Sabaton

While it may be bad and all, dude probably preferred writing his own music than just playing in Sabaton where only two people get to write.

CriedWhenThobbeLeftForCheese

I really liked this song, TBH. It's an amazing bit of cheese, but it's some golden cheese. Doesn't pack as much of a punch as Sabaton, but it's catchy, and the way he pronounces "IllumiNOTi" is amazing. I'm sold.

a8opRAe_460s.jpg

The Sabaton show in Chicago was absolutely amazing. First band, Cyhra was alright but did the least amount of playing I've ever seen. All of the bass guitar, most of the backing vocals, all of the keyboard work, and some of the drums were played through tracks. It was super boring. Kreator was...so dated. Fun at first, but 75 minutes was too much. They made each side of the venue try to out cheer each other after almost every song and yelled "CHICAGO!" at least 40 times to get a reaction.

Sabaton killed it as always. I loved the new video screen, though it might have been a little too bright. Setlist was absolutely stunning: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/sabaton/2018/house-of-blues-chicago-il-53ee57ad.html

Really weird to see a complete lack of onstage amplification, though. It makes sense monetarily as the band can just go direct and not pay to ship or rent amps around the world, but I think the sound suffered a bit because of it. Overall, another great Sabaton show with the best setlist I've heard yet!

IMG_0484.JPG IMG_6999.JPG IMG_5748.JPG

The set really was excellent. My favorites were definitely Uprising, Cliffs, and Final Solution. Winged Hussars and Night Witches should be staples if you ask me, and it was cool to hear Into the Fire (which they apparently hadn’t played in a long time).

Cyhra was fine. They were ok, but the fact that they aren't really playing everything coming through the speakers was utterly sad. Kreator, which is not my favourite band, played way too long. We hung out at the soundbooth during the Kreator set to avoid the Kreator fans, who seemed to have a good time, but it was a huge assault of sound and it wasn't very good sound, if you ask me.

Sabaton, however, was on the next level. I got decently close to the barrier with my friends, and we ended up right on the corner of the pit. There was an insane amount of body surfers during Sabaton, too. The setlist was almost the same as Chicago:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/sabaton/2018/mtelus-montreal-qc-canada-3bee4010.html

The background screen was awesome. I was really impressed especially during The Final Solution. That is a hard fucking song to get over live, I think, considering the subject matter. The crowd was almost silent during it, no moshing, no crowd surfing. Respectful, with the imagery in front of them. I will admit to weeping for a moment - it was emotional.

Joakim kept saying that it had been his favourite show of the tour, and given how electric the crowd was, I believe him.

Steve Harris wishes he had a bass guitar like that, and Sabaton probably didn't have permission to play the riffs to 'Smoke on the Water' and 'Seek and Destroy' - someone call Barry McKay!

Back