus, but it's a fast line. They get through 4x of "the final frontier" faster than 2x of "no more lies". The other thing: I definitely heard the words "somewhere in time" in the second verse. It can't be coincidence. Maiden doesn't drop one of their album titles into a lyric by accident.

I thought (without looking it up) that this song was supposed to be more like 8 minutes. If that means there's 3 more minutes on the album, I'm stoked.
Dominocracy said:
Did anyone else catch the Indiana Jones and Alien references? Nice touch.

Indiana Jones was really obvious. Alien not as much - I'm assuming you mean the way Eddie rises up behind the astronaut-dude silently?

In fact, Indiana Jones was so obvious, I'm shocked they did it. It's the one thing in the video I didn't like. C'mon Maiden, wasn't there anything with more originality you could have done instead?

I thought the Indiana Jones reference was cool. It's obviously a tribute and it's no different to Maiden making a tribute to a band that inspired them.

Maybe. Perhaps. I don't mean to say it was bad. It just struck me more like "copycat" instead of "tribute". But I can see where maybe tribute was intended and it just went over my head. :bigsmile:

Dominocracy said:
Just saw the video, and I'm pretty impressed. A long time ago I had to accept that crappy CGI was going to be a recurring trend in Maiden videos, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that this wasn't so bad. Did anyone else catch the Indiana Jones and Alien references? Nice touch. All around good video, and easily the best Maiden has ever released.

As for the song, I like it. I'm not going to say anything more than that, as I'm reserving judgment for when I hear it unedited on the official album. It left a good first impression though, especially those solos.

Definitely, my first thought was its similarity to the movies, especially Eddie sneaking upon the ship.  Like you said, I'll reserve my judgement when the full CD comes out.
Jesiff said:
I found something quite interesting, this really shows how much the effects kill the song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNmC-z6sbI8

Just browsing through stuff with this song playing in the background... It strangely seems like it's removing the effects by itself... :ninja:

That definitely ruined the song.

The more I listen to this song, the more I like it.  I'm beginning to feel that it's the best opener since Sign of the Cross, but i'll reserve judgment until I hear the full song on the album unedited, hopefull no sound effects during the song, and no mp3 compression.

i like it so far, cant wait to hear it on the album with the intro and hopefully without sound effects,
i dunno how they'll work the gap between though as the video seemed like we had missed the beginning... hence directors cut. So either they might keep someof the discussion from the start of the clip we saw? which would make the whole song a bit confusing  :huh: or keep all effects = disaster
or hopefully cut all the effects and have a nice steady interlude like weve heard before (can hear one in my head but cant quote the song)

overall im just excited to get my CD in August to have a good old listen, im pleased with the actual music so far even if the final frontier does seem a bit fitting for the 'live your life to the full' series (DiffWrld and WstdYrs)  
my opinion is a thumbs up  :ok:  

Took the day off work to indulge myself in the song.  There is an obvious seam, where more song will be, right as Eddie grabs the helmet of "Cleaner Six' and there is a scream.  This appears to be where the director cut out song.  Upon the first 40 odd listens, this what I got "HELL YEAH!!"  I'm loving the clean rocking blast from the start.  If Satellite 15 is considered a separate entity, that is great, as it will offer the listener more choice in whether we want to wade through a long slow intro, or get right to it.

I am damn proud of the lads tonight.  This song is a winner, much more clean and listener friendly than El Dorado. {which is also great].  I am temporarily satisfied with the two, but August 16th still can't get here fast enough!!

Edit: the sound effects are killing me!! somehow, if someone somewhere can find something without the frickin sound effects!!.....

bornless1 said:
Took the day off work to indulge myself in the song.  There is an obvious seam, where more song will be, right as Eddie grabs the helmet of "Cleaner Six' and there is a scream.  This appears to be where the director cut out song.  Upon the first 40 odd listens, this what I got "HELL YEAH!!"  I'm loving the clean rocking blast from the start.  If Satellite 15 is considered a separate entity, that is great, as it will offer the listener more choice in whether we want to wade through a long slow intro, or get right to it.

I am damn proud of the lads tonight.  This song is a winner, much more clean and listener friendly than El Dorado. {which is also great].  I am temporarily satisfied with the two, but August 16th still can't get here fast enough!!

Edit: the sound effects are killing me!! somehow, if someone somewhere can find something without the frickin sound effects!!.....

If Satellite 15 is a separate entity, and from everything I've read it is. Even to the point where there is a couple seconds of silence between the two, then why not just make it it's own song.  I mean I'm sure I'm going to love it. I'm sure it'll be great, but I don't know if I want to listen to a 5 minute instrumental right off the bat, every time. I mean why not just have it two songs. Give the listener some options. Especially if there is a couple of seconds of silence in between.

I'm currently on my third listen, and I have to say, I'm enjoying the song a lot more than when I had originally listened to it! The sound effects are actually kind of annoying, but when you're not paying attention to them, it sounds like a damn good rocker-kind of song. Definitely doesn't sound like Maiden, and not one of their best, but then again, some songs off of Dance of Death were a bit lacking in Maiden standards, like New Frontier and Gates of Tomorrow, but with those songs came Paschendale and Dance of Death. I'm sure this new record is going to have one of those somewhere in there. Something tells me that When the Wild Wind Blows, a 11-minute, Harris only track is going to make this album, similar to how Rime made Powerslave.

i know how to play the new tune on guitar except the solos and its the easiest maiden song ive ever learned really basic

Back